Airtran Hiring F.O's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CapnVegetto said:
If ya'll would get rid of that stupid 500 hours 121 PIC requirement you'd get a lot more good qualified applicants.

Dude, it's more about limiting the number of apps they have to process, than it is about anything else.

You can also typically get background checks back quicker on someone that's been a 121 pilot than someone than it is to verify someone that's just been flying 91, and not subject to any federal background checks. With the former, the company can get them on property and out of training quicker. Important stuff when they are hiring at the rate they are.

I can't imagine Airtran is loosing any sleep on not getting the hotshot big iron 91/135 only guys.

Don't sweat it.

It's all about the money. If they can hire a 55 year old they only have to pay him for ten years...... You think I'm joking? The old farts here are giddy because they are sure that this November the age 60 rule is out the door. Had a check airman on my jumpseat last week that's 59 and he might as well have been dancin around like a little school girl. He tried to rationalize how it was good for me. As a captain, it don't make much difference to me now, but to the new guys it sucks. When it comes, it should be phased in slowly so that no one group gets a windfall.
As to furloughs, we've hired more ATA guys than Southwest, alot of TWA'ers, USAirways (some that left before they were furloughed but didn't want to fly the 170) etc. etc. etc. Having talked to someone that works the Air Inc. seminars, that is a key to geting called. I know it sucks to have to pay to play, if you hate Kit so bad you can go to an OBAP or Women in Aviation conference for a meet and greet. (If I were single, I'd go to the women in aviation deal, find a wife and let her support me while I did domething outside of aviation) Just my 2 cents

newnan said:
It's all about the money. If they can hire a 55 year old they only have to pay him for ten years...... You think I'm joking? The old farts here are giddy because they are sure that this November the age 60 rule is out the door. Had a check airman on my jumpseat last week that's 59 and he might as well have been dancin around like a little school girl. He tried to rationalize how it was good for me. As a captain, it don't make much difference to me now, but to the new guys it sucks. When it comes, it should be phased in slowly so that no one group gets a windfall.
As to furloughs, we've hired more ATA guys than Southwest, alot of TWA'ers, USAirways (some that left before they were furloughed but didn't want to fly the 170) etc. etc. etc. Having talked to someone that works the Air Inc. seminars, that is a key to geting called. I know it sucks to have to pay to play, if you hate Kit so bad you can go to an OBAP or Women in Aviation conference for a meet and greet. (If I were single, I'd go to the women in aviation deal, find a wife and let her support me while I did domething outside of aviation) Just my 2 cents

Im always SOL when it comes to those conferences - gone, etc. I think I will make time for the next one. Does Airtran do interviews there or do you just get your foot in the door by talking, shaking hands and handing over an app?

dtfl said:
Does ??????? do interviews there or do you just get your foot in the door by talking, shaking hands and handing over an app?
It is my understanding from the people that actually go and represent the company, that this is a prescreening process. It cost ??????? money to go to these things. I asked why are we paying to go to these things when we have resume's out the wazzooo. They say that this is an efficient vetting process. I asked, what would stop me from coming and blowing sunshine up your a$$ to make me look good to get a job. They said, because you talk to different people and they can figure it out. It sounds sort of like survivor, if they all like you, they don't vote you off the Island. I stopped asking questions, obviously I don't see the big picture. On the bright side, you might get to meet "the coach", that'll probably be your most pleasant experience with him.

newnan said:
It is my understanding from the people that actually go and represent the company, that this is a prescreening process. It cost ??????? money to go to these things. I asked why are we paying to go to these things when we have resume's out the wazzooo. They say that this is an efficient vetting process. I asked, what would stop me from coming and blowing sunshine up your a$$ to make me look good to get a job. They said, because you talk to different people and they can figure it out. It sounds sort of like survivor, if they all like you, they don't vote you off the Island. I stopped asking questions, obviously I don't see the big picture. On the bright side, you might get to meet "the coach", that'll probably be your most pleasant experience with him.
Copy. They ask a few Qs - find out about your background, etc. I got it. Meet n greet. Who is The Coach?
Seriously, thanks for the reply (hard to get those on this board at time). I am going to make time for the DFW one in July...I like the south and yall have always been great to fly on, even when in a Delta uniform - to me that says something. When I dated a girl in Chi-town - I always made it on time too!!! :) If Delta knew I flew yall vs us..:)

dtfl said:
Copy. They ask a few Qs - find out about your background, etc. I got it. Meet n greet. Who is The Coach?
Seriously, thanks for the reply (hard to get those on this board at time). I am going to make time for the DFW one in July...I like the south and yall have always been great to fly on, even when in a Delta uniform - to me that says something. When I dated a girl in Chi-town - I always made it on time too!!! :) If Delta knew I flew yall vs us..:)
Don't worry about the coach, just talk about team effort and teams win. Look for a guy in polyester pants with no belt and saddle shoes (he says they're coaching shoes????) and oh yeah, you got to be a dawgs fan

LOL - I like Coach. He reminds me of my first Lear Chief Pilot. No B.S., that's for certain. He seems to like to see a "Captain's Captain" kind of attitude, walking tall, looking good, speaking calmly yet confidently, and showing your willingness to do whatever it takes for the passengers and operation completion.

That said, I've never seen him at an AIR, Inc conference and I've been to at least 2 a year for the last 5 years or so. I went down to see some buds who were doing the AIR, Inc thing on Saturday and I could've sworn I actually saw Floy P on his way out the door.

p.s. Just being a football fan and being able to intelligently talk football for 30 to 60 seconds is a great way to make a good impression. You don't have to be a Dawgs fan; I actually told him I was a Fightin' Irish fan and he still gave me the thumbs up. :D

Lear70 said:
That said, I've never seen him at an AIR, Inc conference and I've been to at least 2 a year for the last 5 years or so. I went down to see some buds who were doing the AIR, Inc thing on Saturday and I could've sworn I actually saw Floy P on his way out the door.

Yeah, Floy was there. He did the group address, but I didn't see him during the face-to-face part. Nice folks, hope to get a call.

Latest resources

Back