Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran drops 5 cities, does SWA know what to do? Could it be....?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't think Lee said anything but the title. What did it say in the article? Only Airtran, not SWA, is leaving IAD. I think he did underline some stuff, though.

Godspeed!

OYS

Slaquer7 told me u two are nuts

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you guys hadn't already figured it out, starting in 2012, AirTran's 737's are going to be taken out of service to be reconfigured under SWA colors. Expect to see more AirTran schedule reductions as their fleet comes under SWA's. Some cities will be cut, but some will come back in the SWA schedule.

FL has 52 737-700 age ranges from 2.5-7.5 years old. How long will it take to repaint, and reconfigure the seats to WN seating.

Not quite.

54 days for each 737. 15 days for the 717's. The 737's will take longer because of the removal of one lav and the addition of a galley in its place. Many 737's will also add the equipment necessary for extended overwater ops while they are in, including ceiling-mounted rafts, HF and Selcal equipment, etc. Some aircraft will take a little longer as they will get C checks while they're in.

This is old news. We always knew we were going to lose quite a few cities out of the deal; SWA management was very clear about it. One of the main reasons is that the ramp / counter agents at Southwest do not allow ANY outsourcing, and many of those cities we only serve a few times a week or seasonally. Therefore the cost of making them all Southwest employees full-time and keeping service year-round, especially if the yields won't support it, makes it cost-prohibitive.

Also, as was mentioned, some of the city pairings currently flown by 737's will be served by 717's next year as those 737's are removed from service for reconfiguring. Therefore there won't be a large reduction in flying on the 717, but there will be SOME; line values are expected to decrease to close to guarantee during the transition, varying somewhat by how fast they take pilots over the partition.

In short... nothing to see here, move along.

Actually Lear the ramp contract DOES allow outsourcing of staff under certain conditions/size. I do not know what exactly the constraints are but for this reason I thought we would be keeping some of these smaller cities and perhaps adding some of our own based on GK own words. That was before the economy headed south again and fuel prices headed north. I am sure there will be more to come.

Actually Lear the ramp contract DOES allow outsourcing of staff under certain conditions/size. I do not know what exactly the constraints are but for this reason I thought we would be keeping some of these smaller cities and perhaps adding some of our own based on GK own words. That was before the economy headed south again and fuel prices headed north. I am sure there will be more to come.

Hmmmmmmm, someone's not telling the tRuth then. Lear said ANY. Who's lying?

Lear is not lying, but he has information that is a little dated. The ground employees old contract didn't allow for any outsourcing. Their latest contract allows for stations with fewer than some floor number of flights to be staffed by contract employees. I am not sure what the floor number is.

Blue B, sorry but I think ending service to Moline was announced previously.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back