AirTran Pilots Fired!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This Happened To Me At Midwest, Too

This is nothing new. In 2001, Ken Kruger, director of operations at Midwest (you know, Midwest Express), fired our entire newhire class. ALPA stepped in and said, "no, you're going to put them on furlough status." I guess ALPA used some strong language, and Midwest then put us on furlough status. Regardless, Ken Kruger is a terrible person, and so is his boss, CEO Tim Hoeksema. If I ever meet them face to face again, I'll tell them what awful people they are.

...up until Christmas/New Year's 2006/2007 when they started screwing with people...It's an absolute travesty how much good will they have squandered in this pilot group.

Did this coincide with the arrival of a new investor, prehaps a private equity or capital investment firm?

It says "(permanent)" in the actual notice? That is very strange language.

Nothing strange about the wording in our contract when it comes to getting rid of retirees before they touch line pilots. Strange is, how it's working out, or not working out is more like it.

Lear70...the infamous "Coach". What a winner he is along with his scab friends from Value-whore. The AirTran guys and gals, great group and wish them the best during this time.

Just wondering, did any of the furloughed USAirways or UAL leave AirTran and go back before this recent round of cuts at the legacy carriers?

Just wondering, did any of the furloughed USAirways or UAL leave AirTran and go back before this recent round of cuts at the legacy carriers?

Yes for UAL, not sure about USAirways. I know of several USAir that didn't go back. There were also many UAL guys that didn't go back, especially those that had upgraded or were close to upgrading at AirTran. Those from United that went back were usually guys who had been at AirTran for less than a couple of years and had several years of seniority to go back to at United.

This whole debacle ought to make it very clear that Obama is the best choice for president. At least compared to Mccain. At the very least he will appoint labor friendly judges and NMB members.

To those of you who believe he won't care I have to disagree. If you look at his voting record he has voted pro union every time. He also was a co-sponser of the "Protecting Employees And Retirees in Business Bankruptcies Act Of 2007".

Also, assuming that the dems maintain control of both the house and senate w/Obama as POTUS, I see a golden opportunity to enact landmark legislation that would drastically ease the grip of the RLA on pilots of even eliminate it totally.

I sure as hell hope ALPA has they're ducks lined up as there is a good chance of having the dems in control the WH, House & Senate for at least 2 yrs.

Now that mgmt has declared war on you, why don't you organize a grassroots fly safe campagne. This has got to be as effective as a strike if done correctly, right? With the internet it can't be all that hard to organize, can it?

Last edited:
It's interesting to note that the 177 furlough notices are pilots with a hire date of July, which is still a probie right now, but in Sept, they will be voting member of the NPA. Does the contract say anything different for probie put on furlough vs the rest of the pilot group?

Good luck to all, i learned a lot during my time there.

It's interesting to note that the 177 furlough notices are pilots with a hire date of July, which is still a probie right now, but in Sept, they will be voting member of the NPA. Does the contract say anything different for probie put on furlough vs the rest of the pilot group?

Good luck to all, i learned a lot during my time there.

the first one on the list is a 9/10/07 hire and the last is a 4/07/08 hire.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back