• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think Lear was suggesting that we would expect $800k/pilot for a settlement. He was only pointing out what the potential damage could be in a worst case scenario (for the company) if an arbitrator were to award the grievance to the Association. That possible damage is the motivation for the company to bargain in good faith towards a settlement that would be much less costly.
^^^ THIS ^^^

evidently the same ones who recommended not taking the first deal.
Actually, the attorneys suggested that the MEC send it out for vote and didn't recommend anything one way or another (that's in the meeting minutes). They also, however, assumed that SWA management would follow the spirit and language of the process agreement. Their words directly to me at the MEC meeting was "If you like the agreement, vote yes. If not, vote no. Don't base your vote on the worry of non-integration."

I say again, if GK had been forthright and had nothing to hide, he would have told us BEFORE the MEC meeting of his intentions to find ways to operate us separately if the deal wasn't ratified. That's something that will continue to chafe us as long as you keep bringing it up.

Want us to get over things? Quit bringing it up. It's just that simple.

My pay has no relation to your seniority.
Exactly.

The simple truth is that SWAPA has zero, zilch, nada, NO control over any changes we make to OUR CBA on this side of the partition. If we work something out with SWA management in exchange for the multiple issues that have arisen because of business choices SWA is making that negatively affect us and our CBA yet don't affect you in the slightest, well that's just what will happen. Like I've said, it is my hope they will work with us in good faith to solve these issues. If the solution happens to be snap-up to your CBA rates, then,,, well,,, Sorry you don't like it, but it doesn't affect you, so...

This is what happens when you allow alter-ego carriers. IMHO, SWAPA should have filed for one CBA and one representative structure from the get-go, just like every OTHER successful merger in recent history. Separate unions on separate CBA's (like UAir/AWA) cause problems...

This is case in point.

Last edited:
Lear if you guys thought the 717 was going to stay then you are clueless. So to come back and say we had no idea is poor planning. You always have to look at what GK doesnt say or how he says what he does.

Lear if you guys thought the 717 was going to stay then you are clueless.
So MV, Russ M., Joe H, and other senior management people telling us, during negotiations, in a direct answer to "what happens if the 717's go away early?" and them telling us "This lower pay rate until you transition makes sure the 717 stays "at least" through their lease terminations instead of us looking to dump them ASAP" is being "clueless"?

I'm sorry, I take people at their word when negotiating. I ask a straight question, get a straight answer, and expect it to happen.

Last edited:
So MV, Russ M., Joe H, and other senior management people telling us, during negotiations, in a direct answer to "what happens if the 717's go away early?" and them telling us "This lower pay rate until you transition makes sure the 717 stays "at least" through their lease terminations instead of us looking to dump them ASAP" is being "clueless"?

I'm sorry, I take people at their word when negotiating. I ask a straight question, get a straight answer, and expect it to happen.

You have been working for AirTran on and off for the last 6 years right? What part of your above statement came from that experience?

Good luck with that....... The LUV mgt and BOD are going to do what they want to do when they want to do it..

They never wanted to keep the 717 long term, even as early as inking the deal. I'm sure they were looking for ways out of it. As soon as I heard that the 717 sim wasn't coming to Dallas, I knew it was a done deal....and that was over a year ago.

Lear,

I still don't understand why you think Gary should have told you he might liquidate if you didn't pass the first agreement?

If you go in to buy a car, do you tell the dealer what your second move is going to be up front? I think he didn't say anything because he honestly thought the first agreement would pass. In the back of his mind, I think he saw 'the letter' as a nuclear option that he would never get too. The MEC proved him wrong by throwing it back in his face.

He never wanted to write that letter.

Only one problem with your quote of your CBA there, MILF: I don't work under your CBA or your Side Letter 10. Those documents only cover AirTran pilots after they've transitioned to Southwest.

Only one problem with your retort there, PCL:

6. Reference to Section 4.C. EQUIPMENT LONGEVITY PAY:
Effective January 1, 2015, the B717 rates will snap up to B737 rates applicable in the

CBA at that time. Until such time, current AirTran pilots' B717 pay rates will remain at
the AirTran rate, adjusted as needed for TFP /block hour conversion and any applicableincrease per the AirTran CBA.

Your payrates are specifically addressed in our CBA, so any changes would be a violation of our CBA.

I get that you see the issue as a two-party discussion to which we have no say, but the agreement was in fact a three-party deal and shouldn't be changed one way or the other without the consent of all parties.

Latest resources

Back