Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Which is why AirTran pilots will never agree to DOH.

Lear,
There may be some that would benefit from DOH. I am one of those. I would gain several hundred spots. Not sure it is better than a relative integration or what ever other model used. I have not even done the math as my opinion doesn't matter. For anyone to say they will not accept this or that is crazy as they will most likely not be asked what they think. It will be up to the 4 lucky or unlucky folks appointed to the MC. They will either be heroes or zeros in the end. Wouldn't want their job. Certain integration models work great for one demographic while sucking ass for others. In the end your guess is as good as mine because that is what it is right now. A guess.

Last edited:
Funnyman, where do you come up with these 4-1 numbers. Integration ratios were never shared with the pilot group, as the deal never happened. Quit pulling this sh!t out of your azz and speculating on what you know nothing about.

It might no be fact but it will probably be incorportated into any settlement. And 4 to 1 is about what it would be. Maybe 3.5-1 is closer but round it off to 4 to 1.

First, SWA pilots do not have any advantage in this merger, unlike with the Frontier attempt. They have no additional bargaining position.

Since both CBAs have merger protection, you can expect that if the merger is not realistic and fair it will go to binding arbitration. This is where McCaskill-Bond will kick in and force a fair integration.

I expect that in such an arbitration, the arbitrator will listen to all sides and arguments, but the bottom line he will rule that a pure percentage integration will occur. EVERYONE will keep thier same relative seniority. If you were top 2% you are end up the same. If you were a bottom 10% you end up the same. Everyone that is a Captain before remains a Captain after. This type of intgegration is reflected in the DAL/NWA SLI and the USAir/AWA (active pilots). SLIs.

I know that some will argue that the AirTran pilost would get a windfall over such a merger. Yes, the AirTran pilots do get a pay raise in the Swa cba, but that is just a fact of live. Even the last FO at AirTran gets a pay raise and there is no SLI that will take this away from him. Just becuase AirTran is half the age of SWA does not matter, ref USAir merger. Hell, even the Delta/NWA had two pilot group that were different in ages (due to most senior DAL pilots taking the lump sum retirement and leaving prior to BK, thus effectively making DAL a younger company by up to 10years over NWA.

Yes, AirTran pilots get lots of improvements. But the are NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE SWA PILOTS. The SWA pilots would be at least the same before as after. However, in the big picture, even the SWA pilots will see benefits by the growth of the company, and future profits. Both sides will see improvements, it is just that AirTran pilots will see more. But no one will see a loss. Thus I see a pure percentage integration based on the facts and precedent established over the last few years.

Just my opinion.......

FNG

First, SWA pilots do not have any advantage in this merger, unlike with the Frontier attempt. They have no additional bargaining position.

Since both CBAs have merger protection, you can expect that if the merger is not realistic and fair it will go to binding arbitration. This is where McCaskill-Bond will kick in and force a fair integration.

I expect that in such an arbitration, the arbitrator will listen to all sides and arguments, but the bottom line he will rule that a pure percentage integration will occur. EVERYONE will keep thier same relative seniority. If you were top 2% you are end up the same. If you were a bottom 10% you end up the same. Everyone that is a Captain before remains a Captain after. This type of intgegration is reflected in the DAL/NWA SLI and the USAir/AWA (active pilots). SLIs.

I know that some will argue that the AirTran pilost would get a windfall over such a merger. Yes, the AirTran pilots do get a pay raise in the Swa cba, but that is just a fact of live. Even the last FO at AirTran gets a pay raise and there is no SLI that will take this away from him. Just becuase AirTran is half the age of SWA does not matter, ref USAir merger. Hell, even the Delta/NWA had two pilot group that were different in ages (due to most senior DAL pilots taking the lump sum retirement and leaving prior to BK, thus effectively making DAL a younger company by up to 10years over NWA.

Yes, AirTran pilots get lots of improvements. But the are NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF THE SWA PILOTS. The SWA pilots would be at least the same before as after. However, in the big picture, even the SWA pilots will see benefits by the growth of the company, and future profits. Both sides will see improvements, it is just that AirTran pilots will see more. But no one will see a loss. Thus I see a pure percentage integration based on the facts and precedent established over the last few years.

Just my opinion.......

FNG

Tthis seems like a pretty spot on analysis to me.

I just wish Airtran brought retirements to the table. The delta thing is a whole different animal. Look at how many retirements they have over the next 10 years.

Just my opinion.......

FNG
Just a couple of points from someone who, thank god, has no dog in this particular fight:

1) McCaskill - Bond assures that the parties have access to arbitration. It mandates the Allegheny Mohawk LPPs Sections 3 and 13 so that neither party can waive their right to a neutral arbitrator's decision or in case one of the parties didn't have 3&13 in their contract. It does not force a "fair and equitable" resolution, rather it ensures a "fair and equitable" resolution process - the arbitration. A staple may be the decision of the arbitrator (TWA/AAL ground handlers) and Mc/Bond says nothing to prohibit that.

2) Has anyone heard SWA or SWAPA publicly say that they've reversed their heartfelt opposition to SLI arbitration? The one lesson that SWA took from their failed attempt to buy F9 is not to prematurely announce your plans. SWA announced their intention to bid for F9 and almost simultaneously announced the reduction of 20% of F9 flying and the need for mechanics and unrepresented FAs to reinterview for their jobs. If they are planning to do something that may PO the work force, I think they have learned not to telegraph it.

3) In keeping with the title of this thread take a look at what The Good Captain Kuwitzky has to say about this acquisition: "First thing, this is an acquisition and that means we actually merge operations but there is a legal distinction that this is an acquisition. We have two separate tracks we’re going to be working on for th next 6 to 8 months. One is an agreement to blend operations together and that is called a transition agreement. We’re already at work on that. That will be between SWAPA and Southwest Airlines. You have the AirTran operations governed by the AirTran pilots contract and the Southwest operations governed by the SWAPA contract....You have to put those two together. Our contract will be the governing document and we need to codify that contractually...[The transition agreement] needs to be completed by the transaction date between Southwest and AirTran. We’re looking at April 1, June 1 as the transaction date. After that, we’ll start working on a seniority list integration agreement that will be between us and the ALPA unit. The company will not be involved in that."

Read more: http://blogs.star-telegram.com/sky_...esident-capt-carl-kuwitzky.html#ixzz12LwwbDYD

Read the whole Q&A. Not real warm and fuzzy.

The only thing I know for sure about this is that I'm glad not to be involved. We FAPA folks have been on this ride for some time now and I can offer only one piece of advice - behave in your daily lives as if none of this were happening, but know that your respective jobs/companies/careers are changing. If I were an AAI guy I'd put some extra money in the bank just in case the unthinkable happens - good idea for any of us crazy enough to pin our futures on aviation.

Good luck - flame on.

Latest resources

Back