Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran drops 5 cities, does SWA know what to do? Could it be....?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

DALLAS (AP) -- AirTran Airways said Friday that it will stop flights to five destinations including Miami next June because of the weak economy and high fuel costs.

AirTran, which was bought by Southwest Airlines Co. in May, will end service after June 2 to Dulles International Airport outside Washington, D.C.; Miami International Airport; Knoxville, Tenn.; Bloomington-Normal, Ill.; and Charleston, W.V.

The airline operates about three daily flights at Dulles and Bloomington. It operates a handful of flights at the other three locations with vendors.
Southwest said it will continue flights to Dulles.

AirTran said it was eliminating the five airports from its map to match service with customer demand and make room for "future opportunities" without adding planes.

The changes will be included in AirTran's next flight schedule, which is expected to be released on Sunday.
Later this month, AirTran is scheduled to halt service to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Southwest operates a heavy schedule of flights from nearby Dallas Love Field.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So gl/oy6. Are u saying Swa is no longer going to serve IAD?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

WN will continue to serve IAD. My prediction is that the schedule will be drawn down to accommodate the addition of the 800. Remember Laura Wright said that ASMs are going to be flat to slightly negative for the 2012 at the investor conf. More seats on the 800 mean less airplanes.
She said it again in this ATW interview last week.

http://atwonline.com/article/article/q-southwest-airlines-cfo-laura-wright-1109

Last edited:
we don't have rj's to give mainline trips too, like delta, so if we don't make money we cut 'em.

So gl/oy6. Are u saying Swa is no longer going to serve IAD?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I don't think Lee said anything but the title. What did it say in the article? Only Airtran, not SWA, is leaving IAD. I think he did underline some stuff, though.

Godspeed!

OYS

we don't have rj's to give mainline trips too, like delta, so if we don't make money we cut 'em.

With the last quarterly loss due to your lack of hedging compared to others, you may have to get rid of more cities or maybe planes. You just don't have those famous hedges anymore that caused so much havoc for everyone else. Bummer. At least you still have your culture......uh, wait...

Godspeed!

OYS

With the last quarterly loss due to your lack of hedging compared to others, you may have to get rid of more cities or maybe planes. You just don't have those famous hedges anymore that caused so much havoc for everyone else. Bummer. At least you still have your culture......uh, wait...

Godspeed!

OYS

OYS actually our "loss" was due to mark to market on our hedges. I don't care that you bash on SWA but at least be accurate please.

Latest resources

Back