Airtran Cuts Growth

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B6 Tech said:
To my knowledge, we have not sold any 320's. The origional 5 tail numbers we were told are still here, and there hasn't been any mention of any sale for a couple months now. My opinion, with the launch of our charter flying, they won't be going anywhere.

I'm fairly certain if they are not gone yet, they will be gone shortly. The last quarters conference call had some stuff on there about the sale of those airplanes although they did not disclose who was buying them because the deal was not yet "signed". I guess the deal could have never been signed and the airplanes may not go anywhere, crazier things have happned, but I'll bet they will be gone before the year is up.

Tail #'s 507, 508, 527, 528, 531. I took rides on 507 and 527 just last week, so I know they are still around. I know there was issues with the live tv install, and JAR issues. Don't know if those were resolved or not. Sorry for the thread hi-jack....

Last edited:
Maybe someone with some insight on how aircraft orders and deliveries work could put this into perspective. While AirTran is buying the airplanes from Boeing it would seem that the order itself could be bought or sold.

I would agree with one of the Southwest guys. None of the planes will be parked but there most likely is some incentive for AAI to give up the delivery slot.

A little FYI for all those hired within the last 5 years:

Last time the company made an announcement like this was just after 9/11, along with everyone else. They used the threat of furloughs to solicit concessions from the pilots. Two months later, management gave themselves huge bonuses. When the union threatened to go public with this info, they terminated the concessions early and put out a press release with their own positive spin.

Let's not fall for their tricks again. I don't believe a thing they say anymore.

-9Capt said:
A little FYI for all those hired within the last 5 years:

Last time the company made an announcement like this was just after 9/11, along with everyone else. They used the threat of furloughs to solicit concessions from the pilots. Two months later, management gave themselves huge bonuses. When the union threatened to go public with this info, they terminated the concessions early and put out a press release with their own positive spin.

Let's not fall for their tricks again. I don't believe a thing they say anymore.

Sounds like a great place to be working.

I believe a few months back the 'Tranny firmed up orders for the remaining 50 73's on option. That being said, I think those aircraft are airtrans to either take, sublet, or sell the options. They suggested doing that last year when demand was soft. It obviously turned out they didn't then and could very well have very little impact now. I doubt WN would take any, I'm sure they've got the best deal going on their own. The aircraft would most likely go to some third world operator that could not get as good a deal on their own. The Tranny might actually make a little coffee money on letting those deliveries go.
Whatever happens, you're dealing with ex-Eastern mgmt. so anything is possible.

Truck: Nothing like a well informed opinion.

Lear70 said:
The villainious schoolmaster speaks true.
Dude, it's "the Vilnius Schoolmaster". It's in Lithuania, which is where Ramius was from. I only bring it up because it has a lot to do with this discussion.

Hey Lear70:

Would you like to comment on your quote only a month ago??:

airTran definitely won't be "pulling a jetBlue", we're probably going to post profitable quarters and years for quite a while yet to come, no reason to defer deliveries, I think they'd ACCELERATE THEM if they thought operationally they could get away with it.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?p=1084372&highlight=pulling+a+jetblue#post1084372

You might want to read the thread again and think about how defensive you were when people questioned your arrogent comment.

Have a nice day.

Hair: Arrogant? Possibly. But more likely a realistic analysis from an opinionated pilot. Gee, those are hard to come by. Far easier to believe is that management is releasing BS information in an effort to gain leverage.
Note the words "probably" and "if" in his forecast.

Latest resources

Back