AirTran New hires

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AFcitrus said:
I will agree that you have to look out after yourself. But that is where my agreement with you ends. If you drink and fly - thereby jeopardizing the enitire airline and the futures of all employees - you had better be fired. Cheers!

If I drink and fly and jeopordize the entire airline and the future of the employees, I get fired. If the CEO runs the airline into BK, he gets a raise. If a pilot shows up drunk and never gets in the cocpit, CAL last week, he gets fired, not treatment. Your company does not give a F*** about you. They will try to cut your wages and take away your pension. Do what is best for you. If that means quit after getting a type rating, oh well. How many CEOs used other companies as stepping stones? Did Tilton start off at UAL? I know a few have worked there way up, but that is the minority and the are always exceptions to the rule.

All I am saying, is do what is best for you and dont worry about upsetting the company or your "sponsor".

( didnt NWA rehire the captain that got fired for flying drunk.....sure they fired him, but they gave him a second chance.....but then again there CEO was caught with pot)

skiandsurf said:
If I drink and fly and jeopordize the entire airline and the future of the employees, I get fired. If the CEO runs the airline into BK, he gets a raise. If a pilot shows up drunk and never gets in the cocpit, CAL last week, he gets fired, not treatment. Your company does not give a F*** about you. They will try to cut your wages and take away your pension. Do what is best for you. If that means quit after getting a type rating, oh well. How many CEOs used other companies as stepping stones? Did Tilton start off at UAL? I know a few have worked there way up, but that is the minority and the are always exceptions to the rule.

All I am saying, is do what is best for you and dont worry about upsetting the company or your "sponsor".

( didnt NWA rehire the captain that got fired for flying drunk.....sure they fired him, but they gave him a second chance.....but then again there CEO was caught with pot)

i do what is best for me and my future. i show up to work entirely sober. pretty simple solution to control the variables i have before me.

Palomino said:
i do what is best for me and my future. i show up to work entirely sober. pretty simple solution to control the variables i have before me.

I too do what is best for me and mine. I do not go to work drunk, in fact I rarely drink, as I am trying to set a good example for my kids.

But earlier in this thread you were all up set that someone would quit after being sponsored. I think you are finally catching on. Good boy.

skiandsurf said:
These pilots should be able to quit and go to a better place if able. Dont worry about Airtran or your sponsor.
Can you PM me your name and airline you currently work for so I can make sure I never recommend you?

Asking someone to recommend you or write you a letter of recommendation for an airline THEY work at is a DUAL responsibility.

I bear the responsibility of, first and foremost, making sure you're not a jerk to work with so I'm not recommending someone my coworkers will hate to work with, and secondly,make sure you're not going to get the type rating and bail, thereby ensuring that I can never recommend someone again.

YOU bear the responsibility to not screw over me or my company so that it ruins my reputation for future recommendations, future check airman positions, training department slots, etc. REMEMBER: YOU asked ME for MY help, then you'd try to screw me over?

And if you truly believe this wouldn't happen, you're SADLY MISTAKEN. People remember things much longer than you think they would. A guy went to interview with airTran a couple weeks ago who had interviewed with SG at PCL YEARS ago. She remembered that he had turned the PCL job down. If he had done it spitefully or rudely, it would have cost him the airTran job, but since he did it in a classy, responsible way that didn't hurt the company, he got the job here. People have a memory.

If a company requires an applicant to be "sponsored", I dont want to work there. I am looking out for what is best for me and my family, and if that means quiting and moving on, so be it.
Good, so that means I'll NEVER see your name on the interview list here?

I hope you're not teaching your example of bad moral character to your family. Using a company to DELIBERATELY get a type rating, costing the company tens of thousands of dollars, with the FULL intention of quitting later on is an example of VERY POOR ETHICS.

It's happened pretty recently at jetBlue as well; several people are cashing in their stock options in their first few months of employment, buying a 737 type, then moving on to Southwest. VERY expensive for jetBlue and will probably change the stock vesting process there to occur much later in your employment which will cost a lot of new-hires who are NOT planning on jumping ship THOUSANDS of dollars in lost investment opportunities.

Shame on them, and shame on YOU.

p.s. I'm hearing the 28th class is about 50/50 on aircraft split.

bizicmo said:
I'm not saying I would do it or that people should do it, but the 737 type allows them to go to Southwest. I know two people who has done it with one with Airtran and one with Continental.

Airtran types their FO's? Or are you saying someone would go to SW after getting 737 captain at Airtrain?

meanstreak said:
The 737 type rating that Airtran gives F/O's is only a SIC type. I'm not sure Southwest would count that.
My buddy got the "free" SIC type from Kit Darby last year for going to AIR, Inc. (Kit keeps getting cheaper and cheaper, it USED to be a FULL type, but I digress.) ;)

He then went and applied to SWA, got interviewed within a couple months, started class a few weeks ago, all with the SIC type from Higher Power. He wasn't required to go back and get a "full" PIC type before he started class.

AFcitrus said:
they do care about how much they've spent to train a pilot ($10,000 so I've heard).

Actually, the cost to hire and train a pilot is well over $20,000. when you figure in 3 months of pay from Day 1 of Indoc through IOE . . . .

Regardless, I like it when guys leave. It sends an unmistakable message to Management.

I like it even more when they leave AND they're senior to me :cool: , but that doesn't happen very often . . . . I can only think of 3 or 4 captains who have left voluntarily in the past 5 years.

Latest resources

Back