• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airnet Upgrade Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ready to fly, I think you would look good walking through the terminal wearing your cute little outfit, flying your nice shiny jet. Heck it would be a safe bet for your type (500TT all knowing), with all that gee-whiz gadgets, bells and whistle you can't hurt yourself or others. But if you want to come out and fly at night with big boys, which you probably won't cut it anyways. You will either scare yourself or kill yourself, unless you smart'n up and learn to really fly.

I have flew night freight and now fly for a regional and I can tell you from my experience that the quality of life is so much better at the regional. Sure, flying freight I learned a lot but I would rather fly to different destinations with a different crews and having more situational awerness using glass than being home every night (I mean morning). What good is it flying a baron/lear to the same places night after night after night with the same crew?

Now, to answer the original question, upgrade at airnet to SIC LEAR is 1 year and then who knows. However, Airnet is a sinking ship so I would stay away, also, the chief pilot is weird as hell.

uscpilot said:
Airlines are intrested in PIC Turbine, not PIC FMS/Autopilot. By and large they dont care if you flew guages or EFIS. They want someone who has made and will continue to make good decisions while in charge of a large turbine powered aircraft.
WDR11

Holy crap, how did they overlook me???:laugh: :laugh: Maybe i forgot to mention all the things i did as a captain...hmmm...maybe i should be quiet now, they may be watching.:laugh:

Tigerdriver...that was classic "close your eyes and scream like hell"...heaven knows how many times that saved my butt...by the time you are done screaming it is all over and you forgot what you even went through...or maybe it was the screams of sheer terror from my co-pilot as i missed the hole and went right through the t-storm...:D

veneratio said:
I have flew night freight and now fly for a regional and I can tell you from my experience that the quality of life is so much better at the regional. Sure, flying freight I learned a lot but I would rather fly to different destinations with a different crews and having more situational awerness using glass than being home every night (I mean morning). What good is it flying a baron/lear to the same places night after night after night with the same crew?

Now, to answer the original question, upgrade at airnet to SIC LEAR is 1 year and then who knows. However, Airnet is a sinking ship so I would stay away, also, the chief pilot is weird as hell.

What good is it banging fat old flight attendants, night after night. Ya ever notice that freighters dont say crap about others, but guys in the regionals are always hot to trot about how much better they are than every one else? The whole security thing. Have fun with that monkey suit, and the penalty box at ohare. Oh yea, how did that pay cut treat ya.

veneratio said:

1.)situational awareness isnt just a function of how fancy your cockpit is. a good pilot can take an airplane with a basic IFR package and have great SA.

2.)flyin a lear /baron around all night has gotta be at least half as good as flyin an RJ around on autopilot all day and throwin the gear handle around:rolleyes:

3.)how is airnet a sinking ship?? because were losing some check business? At least the pilots here keep there jobs when sh!t hits the fan

plus we get to wear jeans:laugh:

veneratio said:
Now, to answer the original question, However, Airnet is a sinking ship so I would stay away, also, the chief pilot is weird as hell.
I partially agree. They do not seem to be making the transition to express work quick enough. I am not sure that there is much desire to do so. I am very bothered by this.
Oh yeah, Quinn is a goof ball.
WDR11

Eirly post said a FMS is a fancy GPS. Not all FMS’ equipped airplanes have GPS. Some airlines fly old sh!# too ie 737-200, 727, DC-9, & MD-80. Fly freight or people doesn’t make you better than others. What you take from that experience makes you better. I’ve done both a good mix of experience, and I know guys that have done one or both but (at least at this point) don’t seem like they should have been given a certificate much less a job. Just fly something turbine and shut up. (Good CRM eh?)

shiney jet guys DO have there own forum!!!

You know, if you don't wanna fly cargo then don't.... but don't come on this forum and start mouthing off like you know what you are talking about after all of 450 hours.... The regional forum is full of people like you to share your views with. Now, I know I don't know everything, but I know enough not to come in someone's house and act disrespectful..... I have my own uncertainties about the future of AirNet and the CEO does little to aleviate those.... But until the doors get locked I am going to deliver what they pay me to deliver.... As far as the flying goes, its single pilot IFR, you as PIC must be able to make decisions that lead to successfully completing your flight, preferrably on time.... if you can't operate like that then there are lots of other jobs.... Now, back to the beer and lamenting the woeful lack of hot girls in Elizabeth, NJ....

Props, an FMS is just a fancy GPS...it gets you from one point to another in a direct line using some form of navigation by computer. Now whether that be by 40 waypoints programmed into the thing or going direct from departure to destination city it doesn't matter, they do the EXACT same thing. Now you are right in saying that not all a/c have GPS...in fact many Airbus clients do not get the GPS installed with their deliveries, in which case the IRS's take over the primary means of navigation(i don't know how the others you mentioned come)...but our company believes that the added GPS integrity is the way to go, that way if the GPS fails you have the IRS's to rely on, and if the IRS's then fail you will have the VOR Triangulation to rely on, and if that fails you will have the hard VOR's to rely on...as you can see the addidtion of the GPS to the FMS system just adds another level of reliability to the a/c.

...And i'm still wondering about your soberness while typing the rest of the post...:erm: :confused:

PropsR4Boats said:
Eirly post said a FMS is a fancy GPS. Not all FMS’ equipped airplanes have GPS. Some airlines fly old sh!# too ie 737-200, 727, DC-9, & MD-80. Fly freight or people doesn’t make you better than others. What you take from that experience makes you better. I’ve done both a good mix of experience, and I know guys that have done one or both but (at least at this point) don’t seem like they should have been given a certificate much less a job. Just fly something turbine and shut up. (Good CRM eh?)

Latest resources

Back