• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran BOD recommends a No Vote!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Professional in this business don't work. Many of them just don't understand our work rules and some pilots are quite savvy and can do a much better job because they have a vested interests and passion to boot. Very few mediated contract negotiations have ever had pros.
And that's gotten us, collectively as professional pilots, exactly WHERE in the last half decade?

OK, that was a *little* bit of a cheap shot, and I'm not trying to bash on you, buddy... 9/11 and management greed had MUCH to do with where we are today but, in all seriousness, any pilot who doesn't have an MBA in business and extensive litigation/negotiation EXPERIENCE, not just "training", isn't going to last long against Kolski.

I've been there. I've seen it. Some of the pilots on our side of the table were very intelligent people, just ZERO litigation/negotiation credentials and they got served. Period.

The next leadership group must recognize that the *front-line* negotiator on our side of the table needs to be a PROFESSIONAL who is experienced enough to beat Kolski at his own game, shut him down as required, and not lose the battle in small increments, which is what appears happened to the current NC and Pres. Pilots need to be there for direction and consultation, but the company uses Kolski as a foil; we need one of our own.

"Smart" alone just isn't going to cut it.

Why do we allow these negotiations to take so long?

I have a question, since I'm new to the airline business. Why do pilot unions allow these negotiations to drag out for such a long time? It seems like if a deadline arises and a new contract is due and its crap, well doesn't that just bide more time and money for management? Basically, what is the incentive for an airlines management to put out a good first draft of a new good contract? That just means they will have higher costs faster. It sounds to me that these concessionary contracts to ream pilots sound like they are fast tracked whereas the contracts which allow for better QOL and pay seem to take quite a long time and multiple iterations...

I'm new to this industry though, so maybe someone can edumicate me.

I have a question, since I'm new to the airline business. Why do pilot unions allow these negotiations to drag out for such a long time?
We don't "allow" them to do anything... The RLA and the Federal Government do.

It seems like if a deadline arises and a new contract is due and its crap, well doesn't that just bide more time and money for management?
Yes.

Basically, what is the incentive for an airlines management to put out a good first draft of a new good contract?
There's not one.

That just means they will have higher costs faster.
Correct.

It sounds to me that these concessionary contracts to ream pilots sound like they are fast tracked whereas the contracts which allow for better QOL and pay seem to take quite a long time and multiple iterations...
Correct again.

I'm new to this industry though, so maybe someone can edumicate me.
Welcome.

The problem exists on several levels. The airline CEO's pay lobbyists an obscene amount of money to ensure that the pilots (or any organized labor for that matter) don't get anything done for their benefit in any kind of hurry.

This is why the RLA has no teeth. There's no method to force compliance when the company violates the contract. There's no method to force the company to negotiate in good faith.

You can get a mediator... who is appointed by the National Mediation Board and, oh wait, WHO runs the NMB? Oh yeah, they're appointed... by who? 3 guesses, first 2 don't count.

There ARE NO LABOR-FRIENDLY government officials. We (the airlines) exist to get people from Point A to Point B as cheaply and efficiently as possible. Raising our salaries even to adjust for 1960's-era inflation would hike ticket prices and the public would scream bloody murder.

Our ONLY legal tool is work action and it takes YEARS to get there. Thanks to who? Oh yeah, that NMB thing again...

The whole process is broken; has been for some time. Deregulation succeeded in getting cheap tickets for everyone, at the expense of the workers, which WASN'T what MOST people had in mind when it passed.

Our job, at this point, is to get all the pilots educated that our ONLY tool to force a good contract into place is ACTION, then motivate them to ACT in a legal yet effective way, first with informational picketing... messy... public... painful... then, once we have the majority of the pilots on board, we start pushing for release into self-help.

It's going to come to that, or we're going to get another concessionary T.A. People who think it's going to come out any different need a wake-up call. I don't like it, but that's where we're at; never thought I'd say that about this company... :(

Any rumors on Airtrans side about a merger with Frontier.
I imagine if the Midwest deal falls through, that is all you will hear about. AirTran has a lot of airplanes coming next year and no place to put them. You can bet that everyone will be speculating about AirTran and Frontier if the Midwest deal goes away. Look at the route networks, it would make sense. I don't know about the buses though and how that would fit into the plan. 9am Monday morning will shed more light on what will happen.

Latest resources

Back