• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

airtran furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe the contract states the training dept. people have to go first....which they should already be gone. AT paying them 25 hours gurt. at 70-75.00 an hour=for nothing!!!!

Alot of people would take a vol. leave if offered. As a company you want top paying people to take a leave not the bottom.

AT CAL when offered leaves= employees could keep travel, but had to pay cobra insurance, and kept recurring senoirty.

If a guy took the voluntary, would he/she keep pass privileges and j/s ability? How about un-employment?

No unemployment, but the contract says all voluntary leaves still receive benefits and maintain seniority.

I believe the contract states the training dept. people have to go first....which they should already be gone. AT paying them 25 hours gurt. at 70-75.00 an hour=for nothing!!!!
The retired guys have no guarantee.

Don't know if it the same at all airlines and in all states. But this is the general idea:

Furlough (voluntary/involuntary)- Similar to complete seperation except you can come back when recalled. Turn in ID and lose all benefits (except COBRA). The plus is you can collect unemployment benefits.

LOA- Keep ID and some/most benefits. Drawback - not eligible for unemployment benefits.

Numbers from Airline pilot central:

Airtran 1675 pilots for 141 airplanes = 11.9 pilots/airplane.
1675/135=12.4 p/a
1675/130=12.9 p/a

Jetblue 2006 for 135= 14.9 p/a
SWA 5600 for 529= 10.6 p/a
Alaska 1520 for 108= 14.1 p/a
AMR 9015 for 699= 12.9 p/a
CAL 5068/375= 13.5 p/a
Spirit 546/35= 15.6 p/a
Frontier 718/62= 11.6 p/a
USAir 5028/372= 13.5 p/a
Average= 13.3

So even if we get rid of 11 airplanes our staffing levels are better than most.

The only companies with staffing levels less than 10 pilots per airplane seem to be the regionals. Expecially the ones with weaker work rules that have a better block verse credit hour ratio; making it more cost effective for them to reduce staffing.

The bad news is this is a difference of 1 pilot or 141 pilots furloughed worse case.

Hows my math?

700 line FOs for 70 pilots not furloughed
700 line CA for 70 pilots not downgraded so...
70 pilots per list X 70 hrs = 4900 hours /700= 7 hour line value reduction for all line pilots.

This doesn't include the benefit expenses.

Last edited:
Per SEC 8-K for June 19 2008 airtran has 143 aircraft. 87 717s and 56 737s. However, I have not seen any 737s with ship numbers above 354.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back