• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran cancelling classes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
... They're actually still growing. Taking deliveries of several more aircraft this year. Just not as many as previously planned.

That, along with slowing attrition because the other majors stopped hiring, means we don't need as many new-hires as previously planned.
You forgot to mention the age 65 rule. I'd imagine people simply not retiring is much more detrimental to hiring than the lack of attrition to the majors…

Last edited:
Yeah, there's that too, although as airlines go, last time I looked, there weren't that many slated to retire at age 60 over the next 5-10 years at airTran; we were one of the least affected by the change.

There's probably more than one of those who planned accordingly and would like to bail early... it's not that significant. Unless, of course, you're right on the cusp of upgrading and don't for an extra 6 months because of one of those age 60+ folks.

You forgot to mention the age 65 rule. I'd imagine people simply not retiring is much more detrimental to hiring than the lack of attrition to the majors…

Actually, we were going to lose less than 15 pilots to retirement in 2008. Our attrition rate has been running about 100-150 a year. So the slowing of attrition (due to legacy's reduction in hiring) is actually a bigger cause in the reduction of Airtran's need for newhires.

No use hiring and upgrading alot of guys in the summer that will become line qualified around labor day. If fuel prices stay where they are today, I am sure our fall schedule reduction (ie SEP-OCT total block hours) will be significant just like our schedule reduction for the first 6 weeks of 2008.

Last edited:
from 20% growth.....to this.

guess that's what happens when you grow twice as much as the next closest guy, who also happens to be growing too much too.

A little over sensitive, don't you think? I wasn't attacking the guy, just saying that I think it's a mistake. I've said the same thing to a couple of copilots I know that made the same decision. I just don't think it's a wise move.

why do you even care? it's his life & you moved up.

Does anyone else expect PCL to jump ship from AirTran and onto an international major once he decides that domestic flying no longer floats his boat and he wants to use his passport for something other than jumpseating?
Not a very good bet, Andy.

They must really have issues to want to stay 5 more years instead of spending that time with the 6th wife :rolleyes:. Freaking Pitiful
FLY TILL YOU DIE!! sounds nice :puke:

from 20% growth.....to this.

guess that's what happens when you grow twice as much as the next closest guy, who also happens to be growing too much too.

I think we are still going to do 6-8% ASM growth this year. Still not bad considering the business environment out there. Our management are not idiots when it comes to making a buck (which is what they are paid to do). We have been adding 10 airplanes a year profitably for the last 8 years. This is just a little tweak in the plan to ensure 2008 is our 9th profitable year in a row.

why do you even care? it's his life & you moved up.

That's right, I tell everyone senior to me at ATran that flying big jets is the best job ever!! Delta is hiring, go go GO!! WHILE SUPPLLIES LAST, CALL NOW AND RECEIVE A FREE DELTA HAT AND BOOK ON HOW TO ASK FOR WIND CHECKS...

sorry, off my meds

TC

That's right, I tell everyone senior to me at ATran that flying big jets is the best job ever!! Delta is hiring, go go GO!! WHILE SUPPLLIES LAST, CALL NOW AND RECEIVE A FREE DELTA HAT AND BOOK ON HOW TO ASK FOR WIND CHECKS...

sorry, off my meds

TC
Thats funny I do same. Run dont walk you dont want to miss the boat.:laugh:

Latest resources

Back