• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran BOD recommends a No Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why can't they be placed in point to point service? SWA seems to do just fine with that type of thing.

Heyas,

Good question. The short answer is that there are only so many "points" that provide a reasonable yield, and those points that are uncontested are becoming few and far between. A lot of the "low hanging fruit" has already been picked. It's going to be a bare knuckle fight for the rest.

I'd say probably only the top 75 markets in the country can support some form of p-t-p flying, if that. Once you deduct the "points" that already have a hub, or city-pairs that make up that hub, you've really whittled the number down.

The city-pairs that remain can only support a certain level of service. Sure you can muscle in, but you will face SWA or a leaned down legacy in the process, making it that much harder.

Despite what some people say, SWA does run hub-type operations, although their aircraft may not simply do turnarounds. Anyone that's seen DAL or MDW could tell you that.

AirTran NEEDS the MEH deal to keep the growth ball rolling, and I think the boys at MEH know it. If they get hung up, they'll have to find somewhere else to put next year's jets, and those options are slim.

Nu

I second what Eagle757Shark sez. The whole conspiracy theory thing was getting way out of hand.
Agreed.

Can they whipsaw us? Sure. Is it likely? Probably not.

They're going to HAVE to merge the two operations. Yes, that opinion was verified by Seth Rosen. The question is WHEN do they have to do that?

The answer is: there is no set time frame. They *could* drag their feet after the acquisition is complete and merge just the reservation centers and corporate structure and leave the operation side separate while Midwest pilots get trained on the new aircraft.

The question is: does it REALLY benefit them to do that? To risk the ire of the pilot group here by whipsawing us just to hold a stick over our head?

I don't think so and, even if they did, you're talking 18-24 months to force a single carrier petition through and the integration of the work force.

I believe the risk is VERY minimal, and I'd rather take that small risk than take this P.O.S. T.A.

Not to mention we don't even KNOW if we're GOING to get Midwest. The NWA offer to purchase and be a "silent partner" might look pretty tempting to the "save the cookie" crowd. Question is, will the shareholders and BoD buy off on it...?

Last edited:
AA announced they were "acquiring" TWA back in April '01 i believe and when I was furloughed in February of '02 I wasn't even close to being on the AA certificate. Integration of 2 air carrier certificates is a long process. When is the last time the FAA did anything in an expeditious manner?

Got my voting guide today, but no "non-TA" company proposed CBA. A no vote is forthcoming but I would like to see the proposed CBA.

I do not really care what the recommendation may be. They have no credibility after trying with all of their might to sell it when it first came out. Now they tweak a few things and come back with a no recommendation? They will get more than a no vote. They get a no confidence vote. They have violated the trust of the pilot group and they will get recalled. I would like to see the NPA provide all potential candidates room on the web site to post their campaign proposals. I would like to be able to read a bit more about each person to gain a better understanding to make an informed decision. Whomever steps into the position I would recommend a complete audit of the books with the results posted for all to see. What did our dues get us for the last couple of years? Pack your trash boys and review those limitations... you will be back on the line in a bit...Looking forward to seeing the pilot group gain unity through this bit of uncertainty. We must remain committed to each other. Protect our flying. Protect our careers. Protect our future. We have a great pilot group that is highly motivated at this time. RM (lear) has done a wonderful job of educating the pilot group and we owe him a huge debt of gratitude. That sort of education needs to continue to maintain the motivation. Future leaders of the NPA, this pilot group needs LEADERS, not some suits pretending to know what they are doing. Remember that you are a pilot. Fly the line. Hire in the professionals to do the negotiations with a steering committee. Return emails and phone callls. Be available and accountable and don't waste my money.

Professional in this business don't work. Many of them just don't understand our work rules and some pilots are quite savvy and can do a much better job because they have a vested interests and passion to boot. Very few mediated contract negotiations have ever had pros.

Why can't they be placed in point to point service? SWA seems to do just fine with that type of thing.

Because AirTran's business model is not based off Southwest's. Southwest system is based on a point to point network throughout their system. AirTran even though we have some point to point markets, is modeled mainly on a hub and spoke network. To attempt to further point to point, particularly on the east coast, would endanger your hub flying out of Atlanta. We saw some of that in the 3rd and 4th quarters of last year with the reduction of our load factors. Read the financials, it is all there. It is critical that AirTran have a new hub and soon. They have to commit to those aircraft orders really soon.

Latest resources

Back