Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dear Lear,

I'm afraid the aftermath of AAI's MEC vote in terms of behavior and rendition of the "facts" as described on here and as sold to your members may have more impact on changing sentiments on the SWA corporate side than the vote itself.

CEOs and their unions don't care to have details of confidential meetings "spun" to suit the audience. I'm sure this storyline is or will be floating in emails at the GO by now or certainly by tomorrow. Particularly if the party doing the spinning is the invited guest to the party.

I'm afraid lines are being drawn in the sand and little room will be left to wiggle as well as time will eventually slip away.

While arbitration is most likely from here on out IMHO, as one of our chief negotiators just posted on our forum GK and SWAPA signed the PA knowing there are still options available to SWA management if circumstances arrive that would keep our culture intact. I don't know what those are but I never underestimate GK and his team in coming up with solutions to problems.

I use to think that only a furlough could permanently damage our culture; that sentiment was universal. I might add to that and GK may add to that after this is all over, "mergers with ALPA carriers".

It will be "purely" a business decision on the part of SWA if circumstances play out that result in no integration or common SLI. I hope your pilots will be as

gracious in accepting such an outcome as you and others have asked us to accept the 7-1 vote of your MEC. It will be purely business and for the best
interest of SWA to not go through with it IF that turns out to be the path chosen. Please don't say it is fear mongering; it is merely a "business decision".

I'm less optimistic than I was previously on our future together but will wait to see what the pilots/employees of SWA say to GK over the next few weeks and how GK responds.

For those who think Wall Street will punish SWA for not going through with the deal, Wall Street doesn't get most of what SWA is all about anyway and the price of the stock doesn't reflect that but regardless, the latest email from
SWAPA confirms the tone has changed within SWAPA and apparently SWA also.

Would Gary take a quarter or two of losses to keep our culture intact? I would bet my 401K and future on it. It would rally our employees like nothing else which has been created by your MEC. Unintended consequences my friend; I certainly have no crystal ball and as I have said previously, the only way to

insure 100% that AAI pilots would be on the SWA seniority list was by passing SL9. It wasn't and now we are all left to wonder, "what is next?"

Hope you have a good week flying. Congrats on the upcoming nuptials and spend more time with your son instead of on here!!!

This sounds like Civil War time! This really is getting intense. I just don't think GK will pull that trigger, merger integration in other departments is underway, and there is that Process Agreement. This is gonna be a roller coaster, hang on!

OYS

Last edited:
I already pointed out several SWA pilots confirming it on this board. And, of course, it was all over the SWA pilots' board.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised at SWAPA making such a tactical blunder and painting themselves into this corner. They had to know they couldn't deliver on such a promise, so why did they make it?

You named a couple of names. So what? Show some posts. Last time I'll ask.

And how do you know what's on the SWA forum? Which forum are you referring to?

Swapa never made any such claim, or declared any expectation of SLI. In any venue. You're either a complete moron if you think that swapa ever made such a prediction, or else you're nothing more than a two-bit flamer.

Last edited:
This sounds like Civil War time! This really is getting intense. I just don't think GK will pull that trigger, merger integration in other departments is underway, and there is that Process Agreement. This is gonna be a roller coaster, hang on!

OYS
Why did Chase delete his post that you quoted?

You're either a complete moron if you think that swapa ever made such a prediction, or else you're nothing more than a two-bit flamer.
This is the sort of anger and rage that I've been seeing here lately, and it's the reason why I asked my original question about the reaction of SWA pilots and if they will be willing to shake hands and move on after the integration.

This is the sort of anger and rage that I've been seeing here lately, and it's the reason why I asked my original question about the reaction of SWA pilots and if they will be willing to shake hands and move on after the integration.
No anger, no rage, just unemotional business decisions for your side from here on out. Apparently you AT guys like it that way.

Shake hands? Sure, once the deals done, can you say the same?

When all business is said and done, I will shake hands with you. But not til then. There are a few of you on the AT side I will gladly shake hands with now. They know who they are and not all of them would have voted "yes" on SL9. But you, not til it's over. Keep posting Nindiri.

Baker

Ty and Lear, thanks for being gentlemen. I know we have all been emotional, pissed etc. Us/You and we have said things we probably regret. However, gentlemen nonetheless. Thanks guys.

Baker

Ty and Lear, thanks for being gentlemen. I know we have all been emotional, pissed etc. Us/You and we have said things we probably regret. However, gentlemen nonetheless. Thanks guys.

Baker
It's been my pleasure, amigo. :) Great talking with you through all this and I'm just gonna bow out from posting for a while. No good can come from continuing the back-and-forth we all tend to get sucked into sometimes.

On the other side, I'm buying, no matter HOW the list shakes out. :beer:

I hear ya my friend. Emotion rules us all at some point or another. We must be aware of that whether it be fear or hunger. We all have it, we all live it, and it will become known. I'm as guilty as the next. I wish the best for us all and those that shall come after us.

Latest resources

Back