• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Glad to hear it GearUp. Where are the rest of your like minded brothers? I look forward to drinking beers with you guys on the overnights if this thing ever works out. Good luck.

I think you'll find that almost all AirTran pilots are behind this deal, and looking forward to the future.

Redflyer...the majority of your posts appear to be ones of condescension.

A smaller carrier? AirTran is a Major airline just like SWA is. You may have more pilots on your seniority list at this point in time by virtue of longevity, but that doesn't mean that you are any better (or worse) than any AirTran pilot.

"Massive difference in career expectation"? Says who? You? AirTran pilots have the capability to upgrade to Captain much quicker than a SWA pilot does. I expected to upgrade in 5 years. Did it in 4.

The career expection of every AirTran pilot is to progress to the Left seat as soon as possible, achieve the highest pay possible along with the best quality of life possible. How is that any different than the career expectation of every SWA pilot?

I agree with everything you said. I wish that you could convince Gary Kelly to back away from this deal. We could grow and you could remain a captain at Airtran.

Redflyer...the majority of your posts appear to be ones of condescension.

A smaller carrier? AirTran is a Major airline just like SWA is. You may have more pilots on your seniority list at this point in time by virtue of longevity, but that doesn't mean that you are any better (or worse) than any AirTran pilot.

"Massive difference in career expectation"? Says who? You? AirTran pilots have the capability to upgrade to Captain much quicker than a SWA pilot does. I expected to upgrade in 5 years. Did it in 4.

The career expection of every AirTran pilot is to progress to the Left seat as soon as possible, achieve the highest pay possible along with the best quality of life possible. How is that any different than the career expectation of every SWA pilot?

Don,

I didn't mean to insuate that Airtran was not a major airline, just a smaller one. Basically 5900 Southwest pilots to around 1700 at Airtran. And Southwest pilots aren't any better than anyone else. They have been very successful at working with the company to get an awesome contract with great benifits.

Each group of FO's at both companies strives to make Captain pay, no suprise there. The differences of QOL and pay from each contract makes the career expectations a little different at each carrier. I'm sure SWAPA and ALPA have done the math. I'm not going to beat that dead horse. I believe the arbitor will use the contracts on each property on Sept. 27th to make those comparisons.

It would be similiar to SWAPA passing a new contract with a 30 percent payraise today and trying to use those numbers for arbitration. I'm really glad your pilot group passed that new contract with the bonuses. If anyone in this industry deserved them it was you guys!

I hope ALPA doesn't burn the house down over there in the meantime.

Cheers.

Don

A smaller carrier? AirTran is a Major airline just like SWA is.
Actually, Yahoo considers us both regionals. Which I think is funny. Calling yourself a "Major" does not make you a bigger carrier than Southwest. You are still a "smaller" carrier. Sorry those facts are hurting your feelings. And, your case.

You may have more pilots on your seniority list at this point in time by virtue of longevity, but that doesn't mean that you are any better (or worse) than any AirTran pilot

I can't speak to the latter but I have been at three other airlines. I have seen bits and pieces of your contract and I am much more content with ours. However, happiness is a subjective thing and can be weighed in many different ways. I can tell you this. No Southwest pilot has left Southwest to go to Airtran. No Southwest guys have had applications on file at AAI. Can you say the same for Airtran guys. Is that not indicative of the collective level of happiness at AAI vs WN?

And, the upgrades at Colgan are even faster than that. Does that mean that it's a better place to be?

A very general statement but true and it could be said that way for all pilots. If Airtran stands alone how will that compare side by side to the the career expectations of the Southwest pilot? Upgrade is not everything. If it was we'd all be working for whoever offers the quickest upgrade.

They have been very successful at working with the company to get an awesome contract with great benifits.

Yes Red, but it's much easier to be successful when your management actually TRIES to be fair at the table. That's part of your corporate culture. You're lucky to have those people in charge and making decisions at your airline.

When you have an airline management that's top heavy with Eastern, NWA, and USAir (anti-labor) retreads it's almost impossible without threatening to close the doors. Even then, they still spit in your face. Things are forced to become hostle, unfortunately.

Yes Red, but it's much easier to be successful when your management actually TRIES to be fair at the table. That's part of your corporate culture. You're lucky to have those people in charge and making decisions at your airline.

When you have an airline management that's top heavy with Eastern, NWA, and USAir (anti-labor) retreads it's almost impossible without threatening to close the doors. Even then, they still spit in your face. Things are forced to become hostle, unfortunately.

As you can see MV is trying to tell ALPA it is all good. Just tell ALPA to see the light and not burn the house down. Soon your group will be part of our family. The end is near, and a better future is ahead. I just wouldn't want ALPA to bite the hand that is about to feed them. It is common sense. Over night you will get a huge pay bump/Qol once Uncle Gary optimizes the AT fleet. That is with your current contract.

It is not double pay raise like you guys keep suggesting...

About 1500 more a month=which I will gladly take. I would not say a HUGE pay raise. Seniority is more important !!

And YES they have to adhere to the Railway Labor Act. Can not just hire and replace us. Read and know the laws..THat is why the CFO sent the letter to ALPA. They have to adhere to alleghany mohawk and all laws in a merger.

Just like you will love our 737 orders=GROWTH and our training dept.(APDs) and worlds largest airport and Intl ops (how is raft training coming along) and reservation system, and internet, XM radio, not to mention flight bags in cockpit,...Ask all your SWA mgt people that have been in ATL and MCO to look at our operations. They are blown away of how advanced AT really is.

With SWA and SWAPA agreement they signed, all future 737 a/c deliveries will be to the SWA side of house= what about the 20 717s in Mexico=

What happens if SWA decides to take them? not in the agreement and AT has the training dept and APDs?

scarlet

It is not double pay raise like you guys keep suggesting...

About 1500 more a month=which I will gladly take. I would not say a HUGE pay raise. Seniority is more important !!
I would not say double and I don't know who has. However. It will be much more than 1500 a month.

And YES they have to adhere to the Railway Labor Act. Can not just hire and replace us.
I don't think anyone in any position of power has ever suggested ignoring RLA laws.

Read and know the laws..THat is why the CFO sent the letter to ALPA. They have to adhere to alleghany mohawk and all laws in a merger.
What I read was an interpretation of Mr. VDV's letter from the head of your MEC. He is obviously not happy with the way things are progressing. He keeps telling us to get involved in the Collective Bargaining process between Airtran and Alpa. That is not going to happen as that would be a violation of the RLA. SWAPA has no right to represent or negotiate for anyone that is not on the SWAPA master seniority list. Also, SWA is bound by our CBA to not negotiate with any other pilots than those that are on the SWAPA master seniority list. So, it appears to me that Linden needs to bone up on the RLA.

Just like you will love our 737 orders=GROWTH and our training dept.(APDs) and worlds largest airport and Intl ops (how is raft training coming along) and reservation system, and internet, XM radio, not to mention flight bags in cockpit,...Ask all your SWA mgt people that have been in ATL and MCO to look at our operations. They are blown away of how advanced AT really is.
Says you. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to "blow away" a team that just turned on ATS and ABS.

SWA has always been about keeping it simple to make money. That theory seems to have worked well for us for many years. I can't remember how many successful quarters we have under our belt but it's a lot. And WE (the pilots of SWAPA) had a lot to do with that success.

I'm sure you will bring a lot to the table and we all appreciate that you do things different than us. Hopefully you will be able to be "blown away" by some of the things that we've learned to do successfully as well.

I would not say double and I don't know who has. However. It will be much more than 1500 a month.

I don't think anyone in any position of power has ever suggested ignoring RLA laws.

What I read was an interpretation of Mr. VDV's letter from the head of your MEC. He is obviously not happy with the way things are progressing. He keeps telling us to get involved in the Collective Bargaining process between Airtran and Alpa. That is not going to happen as that would be a violation of the RLA. SWAPA has no right to represent or negotiate for anyone that is not on the SWAPA master seniority list. Also, SWA is bound by our CBA to not negotiate with any other pilots than those that are on the SWAPA master seniority list. So, it appears to me that Linden needs to bone up on the RLA.

Says you. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to "blow away" a team that just turned on ATS and ABS.

SWA has always been about keeping it simple to make money. That theory seems to have worked well for us for many years. I can't remember how many successful quarters we have under our belt but it's a lot. And WE (the pilots of SWAPA) had a lot to do with that success.

I'm sure you will bring a lot to the table and we all appreciate that you do things different than us. Hopefully you will be able to be "blown away" by some of the things that we've learned to do successfully as well.

Room,

Southwest just started using VNAV and Autothrottles. Management doesn't let you fly international flights yet. I would say Airtran is a lot more advanced than your operation. But, the Airtran guys will be blown away when they see their first joint operation check thanks to your contract. Good for all of you.

OYS

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back