• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC: Whine on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, you got me. Is WN still codesharing with AT? Are you going international yet, besides SJU and ferrying aircraft for MX?

BTW, long before the announcement, AT was a permanent home for the majority of us. I'm flying with a lot more people looking to leave now than ever before the announcement.

Yes Luv, Southwest is codesharing with AT because the pilots of SWAPA voted for that with SL10. We voted for Gary getting this going as fast as he was willing to. The timeline for that is Jan 2015. After that, the codeshare ends and everyone needs to SWAPA pilots. Taking too long? I think so, but that's what we voted for.

Just like that first Southwest sticker put on the AAI plane. It was against our CBA, so it was removed. Just like your feed from Skywest, it was stopped.

Your leaving a company (Airtran) that had little to no scope, to one that has the best in the industry. Your leaving a company that had up and down financials, to one that has the best in the industry(for 42 years). Your leaving one that had a relatively poor CBA, to one of the best. The pilots of Souwest have worked very hard to get the CBA that you will be working under. You do understand that, right?

The differences are night and day.

PS - As a reminder, I don't think all the Airtran CA's should have lost their seats, but they didn't ask me. I think the seniority list should have showed what seat you hold, or not hold.

PSS - People looking to leave Southwest? It's happened before and it will happen again. I wish them luck. It might make alot of sense if they are young and on the very bottom. It's a personal preference. The numbers could get pretty interesting knowing Gary is going to pay you at your original (AAI) longevity date. That equates to quite a bit every month to walk away from, but to each their own. (Like walking away from a 170k job to start over)

Last edited:
I can see this happening at SWA when the MAX comes onboard. The "that's the way we've always done it crowd" could potentionally be told to STFU. It will be an opportunity to write a coherent set of manuals that do not spread the information to the four winds. Other operational considerations like the AC power scenario amongst others could be done away with. At SWA the old phrase is "fly it like a -200". AirTran would say "it's just like the -9 except..".

I'm grateful to work for stronger carrier. One of the better AT execs who did not come over called SWA the Rip Van Winkle airline. I would like to see SWA's spirit and customer service survive, but lose the -200 mentality and embrace modern technogy.

Sorry I missed your post Humvee.

We joke about 'fly it like a 200', but the reality is we haven't done that in years. I really don't think the max will create any subset. But that's just my opinion. I think management will just add it to the regular lines like the 800. I don't think it will really be that different to operate. More efficent. Larger screens and I think the overhead will be similiar if not the same. I think we have been embracing the modern technology over the past 5 years. ie....autothrottles and full RNP approaches.

I'm glad you made that statement about a stronger carrier, because you are right. And like Wave said, I will not have any predjudice against any former Airtran guys unless they prove otherwise. I'll treat everyone as Southwest pilots and really don't care to look for any differences. I'm ready to pull together, but I guess I get sucked into the BS from time to time.

Your leaving a company (Airtran) that had little to no scope, to one that has the best in the industry.

Your leaving a company that had up and down financials, to one that has the best in the industry(for 42 years). Your leaving one that had a relatively poor CBA, to one of the best. The pilots of Souwest have worked very hard to get the CBA that you will be working under. You do understand that, right?

It's pretty obvious that you have never read our contract. Do yourself a favor and read it before commenting further. You may surprise yourself.

Ty

Are you really trying to convince everyone how great it was at AT until swa came and ruined everything?

Ty

Are you really trying to convince everyone how great it was at AT until swa came and ruined everything?

Wave,
For guys like Ty AirTran was great. I don't know him personally but he probably upgraded in less than 3 years. Made a decent salary. Probably never sat reserve. So looking at it from that perspective what is not to like? SWA did ruin that for his demographic. Why is it so hard for you to realize that some were very happy at AAI just as some are very happy at SWA. Life is what you make it. I guess we just need to walk a mile in each others shoes to put thins into perspective. Mergers suck. Lives are permanently changed. Some for the better...some for the worse.

Most for the worst...that is if you are on any type of seniority list! The only ones that truly make out are the managers.

Ty

Ty never said those exact words, but many people have those exact feelings about the whole thing. I know it's hard for you to wrap your head around the fact that many of us actually liked AirTran, but it's the truth. Doesn't matter anymore though, my airline will cease to exist in a year and a half. Life goes on...

Latest resources

Back