• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Cuts Growth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not saying "I have it made" or I would have typed that. I'm saying that if da Tranny defers some airplanes, I'm sure boeing will find a new home for them. Since our management says "they are looking all over the World for 737-700s".

You think boeing will just build the planes and park them? You think they will layoff workers? I think they will call their customers (SWA is one of them) and say "we can get you some of your airplanes quicker then we thought, you want em?" YES!!!

I don't care about AA, UAL, DAL, NWA or CAL. They can laugh all they want at me and Southwest Airlines. They have their own issues, they don't need to worry about us.

:pimp:

The difference between AAI and Jblue is that AAI is starting to slow before they lost millions of dollars.. Jblue needed the big lose to open there eyes about expanding to rapidly.. AAI's decision comes after the company made 32 million last quarter and it seems they are just adjusting growth as to be able to continue being profitable.. Not to bash either one, but on this one. I have to aplaud AAI for seing that there expansion plans may have been a bit overzelous before they starting losing tons of money...

All the article said was slowing from a predicted revenue growth of the "high single digits" to the "low single digits". Thats doesnt sound like much. Im sure they are just thinking ahead. I hope they are, thats their job :)

I haven't seen anything so overblown since everyone was wetting their pants about Katie Couric reading from a teleprompter...

RV

SWA/FO said:
I'm not saying "I have it made" or I would have typed that. I'm saying that if da Tranny defers some airplanes, I'm sure boeing will find a new home for them. Since our management says "they are looking all over the World for 737-700s".

You think boeing will just build the planes and park them? You think they will layoff workers? I think they will call their customers (SWA is one of them) and say "we can get you some of your airplanes quicker then we thought, you want em?" YES!!!

I don't care about AA, UAL, DAL, NWA or CAL. They can laugh all they want at me and Southwest Airlines. They have their own issues, they don't need to worry about us.

:pimp:

WOW !!! Chill. Seems like you get a little spun up when you think some one steps on your toes.

It's obvious what I said went right over your head. In the 90's there were some guys at other airlines with the same attitude toward SWA that you seems to have now. Now the tables have turned.

I figured you were just stirring the pot when ever you put your comments on these threads, which I thought was pretty funny. But now, I'm pretty sure your not.

What does any of this have to do with Air Tran?

Peace, out

twepilot said:
I haven't seen anything so overblown since everyone was wetting their pants about Katie Couric reading from a teleprompter...

RV

Exactly..

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060908/airtran_mover.html?.v=1

"We haven't determined how many but it won't be a radical reduction," said Stan Gadek, AirTran chief financial officer, in an interview. "We'll still take a fair number of airplanes, but 19 is a lot of airplanes. We'll more closely match the number with the demand environment."

Sounds to me like they are thinking ahead. Playing it smart.

AF

Last edited:
twepilot said:

RV
no sh*t...

seriously, it's September... what did they EXPECT to happen to RASM? The same thing that ALWAYS happens to EVERY airline in the 3rd quarter?

ummm... DUHHHH...

Can you say "Negotiations tactic"?

They neglected to mention how MUCH they were going to slow expected deliveries. Also neglected to mention that "low single-digit" RASM when you're flying several MILLION miles each month is still a pretty healthy income.

Bottom line: they still won't be able to hide the profits, we'll still keep growing, and this will still be a cool place to hang your hat,,, for at least a while anyway, barring some unforeseen event (this is for the people who will come out to slam me for saying my airline is invincible - shmucks). ;)

Happy late Labor Day - I was laboring. :D

Did anyone beside me notice that the guat just posted on this thread? I haven't seen you around in a long time. How have you been?

box

boxjockey said:
Did anyone beside me notice that the guat just posted on this thread? I haven't seen you around in a long time. How have you been?

box

He had to switch user names again (freightnazi, furiously searching for alter-ego/passwords) cause his anonymity was compromised in the cargo section.

Not Really

mannyaplus11 said:
Funny, Airtran slows growth and it is a sign of Great Management. JetBlue slows growth and the sky is falling.
This isn't a slam on Airtran, this is directed solely to all the Einstein's on this board.

Slam away.

#1 Airtran has a longer established history as a succesful LCC than JetBlue, which gives them a pass based on famialirity/comfortability with they represent. Outside of that, Airtran appears to plan on slowing deliveries vs. the shell game of selling 'older' (not really) a/c and replacing them with the new deliveries. JetBlue's actions are s a short term cash flow move which would look smart if you were a furloughee, the former are strategic moves that affect revenue growth more than they do cash flow. If this situation were to continue for a longer period with Airtran, there could be of concern imo but that remains to be seen. JetBlue is under the microscope simply because they are the media magnet of the LCC's, and they have strayed from the original plan with mixed results so far. Like Kurtis says: 'These are the breaks'.

Latest resources

Back