• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran jumpseating!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's great, but until the gate monkeys get the word, and the Delta AND DCI crews make sure that jumpseaters aren't left behind, there's a lot of room for improvement all over ATL.

I actually tried to jumpseat on ASA the other day, trying to get home an hour early, and the idiot behind the podium didn't understand the "new" system . . . never "activated" me as a standby, and I never got called for the flight. I really didn't care, since I would rather sit in Business class on my own airline's flight an hour later, but I thought I'd give it a whirl on ASA, and regardless of how many jumpseaters they take on paper, that RJ left, with me and a SWA pilot standing there.

But go ahead, complain about our policy . . . I'm all ears.

That's great, but until the gate monkeys get the word, and the Delta AND DCI crews make sure that jumpseaters aren't left behind, there's a lot of room for improvement all over ATL.

I actually tried to jumpseat on ASA the other day, trying to get home an hour early, and the idiot behind the podium didn't understand the "new" system . . . never "activated" me as a standby, and I never got called for the flight. I really didn't care, since I would rather sit in Business class on my own airline's flight an hour later, but I thought I'd give it a whirl on ASA, and regardless of how many jumpseaters they take on paper, that RJ left, with me and a SWA pilot standing there.

But go ahead, complain about our policy . . . I'm all ears.

OK, you're policy is garbage.

400Adude,

OK, so the policy is garbage. I don't commute, but tell me what Delta would say to me if the available jumpseat was taken and I wanted to get a ride?

This horse is dead! If you don't get the policy your too stupid to utilize it anyway. Lets move on to more important matters. Speaking of which... Hey Ty, it's about time for a Flora Bama run isn't it?

I got your sarcasm, somewhat lame.

Since when does the capt have authority over only one seat?

OK untwist your "y" fronts get off your high horse and chill out a bit.;) The point was I was twisting a old argument over who the owns the jumpseat, Capt or Company, and the fact that FL has only one. When the door is open it is a different matter. It is like a certain airline 's Capt trying to remove an ID 90 rider in uniform thinking he was jumpseating all because of who he worked for. Not up to him in that instance. Anyhoo all of this is getting to complicated, so if you didn't get it my bad, I am sure all appreciate FL's system when faced with the last flight out.
:beer:

Where have you been, down in Margaritaville smokin the company weed with Ty? Delta extended us the courtesy of multiple jumpseat last month. Yeah thats right multiple "jumpseat" , not 1st jumpseater rides free and everyone after that gets a free walk up pass. Multiple "jumpseat".
Tell that to every DAL gate agent in the system.

It's been 3 weeks since that memo came out, the gate agents in BNA haven't heard anything about it and the gate agents in ATL keep deciding that we don't have ANY jumpseat agreement with DAL and that we can only write ID90 / ID75 passes through our company (even presented with the COMPANY letter stating we no longer have an ID90/75 pass agreement with DAL), as recently as last week on the entire B concourse.

Yes, I called the J/S committee.

It would be nice to have an official letter on DAL letterhead stating the unlimited jumpseat policy to drop off at the station manager's office in BNA and carry when trying to get out of ATL...

Elag, no big deal. I understood what you were trying to say, and I'm glad you appreciate it as we appreciate rides on other airlines when we can get them.

In this case, however, if someone were to actually approach the flight crew and start bashing them for having to "pay for the jumpseat", I wouldn't blame the Captain one bit if he pulled him to the side, explained that it was still a courtesy, then kick him off the aircraft if he continued in his or her verbal abuse.

Pass riding is just as much a privilege as jumpseating; it does NOT entitle someone to give the crew a rash of crap for ANYTHING. It DOES entitle you to board the aircraft, sit there, and STFU, saying please and thank you for your soda and pretzels. You are NOT a full-fare passenger in this case and MOST crews wouldn't tolerate verbal abuse from a REVENUE passenger, much less a standby pass-rider. How far would that person be from going from verbal abuse to physical abuse? Not far, according to the research they present in the CRM classes.

Bottom line: CA's discretion rules. Period.

Last edited:
I didn't read it as the jumper verbally abusing the Captain.

I read it as the Captain exersising his overblown ego and sense of self importance that he would rather pound his chest and say "I am Capt. Hear me Roar" than promote a sense of goodwill amongst us mere mortals.

Having said that, if the jumpseat has been given out, and you bought a pass, don't get on my plane stating that you "paid to jumpseat", or I will return you whence you came from, allow you to collect your $25 back and you can wait for the next flight, or go try your luck over at Big D.
Maybe it's just a point of view, but if someone got on the aircraft and "STATED" to me that they just had to "pay to jumpseat", I'd take that as someone jumping our case over it.

If, however, you got on the aircraft, didn't understand the policy, and POLITELY ASKED why you had to, it would be an entire different story.

It's all in presentation and, in my opinion, Ty put it out there as someone starting a rash of crap over it once they got on board with a gate-purchased pass.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back