Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TV9 said
My question is, how is that a "windfall"? Captain, 135k or F/O, 135k, and a 5-15yr upgrade....
My answer is, you voted to strike to get what you propose at AAI, therefore, your windfall is not having to strike to get it. Just show up with a SWA ID badge, done deal.

I'm with you. I hope that we have a SLI that will be equatible to both sides. I don't want to work with pissed off Airtran (soon to be Southwest) guys and you don't want the reverse. Hopefully the company will throw in some sort of bribe to make this all go easier. I would bet dollars to donuts that any Captain that loses his seat would be pay protected. Thats is what the company has offered in the past and I think they want this deal even more. Lets shoot for prosperity for all.
Sounds like a deal to me. Look forward to buying that first beer! :beer:

So what's with the new, improved, kinder, gentler General Lee? Did you have a near-death experience, or what? ;)

You've become the "Dixie Cup" dispenser of goodwill suggestions.

"Tell a homely girl she would look GREAT if she would just put a brown bag over her face". :(

or

"You CAN fool all of the people ALL of the time, by just putting a cucumber in your pants". ;):laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
I love the passive/aggressive nature that the boards take on with stuff like this happens.

Post 1: You guys suck! You are getting a windfall! You give your dogs insulting and humiliating names!

Post 2: I love you guys, first round is on me! Lets go out and rule the world!

In reality, no matter what happens, those hard feelings are going to last until every last guy retires, or in some cases, is dead.

No place is the same after a merger.

Nu

Last edited:
Yes you are a senior AAI f/o you have never been guaranteed by anyone of a upgrade date. When you were hired at AAI they did not enter upgrade date xx/xx/2011. You are never guaranteed an upgrade and you are never guaranteed to maintain an upgrade. Also, you are never guaranteed to maintain any seniority level. AAI pilots senior and junior need to realize your upgrade is in no way guaranteed merger or no merger. And IMO your relative seniority within a much smaller pilot group in no way gives you the right to achieve super seniority gaining is some cases 5+ years seniority.
You could turn this around and say YOU were never guaranteed that YOUR upgrade wouldn't be pushed back due to age 65, a merger, recession, etc...You're right, "you are never guaranteed to maintain any seniority level."

In 10 years, AirTran has grown by 300%.

At the end of 2001, we had 640 pilots

By the end of 2010, we will have about 1900

So what you are saying is that Southwest has added about 1700 MORE pilots in the same time period?

I agree.

Gup

I predict anywhere from 500-1000 furloughs at AAI lasting up to 3 years, all after the merger is set in stone.

Big fences make good neighbors. Allows things to settle down while merging the operations for the beginning. Everyone "keeps" what they could hold and the growth is "managed" to keep things in the proper ratio. Who knows how many years it will take..... 3-6???? Many of our current routes for AirTran will go away (HSV-UTM-HVQ and some other gems that made you scratch your head....)
Maybe we can get some real management to control growth into markets that will really generate revenue.... bump up CLT go back to CHS and many other possibilities to have an impact that Airtran was never able to accomplish due to the poor frequency.
Great folks on both sides and I pray for a peaceful resolution.

Latest resources

Back