• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran cancelling classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thank all the NY d0uchbags for Hillary!!!!!

Only a Yankee would vote for a carpet bagger like her.

Don't blame all Democrats -- I'm voting for my favorite one ... John McCain!

Last summer, I had a 17 year Delta 767-300 International FO on my jumpseat. He said he could have been a very junior reserve MD-80 Captain in New York but didn't want it. 17 years seniority got him a decent quality of life, but only making about $9,000 a month. Our 10 year captain who left for Delta (who was living in base with 16+ days off a month) could easily pull $13,000 a month and even more if he wanted it (not including the $1400 a month to his "B" fund).

I am not sure I am following your logic but I think the $13,000 a month at 10 years is much better than $9,000 at 17 years for equivalent quality of life.

Folks have different bidding priorities. Some prefer flying international and being senior in their category, others are willing to give up some QOL for compensation. Everyone makes their own judgment. A 17 year DAL pilot can hold 767 ER Captain in NYC and make more than any Airtran pilot, obviously this guy preferred the QOL and trips he was getting as a senior 767ER F/O. To each his own.

I don't know what was on the mind of this 10 year Airtran pilot and most likely no one else here does either.

Perhaps his family is from SLC, perhaps his idea of a rewarding career involves international long haul flying, perhaps he saw that there is more upside long term potential at DAL, maybe he just wanted a change. Everyone is different.

Last edited:
A little over sensitive, don't you think? I wasn't attacking the guy, just saying that I think it's a mistake. I've said the same thing to a couple of copilots I know that made the same decision. I just don't think it's a wise move.

Does anyone else expect PCL to jump ship from AirTran and onto an international major once he decides that domestic flying no longer floats his boat and he wants to use his passport for something other than jumpseating?

My goal in life has been to be an international bunkie and doze for dollars. I don't care if a tranny cap'n makes more money than me; it ain't all about the money. I'd rather hardly work for a little less than work hard for a few extra bucks. That, and my ego doesn't revolve around a fourth stripe. Besides, I've already got more than 1000 bad landings in my logbook - how many more bad landings does one need? :p

Is Air Tran reducing flights??
No.

If so how many A/C are they parking??
None.

They're actually still growing. Taking deliveries of several more aircraft this year. Just not as many as previously planned.

That, along with slowing attrition because the other majors stopped hiring, means we don't need as many new-hires as previously planned.

Latest resources

Back