AirTran emergency lndg.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
shoulgn't this kind of judgment call com up in recurrent

with changes in TSA rules, and how it affects operations, shouldn't a check airman throw this in on reucrrent check rides? the management should decide what is sound judgment for Airtran and pass this wisdom to the check airmen who pass it on to captains.
It could be the kind of thing you do on a loft or getting vectors after the airwork etc. Not on the single engine ILS.

HighSpeedClimb said:
What would they have done if this flight was somewhere over the Pacific Ocean?????

From the sound of this decision-making process, one would have to assume they would have ditched.

skiandsurf said:
What does that mean? Remember they put one in the everglades one time. Not knowing what was in the bottle, and under the current situation, I think the crew did the right thing. I think the passengers should beat the hell out of the passenger for not following the rules.

What if it was a little old lady? Would still have the same opinion?

I'm sorry, diverting for a bottle of water is lunacy.

Options - Mullet's is sound. Open the bottle. Smell. Note the viscosity and color. Then make the pax drink a few big swallows. Return the bottle of water to the passenger.

Or - Open the bottle. Smell. If it seems suspicious, THEN you lock everything down and immediately divert to the nearest airport, because there may be accomplices.

As crewmembers, we need to be better educated on explosives. Unless the liquid is exceptionally unstable, it'll still need a booster, such as a blasting cap. Liquid explosives do not look or smell like water. Nitromethanes, hydrazines, acetone/peroxides, all of these stink like crazy.

Added: OK, I missed the odor part. Given that, then the decision to divert wasn't a bad one.

The F/A probably dumped the water in the lav, hence the strong smell.

Gorilla said:
Options - Mullet's is sound. Open the bottle. Smell. Note the viscosity and color. Then make the pax drink a few big swallows. Return the bottle of water to the passenger.
One. An airline employee isn't making me drink anything.

Two. There are some chemicals that if you smell them, you'll lose organ function...don't open strange bottles with unknown contents and smell or drink anything.

You guys are really something else. At least you gave me a good laugh for the day.

That's sad old man (or woman) that this is the highlight of your day.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back