Airtran MEC Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas,

I wouldn't be too crabby about this. The DAL MEC did virtually the identical thing with LOA19 during the NWA/DAL merger. Heck, that had payrates for airplanes they didn't even fly.

Nu

Doesn't Bill Nelson purport to be a SWA pilot? I just figured someone who uses the words "righful place" twice in the same sentence has some idea of what that is and might share it with the rest of us. I guess not.

As for you Bake, the answer to your question "what's it to me?" should be pretty obvious.

Well, share it with the rest of us. Lay it out there so we don't have to read between the lines.

So the basic fact is that ALPA is upset because it didn't get to help negotiate the transition agreement between SWA and SWAPA. I don't see why they'd be party to a negotiation between SWA and SWAPA. Everyone keeps referencing the NWA/DAL merger--but ALPA was representing both sets of pilots so it made sense then.

I'm sure that ALPA will negotiate to get items in it's transition agreement with Airtran that won't benefit SWA or SWAPA--but I'll doubt if you will hear a wimper from SWAPA on not being included in those negotiations. If SWAPA does, you'll have my mea culpa. Until then, everything from ALPA is just sour grapes.

Heyas,

I wouldn't be too crabby about this. The DAL MEC did virtually the identical thing with LOA19 during the NWA/DAL merger. Heck, that had payrates for airplanes they didn't even fly.

Nu

Yes, but everyone was included at the table, right? When the joint contract was completed, didn't everyone have a say? That is what I have heard.

OYS

I know that FI is the Red Headed stepchild of the internet but some of you SW guys need to shut your CEO up ASAP. He is not helping your cause to make this a USAIR. We (AT) have been treated like crap for the past 6 years and are very happy to join forces but if it gets hostile its nothing new to us. We will come out fighting. Thats all we know. Thats not what anyone wants so lets keep it to just chest thumping.

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Updated: 02/27/2011 10:59am

Southwest CEO Gary Kelly says it's "absolutely imperative" for his carrier to complete its planned merger with AirTran, according to Dow Jones Newswires

The union would join the nation's two largest low-cost carriers, with Kelly arguing the deal has become increasingly important against the back-drop of steadily rising fuel costs.

"The biggest impediment to growth in the airline industry is the high cost of jet fuel," Kelly is quoted as saying by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

He's most likely saying that to get all the regulatory approvals and to help defend against the silly shareholder lawsuits.

I think he really just wants the routes and gates.

Typical CEO bs.

Thanks for making my point. It's worth over one million dollars in pilot pay differences between AAI and SW. I would say that's a pretty big difference in career expectations would you?

I'm not saying AAI wouldn't have strived to achieve those gains, but when they do it overnight with another groups contract then that qualifies as a windfall for one group. How am I wrong? The pay differences alone are 60-80%.
Red...where are you getting those outlandish 60-80% pay difference figures and applying them to the whole pilot group?

Let's take a look at a 9yr. Capt. as an example. The hourly rates are public knowledge on airlinepilotcentral.com

AT Capt. = 153/hr.
SW Capt. = 203/hr.

Doing the math, it comes out to a 32.7% difference which is not even in the ballpark of the 60-80% difference that you claim.

A lot more than just pay goes into determining career expectations. As GL has correctly stated, an arbitrator is going to look at the whole package.

I don't understand what the point of this thread is. Why don't both sides just shut up and let the unions handle it. Useless finger pointing of anonymous posters from both sides don't create much other than high blood pressures and hurt feelings.

I don't understand what the point of this thread is. Why don't both sides just shut up and let the unions handle it. Useless finger pointing of anonymous posters from both sides don't create much other than high blood pressures and hurt feelings.

What we've got is a handful of loudmouths on both sides (along with an uninvited third party stirring excrement for amusement), saying the exact same things their counterparts on the other side would be saying if their respective roles were reversed. The radical fringe on the SWA side has a couple of heros and flag bearers who were former Morris guys who actually sued us over that deal so I guess there is always hope for time healing wounds.

Nevertheless, the majority on both sides are reasonable and fair minded people who just want to enjoy a secure career and retire comfortably.

The culture of our industry is more important than any particular airline. There is nothing wrong with fair and equitable even with an inherently broad definition. For the record I don't think either relative or staple are fair and equitable, but I am just one vote that may or may not get to be cast.

There is a lot to be said for treating others as you would expect them to treat you, otherwise, Grandma wouldn't have preached it so often.

I actually hope this thing goes to arbitration because then there will be a third party to despise and blame. In the meantime, there is no reason to expend all this cyberbation getting worked up over hypothetical stuff that is simply out of our control. The future is big enough and bright enough for all of us to enjoy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back