• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots considering switching unions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love the STRIKE prepardness. Being on the street, let me tell you having 15-17 days off and over 60K a year is a blessing. THERE ARE NO JOBS ANYWHERE !! YOU WILL NOT get a JOB!!!!

If the NPA goes on strike Airtran will shut down. At best we would be bought out of chapter 11. Worst case chapter 7. Either way those gates would not go empty. Only about 25% worst case to 50% best case would be picked up by the incoming airline. I am confident about my ability and chances of getting on with whoever ends up with those gates. Time to burn it down.
It is chicken **** people like Scarlet that enables management to run all over the CBA.

QUESTION: If you vote ALPA in right now with our contract out of date. WHAT contract will you fly under while waiting for the company to neg. with the new union? You WILL BE at the company's DISCRETION !!!
Do you actually know ANYTHING about the RLA? Or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

You just lost whatever argument you were trying to make by exposing your own ignorance about the entire process.

Well-done. :rolleyes:

The Village has a new Idiot!

QUESTION: If you vote ALPA in right now with our contract out of date. WHAT contract will you fly under while waiting for the company to neg. with the new union? You WILL BE at the company's DISCRETION !!!

I love the STRIKE prepardness. Being on the street, let me tell you having 15-17 days off and over 60K a year is a blessing. THERE ARE NO JOBS ANYWHERE !! YOU WILL NOT get a JOB!!!!

Hey, Scarlet-

Your Village called . . . . . they want their Idiot back. :laugh:

Here's a job for ya- Airline Management.

Looks like you were born for it. Buy yourself an ill-fitting suit and some knee pads, and I'll see what I can work out for ya . . . .

So you would rather have a glorified union like ALPA make you feel good about your "Bus driver" type contract so that you feel like a real airline pilot in the world as it was once felt?
Some of the decent work and pay rules that are in Airtran's Contract 2001 include:

1) 12 hour max scheduled duty day
2) 4 hr duty period guarantee
3) 2.5/1 duty rig
4) 3.5/1 trip rig
5) 3.5 hr pay credit earned for any unused reserve period
6) 10.5% B-fund
7) $152/hr 12th year top payscale for 117 seat aircraft

That being said, there is definitely some work to be done on tightening up some language, scope, and pay scales for First Officers and junior Captains.

Airtran's reserve system usually generates high pay credits for 2 reasons. One, a reserve pilot normally has 20 days of work per month (10 days off for 30 day month and 11 days off for 31 day month). Two, a reserve pilot gets paid the total of actual credit earned plus 3.5 hrs of pay for each unused reserve period. To my knowlegde, Airtran is the only airline that assigns a credit value to an unused reserve period.

The duty period guarantee and trip rig also contribute to reserve pay credit significantly. Reserves have more trips that include one leg in or out which guarantee 4 hrs of pay. Also, the trip rig kicks in when reserves go out on 5 or 6 day trips causing additional pay on top of actual credit earned flying (or even 4 day trips when actual block is low).

If the NPA goes on strike Airtran will shut down. At best we would be bought out of chapter 11. Worst case chapter 7. Either way those gates would not go empty. Only about 25% worst case to 50% best case would be picked up by the incoming airline. I am confident about my ability and chances of getting on with whoever ends up with those gates. Time to burn it down.
It is chicken **** people like Scarlet that enables management to run all over the CBA.
All airlines shut down when the pilots go on strike (OK exception mid 80's Continental strike). The question is how long is the strike for and who blinks first. You don't think Airtran could handle a weekend strike like Mesaba's. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Airtran will survive a 90 day strike like Comair's but I don't think a short strike is an automatic Chapter 11 filing.

Some of the decent work and pay rules that are in Airtran's Contract 2001 include:

1) 12 hour max scheduled duty day
2) 4 hr duty period guarantee
3) 2.5/1 duty rig
4) 3.5/1 trip rig
5) 3.5 hr pay credit earned for any unused reserve period
6) 10.5% B-fund
7) $152/hr 12th year top payscale for 117 seat aircraft

That being said, there is definitely some work to be done on tightening up some language, scope, and pay scales for First Officers and junior Captains.

Airtran's reserve system usually generates high pay credits for 2 reasons. One, a reserve pilot normally has 20 days of work per month (10 days off for 30 day month and 11 days off for 31 day month). Two, a reserve pilot gets paid the total of actual credit earned plus 3.5 hrs of pay for each unused reserve period. To my knowlegde, Airtran is the only airline that assigns a credit value to an unused reserve period.

The duty period guarantee and trip rig also contribute to reserve pay credit significantly. Reserves have more trips that include one leg in or out which guarantee 4 hrs of pay. Also, the trip rig kicks in when reserves go out on 5 or 6 day trips causing additional pay on top of actual credit earned flying (or even 4 day trips when actual block is low).
Those seem like some pretty decent aspects as far as contracts go. How did you the NPA accomplish this?!

All airlines shut down when the pilots go on strike (OK exception mid 80's Continental strike). The question is how long is the strike for and who blinks first. You don't think Airtran could handle a weekend strike like Mesaba's. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Airtran will survive a 90 day strike like Comair's but I don't think a short strike is an automatic Chapter 11 filing.

How about Eastern. We may stay out of chapter 7 with a weekend strike, but not chapter 11.

In house unions can't strike. There is no money, no resources. Is there an in house pilot union that did strike? And if so what was the outcome?

The NPA could probably fincancially pull off 1-3 days, but the company knows this and would simply play the "attrition" game. So in effect the NPA striking is useless. It all comes down to money.

Notice Rez's profile...He went from "fixing ALPA" to "calling out ALPA".....Even ALPA's biggest cheerleader seems to be getting a little frustrated....

He must have changed it back...

Let's see, the last ALPA group that hit the street (if I'm not mistaken) was Polar. They got a better deal, until AAWWH swiped their 14 classics and replaced them with 2 -400's.

And now, even though the seniority lists have not been merged they are going to end up with IBT representation and the Atlas pilot group voting in the reps for the Polar group because the Atlas group has so many more votes.

Perhaps someone can explain how this is fair...

He must have changed it back...

He did change it back....For a short time it said "calling ALPA out".....Me thinks the number 1 ALPA cheerleader is getting frustrated himself...He can't admit it in public...but it is clearly getting to him..:laugh:

Latest resources

Back