Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran-Midwest getting closer to a deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like a mirror image of my thinking. It was a tough decision but one I look back on and am glad I made the one I did. Being away from the family is the toughest part about this job v. AirTran, but it will get better as I gain some seniority. I just wasn't ready to invest what little time I have in a company, that in my opinion, has little vision all the while wondering if I was going to have to start all over a few years from now. Granted, there is no guarantee with any company in this business, but stability was my number one nugget on the AAI v. FX scale. Pay ain't bad either...

I'm sure they would... if it happened that way.

SWA has bought several small airlines and integrated the crews of the airlines they purchased.

The notable exception is the ATA deal, and they didn't actually buy the airline, just the gates and slots, so they obviously didn't feel obligated to the pilots.

Don't think this will happen this way anytime soon though... we have too many 717's to be interesting unless they could split the fleet like that profitably and I doubt JL or BF think a fleet of 717's alone is a good thing. The 737 is lowering CASM dramatically, it's a great airframe for what we do.

Rumor has it that SWA NEEDS 737-700s. How far will they go to get these airframes? Buy up deferred AirTran planes or buy the entire airline? I am sure nobody in the airline purchase committee intends to call and ask my opionion, but since you asked, I think SWA would keep the 737 pilots also.

Hey Rich,

Thanks for all the detailed play-by-play analysis.. From a current linker, hope you're catching up on your number of posts at your message board, cuz we sure miss ya, since now it's so toned down...

Seems to me AAI to buy MEH is a done deal that's just waiting to be signed, especially with MEH getting outside help to "appraise" their values, and big daddy AirTran is willing to cough up more cash if needed, and their markets do really fit well together.

Just trying to see if i should stay put or jump into bed with AirTran...

Hey Rich,

Thanks for all the detailed play-by-play analysis.. From a current linker, hope you're catching up on your number of posts at your message board, cuz we sure miss ya, since now it's so toned down...

Seems to me AAI to buy MEH is a done deal that's just waiting to be signed, especially with MEH getting outside help to "appraise" their values, and big daddy AirTran is willing to cough up more cash if needed, and their markets do really fit well together.

Just trying to see if i should stay put or jump into bed with AirTran...
Hey, my brother, what's up? :)

Actually, we have 2 message boards, one of which is mainly for training and flight issues that I just lurk on,,, still learning the intricacies of the plane. The other message board, believe it or not, I just applied for access to a couple days ago. It's private and run by one of our pilots and I don't know much about it yet.

Coming to work here? Well, I have to say, this place is a THOUSAND times better than PCL in terms of quality of life. My worst month on reserve was better than just about ANY month as a lineholder at PCL...

Except for pay. I made $72k my last year at PCL. Starting pay here is around $40k. Ouch. Doesn't catch up to PCL CA pay until about year 4 F/O, and will NEVER make up for what I lose those first 3 years until I upgrade to CA (unless I'm an F/O for 12 years - LOL).

I think you're right about it being a done deal, which is why I'm trying to stir the pot a little here and get the senior guys thinking a little bit about seniority integration as it would affect the F/O's here. Shot off an email or 3 to my reps as well, since AP went up to talk to the Midwest MEC this week.

Don't know how much good it will do, but all I can do is try, right? :)

Go ahead and take the interview, get hired, then make a decision. By the time you do that, we should know a lot more (late Jan / early Feb).

I just can't afford to sit 5-7 years as an F/O. If I'm going to do that, I might as well go to CAL or SWA where the F/O pay is good after 1st year or, God willing, Purple or Brown (not that I want to do 6-8 day stints in foreign countries, but I miss cargo).

I have been very happy here at AirTran, but given the developments here in the past 2 years . . . if I were an FO, I would certainly be trying to get on with SWA, CAL, Fedex or UPS . . . . and that was even before the Midex announcement.

Even with only 20 years left, you would:

1) Make over $1 mil more before you retire;

2) Have more days off every month you work, for the rest of your career;

3) Be treated better by management every day of your career;

4) Have more job security

So, what was the question, again . . . I forget. ;)

Last edited:
If the merger would go through I would guess on some type of ration/relative position. However, ME is not bringing 36 aircraft (25 717, and 11 MD80), they are only bringing 25 717. As others have pointed out Joe and Co have said the MD80's would be replaced with 737's FL has on order. So the 737 captain seats should be FL pilots.

I would say the merged senority list would have to be adjusted to account for only the ME 717 captains.

The number of pilots that ME needs to fly the 717 fleet get merged on a percentage/relative position. The rest get placed behind the last FL pilot on the date of merger.

While not perfect for the ME pilots, they would at least have a greater chance of upgrading in the same time frame as they would have if ME stayed independant. It would also protect the FL pilots and their carrer expectations.

I agree,

The only fair way to do an integration would be (for lack of a better term) one of expected career progression. If you are a ME captain expecting to be on reserve the next 3 years - you get integrated such that that time frame remains the same. If you are a ME FO expecting to upgrade five years from now, you are integrated such that you remain an FO for the next five years.

I'm not sure how this would be done but it sounds fair from a logical standpoint. No one could complain and say they got the shaft because they would get exactly what their expectations are now - as would FL pilots. No one would get stapled unless that is what where their expected career integration puts them.

Rest assured in the event this acquisition goes throught, I'll be pushing our representation to do just this. Anything else would be unacceptable!!

Cheers

Here's an idea for a fair YX-AAI integration (if it should come to pass):

in no particular order:
a. Preserve jobs.
b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.
c. Maintain or improve pre-merger pay and standard of living.
d. Maintain or improve pre-merger pilot status.
e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

And if both sides can't agree on the above it goes to binding arbitration.

I don't just like it; I'm living it.

Latest resources

Back