Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran-Midwest getting closer to a deal?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I imagine that the age 65rule getting passed would make all this worse?
Not by much.

You're talking a difference of probably 10-20 guys a year (combined list) for the next 5 years, 10-15% or about 2-4 months extra to upgrade.

Crashpad, I don't think the Midwest guys will do quite as well as you think. If they had THAT kind of clout they'd get Date Of Hire, but I don't think that's going to happen.

The CA's here have excellent representation. Everything at this airline is about the CA, one of the few holdout airlines with that mentality. Understandably so, even in recent times, when the F/O's have been willing to shut up and hunker down until upgrade since upgrade has been so relatively quick the last 5 years.

How will that change if it suddenly looks like you won't upgrade for an additional 3, 5, or 7 years? Will the F/O's suddenly develop a more serious voice? Only time will tell.

What needs to happen:

At the VERY first indication that the shareholders are going to accept this purchase, EVERY single F/O needs to email / call their representatives AND the senior management here about fences, career expectations, and the cost to the company if suddenly 500-750 F/O's find themselves facing several more years to upgrade and decide to leave (not to mention the next hiring boom already starting amongst other majors with MUCH better long-term F/O pay scales).

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and will help mitigate whatever damage a well-organized and unified pilot group (Midwest) would accomplish during seniority integration talks / arbitration. Even mitigated however, it still has the potential for serious damage.

A 3-year fence wouldn't do the trick for all the F/O's currently on property, it would need to be upwards of 4-5.

As far as being beneficial for ALL 10 years down the road? Maybe it will START being beneficial by then for the junior guys... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, it $ucks. At least if you had some kind of representation, you could put up a brave fight. .

We do have representation, and a pretty sizable M/A contingency fund. If our goal was to wrest something out of it that was more than we should receive (ie, a staple) we have the horsepower to do it . . . . . but is it the right thing to do?

I don't think so. There is a precedent, from the Valujet/AirTran merger, which followed the Allegheny/Mohawk precedent. It will likely be relative seniority, with fences.

I don't think it will be as doom/gloom as Lear70, but I sure understand his frustration. I think the upgrades will come to much of a halt for a one year period while the MD80 guys get transitioned, but we will probably grow at a rate after that that would be greater then previous, and there will be more airplanes ordered, rest assured.

When I hired on in 2001, I was told to be ready to upgrade in a year. There were upgrades during that time of 11 months, in some cases (on the DC9). Then, they made the decision to do away with the DC9, and the 717 deliveries, instead of being growth, became replacement deliveries. The upgrades pretty much stopped as the transition training went on. Some DC9 Captains didn't have the seniority to hold 717 CA and were downgraded to FO. Everyone else pretty much stayed where they were for about 18 months or so . . It sucked for everyone, except the guys at the top. My one year upgrade became three.:mad:

Then, the music started again, and the growth/movement continued. . . . and I imagine this will be pretty much the same- at least in that regard.

Last edited:
I don't think it will be as doom/gloom as Lear70, but I sure understand his frustration. I think the upgrades will come to much of a halt for a one year period while the MD80 guys get transitioned, but we will probably grow at a rate after that that would be greater then previous, and there will be more airplanes ordered, rest assured.
(HeeHaw music) "DOOOOMMM, DesPAAAAIRRR, and agony on me. DEEP DARK DEPREESSION, excessive misery..." LOL ;)

That's one possibility that could change the balance at least somewhat: an accelerated delivery schedule.

Question is, would the airline try to slow down some and get a handle on things for a year or two following the acquisition and MD80 replacements or just blast ahead and accelerate the deliveries for a Mid-west / West Coast expansion (excuse the pun, unintended).

Again, only time will tell. But would you take that chance? If you were a 1st or 2nd year F/O and got the call from SWA or CAL, would you stay or would you go where you KNOW the F/O pay scale for 5-7 years would beat AirTran by more than $100,000 over that period? That's a lot of money to give up for an uncertain gamble of accelerated growth here.

A lot of guys, including myself, were planning on making AirTran a career, but can we afford not only to never make as much as our peer groups (union DVD presentation) but ALSO getting dinged on F/O pay for 20% of our remaining careers (assuming average age in the mid-30's with 25 years or so left until Age 60)?

Hard questions. You'd be a fool not to ask them. The only choices are to hedge your bets NOW, make sure our voice and concerns are heard by Management and the NPA, then make a decision for ourselves and our family when the outcome is decided.

Let's just worry about it after if happens. In my opinion Midwest does not want it so it will not happen. Enjoy your holiday's and try not to worry so much!

Lear: I'm by no means advocating you bail on AirTran, but you're concerns were exactly mine when I left there over the summer. Too much instability and too many unknowns for my personal taste. That was before the Midwest announcement. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to do.

The way AirTran has been shopping for a new partner does seem to me to be a bit weird. Or is it the grow or die mentaily? Not looking to flame anyone just askin'.

Jobear

Thanks, Phaedrus.

I really, really like it here (pay and the Midwest issues aside). I've flown with only 2 guys I wouldn't care to fly with again out of several dozen, the schedules have been good (even on reserve I drop down to 14-15 days off and credit 80-85 hours), and I like that they mostly leave us alone to come fly our trips and go home. It's such a far cry from what I came from that I have a hard time even contemplating going through the angst of another interview, training cycle, etc, but...

I just can't afford to sit 5-7 years as an F/O. If I'm going to do that, I might as well go to CAL or SWA where the F/O pay is good after 1st year or, God willing, Purple or Brown (not that I want to do 6-8 day stints in foreign countries, but I miss cargo). Not that I have all those options, but I have friends at almost every carrier and would hope that I could get at least an interview at one of them...

For me it HAS to be about the money at this point in my career. I've had my fun flying Lears and such and now that I have a family, I have to make enough money to re-start my retirement savings that's been ransacked now after 9/11 and again after taking a $35,000 pay cut to come here.

I can't do that on $40k, $50k, or even $60k a year with a wife, two kids (possibly soon to be 3 and if that happens, someone's tubes are getting tied), and a mortgage unless we live like paupers and you HAVE to have at least SOME life, who knows if you're going to get hit by a truck at 40...?

Don't want to obsess over it, but like I said, you'd be crazy not to take all of this into account.

Latest resources

Back