Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I understand how your point can breed some resentment however I still don't see how it would impact your career progression or bidding with a ratio integration. An arbitrator will not only look at pay but also career progression to which an argument can be made for a six year AirTran FO that will no longer be upgrading but will have to wait an additional six years to get to the left seat. I understand he will be making more money but pay is only one variable out of many that an arbitrator will factor in.

BTW, not that it matters, unless a lot of your senior pilots want to move to Georgia but the number one guy at AirTran as well as many senior pilots live in Atlanta.

I am not with either airline but just curious. I guess I did one way to merge the lists was by Relative Senority. Does that mean if you are in the top 1% at one airline then you move to the top 1% of the combined airline? If that is correct then the number one guy at AT would be close to the top of the SWA list. Is that correct? If so, that would put a 1993 guy with the 1975 guy.

You do realize that DOH has nothing to do with seniority don't you? You don't bid a line, base , vacation or anything else based on your DOH. DOH only affects your longevity for pay, pass privileges, ect. Longevity and seniority are not interrelated.

Tell that to any real union. Longevity has everything to do with seniority. Look up the word seniority or just ask every other union how seniority is defined. Little old airtran down in MCO merged with Valujet. That went DOH.

M

I am not with either airline but just curious. I guess I did one way to merge the lists was by Relative Senority. Does that mean if you are in the top 1% at one airline then you move to the top 1% of the combined airline? If that is correct then the number one guy at AT would be close to the top of the SWA list. Is that correct? If so, that would put a 1993 guy with the 1975 guy.

You are correct, which of course would not sit well with many pilots. The PAN-AM/National merger had some similar elements. The "Worlds Most Experienced Airline" acquired a much smaller younger airline. Much to the dismay of the PAN-AM pilots, the arbitrator pretty much kept it a relative merger. I just hope this doesn't turn into an, "Orange Pukes vs. Blue Pukes" atmosphere like they had.

Last edited:
Correct me if I am wrong. If an AT guy is number one on his list with relative senority he would be close to number one with SWA? If that is the case then you would have a guy that was hired in about 1993 next to guy that was hired in 1975. Would that be a fair system?

How is it unfair to the 1975 "lottery winner?"

tell that to any real union. Longevity has everything to do with seniority. Look up the word seniority or just ask every other union how seniority is defined. Little old airtran down in mco merged with valujet. that went doh.

m
wrong!!!.......

I think we can all agree a mutually, workable SLI is the best thing we can both accomplish. If this thing goes to an arbitrator (as it appears most of airtran wants), it will be ugly for a long, long time to come. Continued erosion of SWA culture.

Age 65 caused a rift at SWA, just like the voting down of TA1 did. That is nothing compared to an acquisition integration.

I think we can all agree a mutually, workable SLI is the best thing we can both accomplish. If this thing goes to an arbitrator (as it appears most of airtran wants), it will be ugly for a long, long time to come. Continued erosion of SWA culture.

Age 65 caused a rift at SWA, just like the voting down of TA1 did. That is nothing compared to an acquisition integration.

So, if SWAPA came to a decision that you felt was unfavorable to your career then you wouldn't sue? I guarantee every ambulance chaser from coast to coast will call every name on your seniority list before the ink is dry on the new list filling your ears with how SWAPA screwed you and how they should pay. The arbitrator will limit our Union's exposure to possible litigation. When it's said and done, don't blame SWAPA (or ALPA), blame the arbitrator!

Last edited:
No - I'm more concerned about the unity and solidarity of the combined group.

That is an excellent and very valid concern. In my opinion, if a third party made the decision it would hopefully curtail some infighting or Monday morning quarterbacking from our respective sides.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back