Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots, Don't buy that new house yet..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have 35 years left at SWA and I am a JR FO. Are you going to be a good captain? Relax brother it's all good.

Actually, my post was directed more at the AirTran pilot who was willing to negotiate my seat away in his enthusiasm to "get a deal".

I don't claim to know what the solution is, but no one should be forcibly displaced from a seat, equipment or base by this deal. Why should we . . . or you?

My "expectations" as an ATL 737 CA at a growing AirTran is to remain a ATL 737 CA with improving seniority as we continue to hire and take deliveries. In regards to this merger, well, I don't expect to bump anyone, or be bumped.

DO you pay bills with a darn seat? Who gives a crap about being a CA? If your pay went up, QOL was close to the same and and didnt have to commute would that make you happy if you lost a stupid stripe. Give up the CA god montra already. Geez! News flash we held down growth so SWA could purchase the tranny. We are starting growth mode 1st of next year also. Nobody knows what SWA growth plans would have been without this purchase.

What do you think Gary woke up the other day drove to a 7/11 and decided to purchase Airtran? Something tells me it has been planned for longer then a night or two.

I'm going to take a deep breath and tell you that I am NOT trying to piss you off when I say -

You aint getting straight up relative seniority if "fair" is the goal.

Our senior pilot was hired in 1977. Yours 1993. Our Captains make over $50/hr MORE than yours, our FO's? Over $50/hr more.

You guys don't bring growth. You ARE our growth. If you guys think we are going to just start hiring and adding city pairs like mad after this you are delusional. We will be 7500 pilots and almost 700 airplanes strong. There just won't be a hell of a lot that we can do beyond that with any significant frequency that will really put a dent in things.

Convince me how relative is fair?

Gup

Hey Guppy -

Don't be talking like that out in PHX if your near any former AWA guys - they will take legal action - their hero is "the NIC" (I think he is still doing SLI work)

Metrojet

(And I apologize in advance if it looks like I am trying to hijack the thread and compare SWA/Airtrain integration to US/AWA)

DO you pay bills with a darn seat? Who gives a crap about being a CA? If your pay went up, QOL was close to the same and and didnt have to commute would that make you happy if you lost a stupid stripe.

Maybe you didn't read my post, but for many AirTran pilots, FO would be a pay cut, for some it would be a very substantial pay cut.

AirTran just had it's most profitable year ever, and has 50 aircraft on order, for growth. We don't need this merger, far from it. We're growing and hiring RIGHT NOW . . . .

Now, if you want to pay me 10th yr CA pay to fly FO, that's different, but don't tell me I should downgrade and take a pay cut to be a SWA pilot. If you don't understand that, then we don't have anything to talk about, do we?

Last edited:
General Lee and all my future Airtran friends, I could not AGREE MORE.

Congrats! You just made a Southwest's guys argument. Don't you feel dirty now? :)

BTW, Have a super-duper wonderful day!

RESPECTFULLY, please have your union tell it to the arbitrators, AT's ALPA people will. And, there won't be anything anyone can do about the result. You are both LCCs, have the same type of planes, and both companies are healthy. Don't expect to be an outright winner in this, because the real winners will be the ones who get huge raises, and get good spots on the SLI. In the meantime, your combined company will grow, and you will eventually upgrade, albeit a few years after most people initially thought. That's life. But, remember, YOU GUYS ARE ALL GREAT PEOPLE. ENJOY THAT LIFE, WILL YA? I DO.

Regardlesss, you guys hopefully will have a FANTASTIC DAY tomorrow, and if you can, if you can remember to, just do something nice for someone pr something else, like tearing off a small corner of a saltine cracker and giving it to a sparrow. See ya!

Bye Bye---General Lee

There would not be a pay cut. Maybe you misread my post. I truly believe worst case your pay would be protected...ie stay the same. Most likely increase. As well as better benefits and work rules. Not to mention lower cost insurance, but with Obamas healthcare screw job who knows on that one.

Funny how you glanced over the concept the SWA has been planning this for longer then a week or two.

Maybe you didn't read my post, but for many AirTran pilots, FO would be a pay cut, for some it would be a very substantial pay cut.

AirTran just had it's most profitable year ever, and has 50 aircraft on order, for growth. We don't need this merger, far from it. We're growing and hiring RIGHT NOW . . . .

Now, if you want to pay me 10th yr CA pay to fly FO, that's different, but don't tell me I should downgrade and take a pay cut to be a SWA pilot. If you don't understand that, then we don't have anything to talk about, do we?

Ty, buddy, who said you would go to FO? Arbitrators will decide the SLI. Sit back and relax my pal. Don't fall for this stuff. Believe it or not, you have people and lawyers at your disposal (via ALPA) that have been through this before. You will make your case, and they will try to make theirs, and then arbitrators will decide. Remember, Garry Kelly didn't go to SWAPA first to ask them about all of this, he went public. The Bond/McCaskil bill won't allow a staple. Wall ST wants clean mergers. SWA and SWAPA will have to take it to an arbitrator, or it will turn into USAir all over again. That is how it will pan out, and ALPA will have to put up a good fight for you. They will. Chillax.

And to all my SWA and AT buddies, I say, HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY! If you have a chance, try to be nice to somebody tomorrow. Buy someone a small cup of clam chowder. See ya!

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back