Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Airways pilots launch ALPA ballot drive!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez if ALPO's so great why didn't it get voted in the first place?

Half the posts say the NPA's is useless, so might as well go with ALPA.

The other half just say ALPO sucks.

Is it fun being the No.1 cheerleader of a really expensive glossy magazine?

Rez if ALPO's so great why didn't it get voted in the first place?

There are/were many Eastern pilots, strikers, scabs and a few super scabs at FL (and valuejet). Their bitterness from the Lorenzo carnage still exists...

Many of them despise ALPA. While ALPA could've done better (in new territory) I find it interesting that pilots will hate ALPA but never mention Lorenzo.

Why did CAL and FX leave ALPA then come back?

Half the posts say the NPA's is useless, so might as well go with ALPA.

The other half just say ALPO sucks.

And what do you say? And why?

Is it fun being the No.1 cheerleader of a really expensive glossy magazine?

Immature insult.... in addition to your contant use of the term alpo.

I don't think ALPA is all things wonderful. I've stated before, because ALPA is comprised of people it will have good points and bad, just like companies, gov't and church.

Not sure why you really hate ALPA. Do you know why? What has ALPA ever done to you? As a OO pilot it would seem there isn't much ALPA could do to you to effect your career negatively... so why the hate?

Last edited:
Remember how you got hired at Airtran.... you networked and politiced your buddies who were already in the inside to get the interview. Once you had the interview you closed the deal with recommendation letters and got the job... all politics...

This is no different... get connected... get a good contract!

Another ASSumption coming from Rez. Why am I not surprised? Not only do I not work for AirTran, I didn't even have a single contact when I applied and interviewed at my current job. Sometimes it is possible to make it based on merit and not politics.

Another ASSumption coming from Rez. Why am I not surprised? Not only do I not work for AirTran, I didn't even have a single contact when I applied and interviewed at my current job. Sometimes it is possible to make it based on merit and not politics.

Please reply to my question:

What did you expect a labor lawyer to do during the BK era with an anti labor Admin in office...

Look at it this way....

In Canada, the gov't told UAL that Canadian employee pensions were untouchable. Those pension are still intact.

In the USA, the Bush Admin allowed UAL to gut American worker pensions.....

So what did you want this lawyer to do?

The rest of my post was for any FL pilot reading this thread... but what is wrong with networking and politics. I too got my last job on merit. I did have one LOR.... but you think networking and polticking is bad?

It can be or not, depending on how it's done. Usually there's nothing wrong with it, just pointing out how you love to generalize and assume. We get it Rez.

Our lawyer sucked, pure and simple. Read the Comair 1113c hearing if you don't believe me. Has nothing to do with who is or was sitting in the white house. My guess is you haven't read it, for there really is no defending the guy. Reading the transcript, I was embarassed that he was the best our union could put up against management. End result - Comair got the freedom to throw out the pilot contract. End of any leverage for the pilots, thanks ALPA. How did you guys at United do over the last seven years?

There are/were many Eastern pilots, strikers, scabs and a few super scabs at FL (and valuejet). Their bitterness from the Lorenzo carnage still exists...

Many of them despise ALPA. While ALPA could've done better (in new territory) I find it interesting that pilots will hate ALPA but never mention Lorenzo.

I don't think Lorenzo did anything extrodinanry other than exploit an obvious weakness in organized labor under the RLA threshold.

Why did CAL and FX leave ALPA then come back?

Like NPA, the in house sucked slightly more than ALPA (happy), plus all the meet and greets pushed the mindless over the fence.

And what do you say? And why?

Immature insult.... in addition to your contant use of the term alpo.

I don't think ALPA is all things wonderful. I've stated before, because ALPA is comprised of people it will have good points and bad, just like companies, gov't and church.

Not sure why you really hate ALPA. Do you know why? What has ALPA ever done to you? As a OO pilot it would seem there isn't much ALPA could do to you to effect your career negatively... so why the hate?

To me ALPA comes across as this lugging dinosaur in orthodics shuffling up the hall of the senior center with it's Commodore 64 in hand screaming "it's here to save 1978". It's simply grown into this lathergic economic beast that's too afraid to be a real union, it's become more of a corporation that like General Motors that has minions like yourself defending the CEO (prator) recieving disgusting compensation packages and past presidents getting golden parachutes ie; lifetime pensions (Worthless).

I believe that ALPA's presence has become an overall drag on the economics of the airline industy that financial experts have been availed to cut it off at the knees, and are much brighter than anybody that ALPA can research with a community college sub-committe. Again it's a corporation, what does ALPA have to lose, it's just a (fill in the name) pilot group, against the overall big picture pilot group.

And yes, in my 24 years of line flying I have been burned by ALPA. OO is the one of many airlines I've worked at.

Last edited:
What?:confused: Give me the bong bro!

Sorry, but that's just a fact. Pretty much every non-legacy carrier in ALPA receives more money from ALPA than they pay in. The legacy carriers subsidize the other carriers with their extra dues revenue.

To me ALPA comes across as this lugging dinosaur in orthodics shuffling up the hall of the senior center with it's Commodore 64 in hand screaming "it's here to save 1978". It's simply grown into this lathergic economic beast that's too afraid to be a real union, it's become more of a corporation that like General Motors that has minions like yourself defending the CEO (prator) recieving disgusting compensation packages and past presidents getting golden parachutes ie; lifetime pensions (Worthless).

I believe that ALPA's presence has become an overall drag on the economics of the airline industy that financial experts have been availed to cut it off at the knees, and are much brighter than anybody that ALPA can research with a community college sub-committe. Again it's a corporation, what does ALPA have to lose, it's just a (fill in the name) pilot group, against the overall big picture pilot group.

And yes, in my 24 years of line flying I have been burned by ALPA. OO is the one of many airlines I've worked at.

So let me ask you this, so basically what your saying is we shouldnt have any unions at all? From your description of how ALPA has treated you and others is basically the same description I hear from people who are represented by Teamsters and Airtrans in house union NPA. No union is perfect we have all agreed on it many times over again. Its that Airtran Airways pilots are looking more from their union, something that NPA cant provide. Also even say that ALPA will be the exactly same as NPA in terms of negotiations. We still as a pilot group will recieve more benefits from ALPA then NPA has to offer such as aero-medical, loss of lic. and disability options.

First, no ALPA pilot group sends 70% to national. In fact, your airline receives far more money from ALPA than you pay in. In any case, even with our ridiculously high dues rate, we still don't produce enough dues revenue to hire full-time attorneys that have extensive experience in labor law.

Um, how do all the airlines receive more money from ALPA then they put in?

Secondly, we have plenty of cash to pay for lawyers, but the BOD doesn't have the will/desire/stomach/courage/whatever to go out and do it.

ALPA may be a choice, but it is not the panacea that the D&D pinnacle crowd is professing it to be.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!! Last year everyone thought MB was the sent from above to rescue us from the evil empire. How is that turning out?

Latest resources

Back