Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i'll tell you why. you guys COULD NOT get hired at Southwest! we could, and did, and now you want us to be junior to you? no thanks.

I just had to smile when I read this.

I was called for a Southwest interview over 10 years ago....I respectfully called the lady back and politely declined. In hindsight, dumb move...and I didn't know if I would have been hired, anyway. The reality was I was about 6 months into my first year at United at the time. Ya know, Contract 2000 and all. Not sure where Southwest was on pay back then, but UAL was on top. (That's why when I hear all of the arguments about pay, I know from my experiences that can be taken away overnight...all one is really left with is his seniority. But that is something for an arbitrator to decide, and I'll live with that).

I guess what I'm getting at is your statement doesn't tell the whole story.

There are many guys at AirTran...especially after 9-11, who were laid off from many other reputable companies and had to start over again. I routinely fly with retired Delta captains, US Airways 20 year guys who left early, many mainline furloughees and tons of military guys. Quite possibly many of us could have gotten on at Southwest...we simply elected to go somewhere else with a better contract at the time. Bad career move looking back, sure. Hindsight and all. But to say the AirTran guys couldn't have gotten on over at Southwest is a stretch. Many just chose a different path. I have to say I am very impressed by the quality of guys and the experience of most of the guys I fly with here.

I have many friends over at SWA, all great guys. Just remember, we AirTran guys are simply along for the ride in all of this. Gary Kelly initiated this whole thing....we were doing pretty good on our own. Good luck, it will go down as it will. The reality is I'm just a pilot with no say in this thing....I just fly where they tell me. Hopefully we will work it out like DAL/NWA rather than the USAir fiasco.

if alpa came to AT the day before this was announced and asked for a pilot vote to be stapled to the bottom of southwest it would have passed 90%

I honestly don't think you fly for SWA. You're even more obnoxious than the usual trolls. If by chance you slipped through the cracks and are actually employed there, (and as pissed off as you seem to be), it's going to be funny as hell when AT guys in this thread are senior to you and hopefully steal your number one choice...each and every month. :D

Now, go back to flying for virtual SWA on your flight sim.

Air Tranny peeps can't get their date of hire merge until they pay for there own 737 type rating from one of the typical SWA 737 type rating give away schools.

You know that guys aren't very good pilots until they are willing to buy their own type ratings.

SWA acquiring AT is no different than if SWA bought a regional airline. The 717 has fewer seats and the pilots are making way less money.
Actually, in full coach class the 717 can have at least 123 + seats. I believe your 500's only have 122.

You clowns that are "negotiating" on this board on AirTran pilots' behalf need to have a nice big cup of STFU because you sure don't speak for me or the top half our seniority list . . . ie the Pilots who have put in a decade or more here.

And maybe since your demographic are the minority at the Tranny it is you who needs a nice tall warm glass of STFU because you don't speak for anyone else either. You are less then 1/3'rd of the list. Follow you own advice. God I love democracy. Everybody gets a vote.

It really shocks me that Airtran pilots believe that they will get up to a $70,000 a year pay raise and keep their relative seniority and not give up anything to the Southwest pilot group. Really?

Here is a thought. The Southwest pilot group sits on negotiations for the next, lets say, 7-8 years. We already are making nice money, plus a possible variable raise and a negotiated fixed raise coming in the next few years. We are doing fine, and Airtran pilots can give up over 500+K of lost income. That extra cash would be nice, but I'm sure the QOL is really what you want. You can be the North pilots, we will take South(west).

Now, maybe, you could be reasonable, and take the huge financial windfall and give up some seniority to get it. I doubt it. Just a thought.

I am sure glad that 4 out of 5 of our Negotiating Committee are First Officers.

My bet is a Arbitrator. But I wouldn't be fooled by your union into thinking this windfall will be easy, or fun. Might want to hold off on the high fives for a little while.

Have a wonderful day.

I used to think that Southwest employees were all about the culture and real love for their company. It appears to me more and more that for some, it is only love for the higher pay... Obviously some don't really give a damn about the company itself. They would be happy anywhere for higher pay or would burn Southwest if they don't see personal economic gains in anything the company does.

This is not ALL southwest pilots of course. Just noticing a few.

if alpa came to AT the day before this was announced and asked for a pilot vote to be stapled to the bottom of southwest it would have passed 90%

I think it would still pass that vote today. It's amazing that the AT pilots don't admit that they just hit the jackpot and admit that the junior SWA FOs are going to take one up the a$s!

AT pilots would still be hitting the jackpot being stapled to the bottom of SWA and nobody would get screwed. But it sounds like AT guys are going to fight for more and throw the whole SWA pilot group into turmoil!

Just my opinion from outside looking in.

God I love democracy. Everybody gets a vote.
Ummm... not that I'm disagreeing with your advocacy of ceasing the message board back-and-forth about SLI issues (that's why I've stopped responding for the most part to these threads except for people who are ludicrously out in left field), but what vote are you speaking of here?

Latest resources

Back