• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

airtran furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's outside the 60 minute window, so too late to edit my original post, but a bit of research reveals the total number of a/c operated by the company is 143, not 137, and its total number of pilots is approximately 1667. It doesn't change it much, but the original post ought to have read as follows:

The Company currently operates 143 aircraft and has approximately 1667 pilots, keeping to its historic ratio of about 12 pilots/aircraft (11.64 to be exact).

Per Fornaro's presentation at today's Merrill Lynch Transportation Conference, the Company plans a fleet of 135-140 aircraft through 2009. Let's call it 135 and assume they reduce the pilot/plane ratio to 11/1. (Any further reduction would likely require some serious changes to the present contract, changes unlikely to be agreed to any time soon, IMO.)

That brings you down to 1485 pilots for a loss of 182... IF they get down to 135 aircraft.

Assuming they stay at 143 a/c for the time being, and reduce staffing to 11/1, it takes you to down 1507 pilots for a loss of 94.

And the number I keep hearing is an initial furlough of 90-120.

FWIW.

I would be careful throwing out the simple math. I think if it comes to furloughs the company will ask for voluntary furloughs first. You might be surprised how many guys might take that, Captains and F/Os. The company will try to do all it can to prevent furloughing a first year F/O. At 40 some bones an hour and no B fund contribution, they are cheap labor. Not to mention the training cycles it creates with a two fleet airline. I am not saying NOT to update the resume and find your logbook, but to it may not be time to freak out yet. I could be way off base but I think this oil thing might be close to blowing its wad. Only time will tell. Good luck to all of us.

It's outside the 60 minute window, so too late to edit my original post, but a bit of research reveals the total number of a/c operated by the company is 143, not 137, and its total number of pilots is approximately 1667. It doesn't change it much, but the original post ought to have read as follows:

The Company currently operates 143 aircraft and has approximately 1667 pilots, keeping to its historic ratio of about 12 pilots/aircraft (11.64 to be exact).

Per Fornaro's presentation at today's Merrill Lynch Transportation Conference, the Company plans a fleet of 135-140 aircraft through 2009. Let's call it 135 and assume they reduce the pilot/plane ratio to 11/1. (Any further reduction would likely require some serious changes to the present contract, changes unlikely to be agreed to any time soon, IMO.)

That brings you down to 1485 pilots for a loss of 182... IF they get down to 135 aircraft.

Assuming they stay at 143 a/c for the time being, and reduce staffing to 11/1, it takes you to down 1507 pilots for a loss of 94.

And the number I keep hearing is an initial furlough of 90-120.

FWIW.

With the cost/complexity of downgrades/furloughs, don't forget the company can bring the average block hour per line down from the mid 80's (where it is this summer) to the lower 70's for the fall.

There will be a minimum number of pilots needed to fly the busy summer, holiday, and spring breaks seasons. For the rest of the time, they can just bring the average block down.

The real question is how many total block hours does the company plan on flying with the 135-140 airplanes during the busy periods of 2009. This will determine the pilot staffing requirement for 2009.

Anyone have any info on if any 717's are being lined up for sale in 2008? Fornaro makes it pretty clear in his presentation that we have gained signicant equity since 2003 with our 737's, so it looks like most of the sales would be the more desired 737's.

There's many avenues which may be explore before considering furloughs,like reducing the LVI or offering volunteer furlough.
I am a taker as long as they allow me to keep my ID and pass privileges.

I was one of the 98' furloughees. I realize it's been a decade, but I certainly hope NPA handles this one better than the last.

The lack of information and support was obscene.

Best of luck to all of you.

If a guy took the voluntary, would he/she keep pass privileges and j/s ability? How about un-employment?

If a guy took the voluntary, would he/she keep pass privileges and j/s ability? How about un-employment?

My wife took a voluntary furlought at ACA/Independence and the answers were no, no, and none. Don't know specifically about here though.

Latest resources

Back