AirTran Pay Cuts?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AFcitrus said:
Forgive my lack of economic prowess but why do peope always try to diminish a loss by saying "it's only on paper". The way I understand it, the buying power of that money is gone. It is added into ones total losses until such time that they can recoup it. Isn't that they way all losses are.

I knew a guy who owned $10,000 in stock but a few years ago I (I mean he) lost $5000 of it "on paper". He still hasn't made the money back on that stock and if he sells his stock, he won't ever make it back. His portfolio has a loss of $5000.

Well, I am no financail genius by a long shot, but I think some of that was an actual write off, which is different than using cash on hand. It doesn't help the situation, but it doesn't hurt it too bad. The financial guys at management know how to use that to our benefit, somehow. Regardless, it was a bad year and I hope we don't do that again.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

FarginDooshbahg said:
Well General...how about a better example of "dumb". Weren't those some of Delta's brilliant "professionals" that shut both engines off in a 767?QUOTE]

That one was funny.... and didn't they also almost whack a Continental somewhere out over the Atlantic once because they wandered off course and had their charts plastered across the windscreen using them as a sunshade instead of using them to navigate?

For awhile there, the Delta incidents were coming so fast and furious it's kinda hard to remember them all now.

CatYaaak said:
FarginDooshbahg said:
Well General...how about a better example of "dumb". Weren't those some of Delta's brilliant "professionals" that shut both engines off in a 767?QUOTE]

That one was funny.... and didn't they also almost whack a Continental somewhere out over the Atlantic once because they wandered off course and had their charts plastered across the windscreen using them as a sunshade instead of using them to navigate?

For awhile there, the Delta incidents were coming so fast and furious it's kinda hard to remember them all now.

Yeah, that was along time ago, and it has gotten a lot better in the last few years, knock on wood. A lot of those guys are gone now. But, we all know all of the really good pilots fly corporate, where there hasn't been an accident in a few days...... Let's go through a list of this week's accidents Catyaaak. Give me a break.....This thread has gotten way off course.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee said:
CatYaaak said:
But, we all know all of the really good pilots fly corporate, where there hasn't been an accident in a few days...... Let's go through a list of this week's accidents Catyaaak. Give me a break.....This thread has gotten way off course.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Are you sure you really want to go there? For you to say that I rather doubt you know the statistics, or lump it in with charter flying, etc. If you actually looked them up, you'll find the corporate jet accident/fatality rates meeting or exceeding that of the airlines for most years. Not bad considering the wide range of operations/airports/approaches they deal with but the airlines don't. But you're right, we have gotten way off track....

......from the subject of Delta's goofs. I just thought he had a good comeback for the double-breasted boys' dog-piling on Airtran. A nice "slam", if you will.

Blah, blah, blah. AirTran is sooo cool. AirTran is sooo profitable. So is Skywest. To the tune of 70 million dollars more.

Last edited:
aspire said:
Blah, blah, blah. AirTran is sooo cool. AirTran is sooo profitable. So isn't Skywest. To the tune of 70 million dollars more.

So your argument appears to be that Skywest ISN'T profitable...

General Lee said:
CatYaaak said:
Yeah, that was along time ago, and it has gotten a lot better in the last few years, knock on wood. A lot of those guys are gone now. But, we all know all of the really good pilots fly corporate, where there hasn't been an accident in a few days...... Let's go through a list of this week's accidents Catyaaak. Give me a break.....This thread has gotten way off course.

Bye Bye--General Lee

No $hit General.....

I have been to many "little corporate aircraft" sim sessions where our "dumb$hit lesson of the day" is trying to escape the windshear thunderstorm penetration move displayed by Mother Delta at DFW....

300 dead in an L1011 is worth about 100 corp crashes.

whatcha gotta say about that?

Fly Safe.

Last edited:
CatYaaak said:
General Lee said:
Are you sure you really want to go there? For you to say that I rather doubt you know the statistics, or lump it in with charter flying, etc. If you actually looked them up, you'll find the corporate jet accident/fatality rates meeting or exceeding that of the airlines for most years. Not bad considering the wide range of operations/airports/approaches they deal with but the airlines don't. But you're right, we have gotten way off track....

......from the subject of Delta's goofs. I just thought he had a good comeback for the double-breasted boys' dog-piling on Airtran. A nice "slam", if you will.

Look at all the bad press you have gotten lately. Ebersol's crash, then the TEB crash. Time for you to quit trashing us and our goofs. The Corporate side has also got to clean up it's polcies and procedures. And, there wasn't a "piling" on Airtran by us, nope.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General Lee said:
CatYaaak said:
Look at all the bad press you have gotten lately. Ebersol's crash, then the TEB crash. Time for you to quit trashing us and our goofs. The Corporate side has also got to clean up it's polcies and procedures. And, there wasn't a "piling" on Airtran by us, nope.

Bye Bye---General Lee
Have you considered the corporate/charter side of aviation of which you speak is filled with furloughed DAL, UAL, etc.,?

Latest resources

Back