Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
n25na said:
you sound just like the applicant I bet they are looking for

Too bad I'm not looking for them. Never said I was.

I just think it's a dumba$$ requirement. I think it's completely frickin dumb how Airtran's HR dept. somehow thinks that someone with 5000 hours of PIC in a G550 is unqualified to pull gear in a 717, or perhaps less qualified than someone that's got 500 hours in a 402 for Cape Air. It's just a stupid requirement. That's what I think. You don't like it, ask me if I give a $hit. It's an OPINION people......

Seems like every airline has at least one stupid dog trick you must perform before they will deign to talk with you.

AirTran-500 121PIC
FedEx-meet n greet
SWA-Type (yeah, I know, not "required"....good luck getting the call w/o it though)

Can anyone else think of other places that have what you consider to be an absurd hurdle?

when i interviewed in jan 06.. didin't get it. my competition were five silver haired ex delta, (lump summers) who were int'l 76 or 77 captains, former air force, a 72 freight captain, an usa 3000 captain.

Joe lewis, the asst chief pilot, said they were taking the best available, since he was ex NFL player, kind of made me think of the draft strategy. "take the best available player left"

i would think it might be a bit awkward for a 30 year old captain who never had a type at a regional to be calling gear up to a guy with 15000 more hours and who has flown int'l for many years. (i know , i know, standardized training, but)

i still would like to work there. i think it is a good company

AirTran-500 121PIC
FedEx-meet n greet
SWA-Type (yeah, I know, not "required"....good luck getting the call w/o it though)

What is this meet and greet thing? You don't get called unless you attend?
I got the feeling that was some bonus face-time event?

I just had a buddy get a call from Southwest for the interview WITHOUT the type rating. He will interview in June.

Those "lump sumers" are great to fly with. No ego, big bank account, just happy to still be doing it. Great stories to go along, and they have seen it all. The 25 minute turns get pretty funny, but in general, good group. I'll take those guys over the furloughed, pissed at the world, this is my 5th airline, another young Captain guys ANY day.

SWA/FO said:
I just had a buddy get a call from Southwest for the interview WITHOUT the type rating. He will interview in June.

That would be the exception to the rule. It is pretty much a certainty that he will have one before getting hired though.

To atldc9:

That last statement makes you sound like an arrogant jerk. I hope you and your mighty left seat never have to experience anything close to what some of these "furloughed, pissed at the world, this is my fifth airline, another young captain" have gone through!

Congratulations on your superior decision making skills in the job arena. I suspect it has more to do with luck than skill, but as my grandfather used to say, "I would rather be lucky than good."

Maybe next time one of these guys is having a tough time of it, you could actually show a little empathy. Then, quietly say a prayer that you and your family have not been subject to the mighty furlough.

Boeingdriver

Last edited:
Phaedrus said:
Seems like every airline has at least one stupid dog trick you must perform before they will deign to talk with you.

Phay-dude, I wuz like thinkin I wuz the only one dat had to do the stupid dog trick. Dude, my teeth are still killin me from catchin da frisbee them dudes were throwin. Persnally, I thought dat whole thing with da fire hydrant thingee was freaking crazy, but dude, I gots da job! Yeah, I gots da job. Dude, now I know how to scratch my..... Naw bro, dis be a family website dude, so I aint sayin it to anyone excepts my therapist.

Goods luck to all da Tranny wannabees!!!!!

AWWWWW YYEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

boeingdriver said:
That last statement makes you sound like an arrogant jerk. I hope you and your mighty left seat never have to experience anything close to what some of these "furloughed, pissed at the world, this is my fifth airline, another young captain" have gone through!

Congratulations on your superior decision making skills in the job arena. I suspect it has more to do with luck than skill, but as my grandfather used to say, "I would rather be lucky than good."

Maybe next time one of these guys is having a tough time of it, you could actually show a little empathy. Then, quietly say a prayer that you and your family have not been subject to the mighty furlough.

True dat, well some of dat dude. It like suuuuuuuccckkkkks to be furloughed dude, but I be thinkin dat ATLDC9 dude be sayin that some of these peeps come into da Tranny and are filled with the hate instead of feelin the joy. Yeah, bro I like be prayin for da peeps too, cause furlough is bad bad bad, but when you gets to workin for da Tranny, you just gots to be leavin that baggage somewhere udder than in the flight deck.

But dude, if you gots issues with hatin, my therapist is freaking great!!! (Except for the stupid dog trick thing he makes me and Phay do).

Peace!

Latest resources

Back