• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, they definitely promised a staple or near staple. SWA pilots on here like Willie Nelson, Bravodude, the guy with the Einstein avatar whatever his name was, and others have confirmed numerous times here that their friends and connections in SWAPA have assured them of a staple. And they've made it clear here that they expect this promise to be kept; just a day ago, Bravodude promised to burn the house down if he didn't get his way.

This is not a good situation for SWAPA, or for anyone else involved.

I am sorry you cannot post a single time SWAPA has said to it members that they were going to staple Airtran. I know the reason is because they NEVER SAID THAT, NOT ONCE! You don't know what you are talking about you have no clue yet you continue to spout nonsensical information.

Please just ONE post saying they expected to staple the airtran pilots put up by a SWAPA official and I will shut my mouth and be happy with relative seniority.

You can't so why don't you stop with the LYING.

Lear,

I'm confused about the timeline that Fly By discusses. He states that the MC was headed out of Dallas when called by Gary Kelly to discuss other options.

I thought the 'Gary Kelly' meeting was pushed back a week from the original date. How could the MC be held hostage in Dallas when this meeting was known to ALL parties? Are we talking about two meetings?

RF

Lear?

Sorry, Red, doing my best to just push away from the forums for a while, didn't mean to ignore the question.

The MEC, MC, and the MEC Chair and Vice-Chair gave us a breakdown of just that weekend's timeline. From what I remember of this timeline, these are two separate events, the GK meeting is one, then the MEC went home and the MC stayed and continued to negotiate up to Friday.

On Friday mid-day, the MEC was briefed on the current offer on the table via conference call. The consensus was that it was not acceptable. The MC asked if they should walk away? The MEC said that they didn't want to sour relations by just walking away from the table mid-day, and that they should stay and negotiate. Here's where the first disconnect seems to come: I've spoken one-on-one with all but 2 of the MEC reps and some of them thought that the MC was going back to further work on the deal that became the AIP and some thought that by saying the deal wasn't acceptable that we were going back to OUR last offer from the previous week. No one clarified, the call ended, and the MC went back in, thinking they had been told to work on the CURRENT OFFER until the end of the day then go home.

At the end of the day, still not getting anywhere, they got up and said, "Sorry, but that just won't work, and it's time for us to head home. We'll talk on Monday." and went back to their caucus room. Two of your negotiators came in about 15 minutes later with a 6 pack and said, "Can we just talk for a few minutes?" Your negotiators moved off of one of our MC's biggest sticking points, so the Merger Committee decided to stay and work through the weekend, which brings us to disconnect #2: the MC never called the MEC and told them the change in plans.

During the day Saturday we moved off one of our big sticking points as well, and things started fleshing out quickly in the AIP. Someone on the MC sent the MEC a text message saying "making progress" and the MEC member was like "They're still there???" That MEC member called Linden and the other reps, Linden called the MC, and the MC said "We need a conference call today, get the MEC together" at the same time our MEC was calling Linden saying "we need a conference call", so Jack (MC chair) called Linden later and initiated a conference call where they discussed what had been done.

At that point, the MEC split. Some said "OK, see what you can get" and some said "We didn't authorize you to move off that one point." The "see what you can get" crowd won that issue and the MC finished what became the AIP.

Again, that's just my understanding of it from the briefing at the MEC meeting and talking with some reps. Don't a bunch of people go off on me, I DON'T MAKE THE NEWS, I just report it in hopes you guys can understand what the MEC AS WELL AS THE MERGER COMMITTEE are telling the line pilots about the chain of events that brought the AIP. As someone else mentioned, I don't believe anyone is lying, rather I believe that the perception from SWAPA was that the MC was doing things that the MEC was fully-briefed on as far as points they would move off, etc, and they simply weren't. Hence the disconnect and resulting failed vote.

I already pointed out several SWA pilots confirming it on this board. And, of course, it was all over the SWA pilots' board.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised at SWAPA making such a tactical blunder and painting themselves into this corner. They had to know they couldn't deliver on such a promise, so why did they make it?

They didn't. Period. Dot. End.

. "Hence the disconnect and resulting failed vote."

Poor governance and some on here have argued it may cost the AAI pilots...not sure how, but it looks bad and the AAI pilots that wanted a vote should be furious...

Move CLOSER (maybe tweaked for retirements) to DOH, your number equals what seat you can hold period. Bottom line you won't need "protections" or special pay for FOs flying with Jr Capt's. Just my worthless humble opinion. I want this to get done out of arby because I want to maintain culture.

One thing about arby, they won't be concerned not allowing any harm to come to a single pilot from a particular side. They will be looking at the big picture, and that will most definitely involve harm to both sides.

I'll shake hands and move on regardless, cause I want to be happy when I come to work.

Latest resources

Back