• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran cancelling classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What is the reason the NPA has not taken up the cause financially of D.L. and Lear to send a message to the MANY weak sisters out there who lack the cajones to take a more active role in getting the company's attention for fear of being held hostage like those two are?
I don't believe that giving us money directly is actually allowed... not just from the bylaws, but from other perspectives as well.

That said, I don't want a free lunch, and working in the NPA offices, while never offered, is something that I wouldn't want to do either. Would still be gone from home about as much as I am now and would likely be making less than I am now, too.

The NPA has helped quite a bit with finding an attorney for my worker's compensation case that won't cost me anything out of pocket, and is fighting the grievance actively. The only thing they haven't done is offered to pay for a top-notch wrongful-termination lawsuit attorney (therefore I've been working on that on my own).

My only gripe is that the NPA hasn't been more vocal with the pilot group about it, getting people riled up and ready to kick a*s when it's time. Many pilots don't even know that DL and I have been taken hostage...

Best thing you can do for us is spread the word... the more people riled up about it, the better. Get them on the NPA board, try to get them to stay engaged, and maybe we'll all fare better in the end!

Not so fast there Lear, recurrent lunch last week you guys were one of the topics brought up. There's alot to be done by this new BOD and that's on the list. Sounds like things will happen.

As for unity, The Prez says that those who took the on-line survey are unified. Lots of the same concerns by those who commented.

That's great to hear, Catfish, I appreciate it. A lot of times we don't hear everything that happens real-time, which is why I've remained supportive of the NPA even before I knew how well they were going to get behind us.

I was also wrong about getting compensation from the NPA. Flight Pay Loss is evidently available if the BoD authorizes it, since the company is obviously retaliating for the work I did trying to rally the pilots to reject the T.A.

Haven't fully explored it yet, will see what I can find out.

Thanks again for everyone's support!

I know the 10 year guy we are talking about very well. I just spent some time at his beautiful house on Lake Travis in Austin a day ago riding mountain bikes. The house is for sale. He has absolutely no regrets about his decision. He is studying for his oral etc. as we speak and looks forward to moving into the downtown Austin area to live in much smaller digs for a couple of years. It was never about the money for him(sure he enjoys the good things in life). He has always commuted from Austin but owned a house in ATL for years. I tried to get him an interview at Continental but they dragged their feet and Delta won a good guy from us. I'm not going to put words in his mouth without permission but it was a combination of many things that prompted him to leave AirTran. His exchange with the two chief pilots on his way out was very cordial and both actually wished him the best in his endavours. Very classy I thought. When I left AirTran in 2005, they were a bit upset about so many people cutting out of class etc. for FEDEX that I was worried about turning in my 2 weeks notice. They were cordial to me as well. I think YL will do just fine at Delta. I don't see them furloughing at all with all the new widebodies arriving over the next few years. What do I know though? Just wanted to correct some misstatements about the guy in question. AirTran is a good airline. Some people just want more. To bad mouth them as being "stupid" for leaving is showing your ignorance. I know I'd rather be unemployed than to have never chased my career goal. Easier for some to do than others given family situation, other incomes etc.

IAHERJ

If money and job security were the only parameters, we would all have an applicaion on file with FEDEX.
He took a chance granted, which may pay off....or not.

Katfish is right,LEAR;questions about your situation come up all the time.even people who desagree with your action,are honest enough to recognize that the company was wrong.
Hope to see you on property some day.

If money and job security were the only parameters, we would all have an applicaion on file with FEDEX.
He took a chance granted, which may pay off....or not.

And "paying off" to you means what? To him it means flying the 767(which is what he is on) all over the world. He, and I for that matter, would rather do that from the right seat for a career than remain at AirTran. That probably doesn't make sense to you. That's okay with me. Flying for a legacy in the right seat is a lot different in so many ways than flying the right seat at AirTran. I'm not even talking about the pay.
"Paying off" to you it seems is all about money. Nothing wrong with that. In fact most people measure their careers by their monthly paycheck. It's like my buddy who is a broker for Merril Lynch. He could be making a bit more money short term by working for that strip center brokerage firm we see all over the country. He is much more happy being a part of a much larger, well known brokerage firm with all the perks that go along with working there even though he knows that he could be thrown out on the street at any time being such a short timer there. It is a gamble most people who strive to attain such a lofty goal make to move forward. Some people are content to make due with his/her current situation. Judging one either way is not for you nor I to do.

IAHERJ

You're right, it doesn't make sense to me. Nothing more than "shiny wide-bodied jet syndrome." An airplane is an airplane. If it paid $300k and gave me 25 days off a month, I'd fly an RJ for the rest of my career. The people that salivate over flying a 767 just don't make sense to me. It's just an airplane, people. What matters is the time you spend at home, not the time you spend in an aluminum tube.

Katfish is right,LEAR;questions about your situation come up all the time.even people who desagree with your action,are honest enough to recognize that the company was wrong.
Hope to see you on property some day.
That's good to know, I appreciate it.

There's about a dozen guys I stay in contact with but, not being around, I never hear how everyone else is reacting and from a thread on one of the other boards, was hearing that a lot of guys don't have any clue that DL and I were taken hostage.

Everyone may not agree, and I understand that, but I'm glad they realize the company can't be allowed to get away with everything they've done recently, including all the contract reinterpretations that basically steal money and time from the pilots.

It's just not right, and I'm glad to hear the NPA is spreading the word (we don't hear much about that either except from you guys).

Fly Safe!

p.s. YL is a very intelligent person. I'm sure he knows it's a gamble, but I'm sure he's doing what he thinks is best and he's in a family/money situation to do it. Best of luck to him! :)

Latest resources

Back