AirTran emergency lndg.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
climbhappy said:
with changes in TSA rules, and how it affects operations, shouldn't a check airman throw this in on reucrrent check rides? the management should decide what is sound judgment for Airtran and pass this wisdom to the check airmen who pass it on to captains.
It could be the kind of thing you do on a loft or getting vectors after the airwork etc. Not on the single engine ILS.

"management should decide what is sound judgment"

Too many sarcastic comments - head is going to explode........

32 & TY....Please stop it. Keep it to the PM side of things. No more name calling, flamebait (scab comments). I am not asking again.

thanks

mullet said:
It's the illegal beverage you brought on board. If you refused to drink it...
You can make all the assumptions you want, it's your children's future estate that will be buying me a new car and a down payment on a house.

FN FAL said:
One. An airline employee isn't making me drink anything.

You have that option. We also have the option of diverting and dropping you off in Amarillo or Boise.

FN FAL said:
Two. There are some chemicals that if you smell them, you'll lose organ function...don't open strange bottles with unknown contents and smell or drink anything.

Really? Unless there's hydrogen cyanide under pressure or an organophosphate nerve agent in there, there's not much a little whiff is going to do to you. I'm not talking about snorting a dollop... just a wave of the hand over the bottle.

FN FAL said:
You can make all the assumptions you want, it's your children's future estate that will be buying me a new car and a down payment on a house.

Being the successful aviation attorney that you obviously are, how do you manage to find the time for almost 8,500 posts?!

Careful guys. 32LT10 might add your screennames to his "list."

Green said:
Who would have ever thought an airliner would make an emergency landing on account of a bottle of water? I hate to question the captain's judgement but why not just confiscate the bottle of water? Once it's on the plane it's on the plane. I guess it could have been operating on a timer...Are we all taking crazy pills?

I presume that under the new 'rules' airlines management have directed crews to ask passengers with liquids to give them up to the FA's when asked, and to consider a divert when pax refuse to do so. Ours has done it anyway. If and when it happens to me, that's when I writeup the FA-Flightdeck intercom. ("sorry I can't hear you, can't open the door, security you know")

Oh, I know, they fear hot starbucks bought inside the secure area can be used as a weapon? Or they're waiting to do background checks on food and drink vendors inside the secure areas. Ludicrous I tell ya.

None of you all were there, none of you were on board so none of you really knows what the situation was. Sure you read it in the paper, heard it on the news, so therefore all facts must have been provided. I am sure that it is that simple. Again, monday morning quarterback all you want, and get your digs in on AirTran and the crew but until you have been there or were there you don't know sh!t.

Here are two personal examples of the media screwing up stories that I have was there for.

#1. My Marine unit was deployed for the first war in Iraq, NBC interviewed a young Marine in my unit and the Marine said during the interview, "we just want to get the job done and go home." Nothing more nothing less. So on our NBC affiliate local evening news they lead off with "...a possible mutiny in a local artillery battery serving in Iraq tonight at 10."

The kid said he wanted to get the job done and go home, no mention of a mutiny there.

#2 When I was in college a history professor was walking across our campus carrying a civil war era musket for a presentation in class. On the local news, breaking news, "Sniper on the campus of the University of XXX we are there live."

Wow the media sure has some credibility. Yeah that is sarcasm.

So to read that article and then come on here and second guess a professional airline crew is really well to put it simply, stupid. It doesn't matter if its AirTran, AA, UAL, DAL, Mesa whatever. You do not have first hand knowledge.

Reminds me of the opening to Ned's Atomic Dustbin "Kill Your Television" "She said, She said, you don't know sh!t 'cause you've never been there..."

Notice I am not saying they did the right thing or the wrong thing. I wasn't there.

Ty Webb said:
. now, how about moving on and growing up?

I will be at the end of the month and I am sure you will miss me.:laugh: Not doing this shiiiitt anymore.

Back to the story.... if what is said in the article is true then I would hope the individual (Capt, Dispachthetic, etc...) who ultimately made this decision is given a little talk and properly trained on the economics of the price of gas. Seriously, diverting over a bottle of water?? I just can't believe it dude. There has got to be a something here that didn't make the papers. I challenge any Airtran guy to come forward and give the real scoop or if bad, the real poop. It does make for some good ribbing on you all though.:laugh:

PS: I want to thank Canoa for such an outstanding avatar. Pretty funny!:laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back