• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC Update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of givens as I read the TA and the response from the AAI MEC.

Two different pilot groups are engaged in negotiations to help their respective pilot groups to the max extent possible exclusive of the other groups benefits (no duh!).

Each have different opinions on the Transition Agreement; that makes perfect sense.

Both are speaking to their members and expressing their thoughts, concerns, pluses and minuses. To do otherwise would be foolish and not within their charter.

Each group of elected officials/negotiating members must deal with the political, economic and operational issues that in many cases are outside their control.

It is also only the 2nd or 3rd inning in a 9 inning game; we are all a long way from the final outcome with many more turns (many unpredictable to come I'm sure).

Getting excited and stringing together long opinions about what will or won't happen is as futile as predicting the final outcome of a 9 inning game after one rotation of the batting order.

AAI responded just as SWAPA would've or any union if faced with similar circumstances.

SWAPA negotiated in the same manner as AAI would've for a TA they positively felt benefited the pilots currently on the SWAPA seniority list....what else should've they have done?

AAI MEC has communicated with their members they aren't pleased with how things have gone down so far with respect to the TA; no shock since SWA rejected their request to discuss TA related issues. I hope no one thought AAI would find that experience positive?

I still look forward (if circumstances play out) to fly and work alongside AAI crewmembers and welcome you all to what will be a highly profitable airline and career for everyone.

Don't get discouraged or over enthusiastic that one side is winning nor that your team is losing but clearly communicate with each respective elected officials to your concerns and interests.

Back to your regular programming. :beer:

And as always, we have the streaker running across the field (GL) trying to get the attention and inflame the crowd. Leaving the game to those who are playing is just too much for some I guess;)

It is also only the 2nd or 3rd inning in a 9 inning game

Actually, it appears we can't agree whether it's the 2nd or 3rd inning of an Aquisition or Merger (SWAPA thinks it's an aquisition and ALPA thinks it's a merger).

AAI responded just as SWAPA would've or any union if faced with similar circumstances

Circumstances? How can you talk circumstances when you can't even agree on the definition of the situation (it's that aquisition vs. merger thing again).

a couple of givens as i read the ta and the response from the aai mec.

Two different pilot groups are engaged in negotiations to help their respective pilot groups to the max extent possible exclusive of the other groups benefits (no duh!).

Each have different opinions on the transition agreement; that makes perfect sense.

Both are speaking to their members and expressing their thoughts, concerns, pluses and minuses. To do otherwise would be foolish and not within their charter.

Each group of elected officials/negotiating members must deal with the political, economic and operational issues that in many cases are outside their control.

It is also only the 2nd or 3rd inning in a 9 inning game; we are all a long way from the final outcome with many more turns (many unpredictable to come i'm sure).

Getting excited and stringing together long opinions about what will or won't happen is as futile as predicting the final outcome of a 9 inning game after one rotation of the batting order.

Aai responded just as swapa would've or any union if faced with similar circumstances.

Swapa negotiated in the same manner as aai would've for a ta they positively felt benefited the pilots currently on the swapa seniority list....what else should've they have done?

Aai mec has communicated with their members they aren't pleased with how things have gone down so far with respect to the ta; no shock since swa rejected their request to discuss ta related issues. I hope no one thought aai would find that experience positive?

I still look forward (if circumstances play out) to fly and work alongside aai crewmembers and welcome you all to what will be a highly profitable airline and career for everyone.

Don't get discouraged or over enthusiastic that one side is winning nor that your team is losing but clearly communicate with each respective elected officials to your concerns and interests.

And as always, we have the streaker running across the field (gl) trying to get the attention and inflame the crowd. Leaving the game to those who are playing is just too much for some i guess;)

very well said

Very sad to see another carrier go down. Within 2 years Airtran goes with the likes of TWA, PanAm, Eastern. Been nice playing with all trainees. Best of luck and hope it all works out for you.

Its an Acquisition.

book_icon.jpg

What Does Acquisition Mean?
A corporate action in which a company buys most, if not all, of the target company's ownership stakes in order to assume control of the target firm.

Orange,

I agree that AirTran will no longer exist within 2 yrs but I believe unlike the other pilots who were thrown out of jobs and then either retired from flying or were forced to take lower paying jobs at other carriers, AAI pilots will find themselves part of a team of pilots who also know how to and want to be as productive as possible, provide great customer service and contribute to the overall success of their new home at Southwest Airlines.

I can understand the nostalgia of seeing another airline's logo go away or callsign but I believe the Morris pilots would tell you they were glad their merger went the way it did; none of their pilots wish for the "good 'ole days" of being Morris pilots vs seeing where they are now.

You sight the history and ultimate demise of some of the worse tragedies in the airline industry. I'm optimistic history (and AAI pilots) will view the final outcome years from now as a benefit to their longterm financial success and job security.

Just my $.02. :)

My apologies, I'll try to be more pessimistic in the future. ;)

Its an Acquisition.

book_icon.jpg

What Does Acquisition Mean?
A corporate action in which a company buys most, if not all, of the target company's ownership stakes in order to assume control of the target firm.

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't sure but I finally get it now, an acquisition.

A couple of givens as I read the TA and the response from the AAI MEC.

Each have different opinions on the Transition Agreement; that makes perfect sense.

It is also only the 2nd or 3rd inning in a 9 inning game; we are all a long way from the final outcome with many more turns (many unpredictable to come I'm sure).

AAI responded just as SWAPA would've or any union if faced with similar circumstances.

SWAPA negotiated in the same manner as AAI would've for a TA they positively felt benefited the pilots currently on the SWAPA seniority list....what else should've they have done?

AAI MEC has communicated with their members they aren't pleased with how things have gone down so far with respect to the TA; no shock since SWA rejected their request to discuss TA related issues. I hope no one thought AAI would find that experience positive?

I still look forward (if circumstances play out) to fly and work alongside AAI crewmembers and welcome you all to what will be a highly profitable airline and career for everyone.

And as always, we have the streaker running across the field (GL) trying to get the attention and inflame the crowd. Leaving the game to those who are playing is just too much for some I guess;)

Chase,

Thanks for my mention. The only reason I did any response initally is the EXTREME cockiness of most SWA pilots. If you want to look at any recent merger, you can look at a couple different approaches to merging lists and contracts. You can look at success, or failure. The DL/NWA merger is seen as a success, since the groups got together with very little arguing and a pay raise, and the company got beneficial "synergies" sooner, which helps the overall company. The USAir merger was the exact opposite, they never got a joint contract first (big mistake), and instead got the SLI first which the East didn't like. That has thrown all "synergies" out the window, which could have made USAir MORE profitable. Instead, they have two sides that hate each other, and that won't go away quietly. UAL and CAL haven't gotten together yet either with unity, and that means a longer wait. The only thing they currently agree on is more scope protection, which is a good thing. Pay, OTOH, is still a hot issue for them, unfortunately. Egos get in the way, and that is not good for anyone. SWAPA seems to be overflowing with ego, and that is obvious to everyone.

Your SWAPA team is NOT communicating with AT ALPA. It just isn't. You may think that is fine, but in the end it will spell disaster. Keep saying to everyone everything is FINE, when you know it is NOT. If SWAPA continues to try to exclude AT ALPA in negotiations, it will only lead to more animosity. Your famous culture is at risk here, because you have always bragged about how great it is, but it isn't being shown to ANYONE. We all can see how poorly the SWAPA people are treating their future "brothers". You need UNITY for contract talks, but not necessarily SLI talks. Lawyers will fight for that, but contract talks need everyone involved, and SWAPA is excluding AT ALPA, which will lead you down the wrong path, towards USAir II. I bet you are embarrassed. I would be if I were in your shoes. I can't wait to see the eventual SLI done with arbitrators. That will give SWAPA something hard to swallow. "You can't always get what you want......" Even SWAPA.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
How can you talk circumstances when you can't even agree on the definition of the situation (it's that aquisition vs. merger thing again).

It's an aquisition of Airtran with a merger of seniority list down the road. How far down the road is still to be determined.

Chase is right about how the future could turn out. It could be very exciting for everyone on the updated list.

General, everytime you try to compare this to NW/DL you lose credibility. Not even close to the same two companies as those two. Would be like DL merging with Comair. Try again..

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back