• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran MEC Chair message.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I really don't mind if you snap up to our rates, but with one very specific condition. Given that your group is about 25% of our group, I would expect 4x the dollar amount distributed to our group at the same time.

Say what you will, but we pay for our Scope, Side Letters, etc, by taking less money for better language. If that language, or those Side Letters are going to change, we should get paid!

Only one problem with your retort there, PCL:

6. Reference to Section 4.C. EQUIPMENT LONGEVITY PAY:
Effective January 1, 2015, the B717 rates will snap up to B737 rates applicable in the

CBA at that time. Until such time, current AirTran pilots' B717 pay rates will remain at
the AirTran rate, adjusted as needed for TFP /block hour conversion and any applicableincrease per the AirTran CBA.

The last part of that is the most important part. "...any applicable increase per the AirTran CBA." SWA management can amend our CBA, (with our permission of course), and change the pay up or down without SWAPA doing anything about it. We are a separate entity from you and our CBA has zero to do with your SWAPA CBA. All it takes is a side letter on our side, and the language in your contract is still met.

To be honest, I'm fine either way. I think it'd help morale, but there's likely many that would say that's not enough. I just don't understand why SWA pilots would even want people on our MSL making a different wage for doing the same job. Sounds petty and extremely divisive, but hey...we're only sharing cockpits for the next 30+ years.

You have been working for AirTran on and off for the last 6 years right? What part of your above statement came from that experience?

We are now working for Southwest management. I gave them the benefit of the doubt to be different than our prior management team.

I just don't understand why SWA pilots would even want people on our MSL making a different wage for doing the same job. Sounds petty and extremely divisive, but hey...we're only sharing cockpits for the next 30+ years.
+1

But maybe management wants us divided... Especially during SWAPA Sec 6 negotiations. Just a thought.

The wages are different because YOU all agreed to make less coin. Makes no matter to me what you get paid, but YOU agreed to it, lets not forget that little detail.

We are now working for Southwest management. I gave them the benefit of the doubt to be different than our prior management team.

Yet, you have dealt with mgmt from the beginning the same way you had to deal w/ the mgmt that laid you off for no reason.
You've been aggressively asserting that you guys had an immediate right to our CBA and relative seniority from the beginning.

How could you not be disappointed with that type of expectation-

I honestly think the best solution would be to press for a ratio of your pilots to get to delta- which would be a good perspective builder if nothing else-
But to argue for money when all along you've been pretending that $$ doesn't matter...??? No way

I dont think he was laid off. But, he has been in and around the business long enough to know better then take ANY management for its word. While I"ll take GK over any other CEO in the business. One still needs to be watchful of what and how he says things. To think his lawyers didnt vet this out is absurd.

Last edited:
Your payrates are specifically addressed in our CBA, so any changes would be a violation of our CBA.

This really comes down to the most basic elements of labor law. If you don't have that knowledge, then call the SWAPA office and ask to speak to the in-house attorney or your own NC. They can clear it up for you, since I'm sure you won't believe me. But I have no doubt that they'll confirm the following:

SWAPA is incapable of having provisions in its agreement that pertain to pilots who are not represented by SWAPA. SWAPA contracts (including side letters) can only apply to SWAPA members. Again, that is labor law at its most basic level. What your CBA can and does address is former AirTran pilots who have crossed the partition and begun training on the Southwest side. When you read that paragraph, that is who it is talking about. Not AirTran pilots who are still on the AirTran side of the partition. On our side of the partition, the only legal document relating to our pay is own CBA (including letters of agreement and MOUs).

Another correction: Side Letter 10 is not a 3-party document. Only SWAPA members voted on it. Just like only AirTran pilots voted on our own LOA dealing with the seniority integration. The SIA was not a single document, but a package of documents, and not all three parties were signatories to every part of it. You can't vote on my contract anymore than I can vote on yours. At least not until we're all SWAPA pilots.

Latest resources

Back