Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aussiefly

Hey everyone,

Quick question. How long is the upgrade currently running at airnet. By upgrade I mean into the left seat of the lear. And what is captain pay like and how do you guys find the QOL of night freight flying.

Reason I ask is i'm looking at future options and don't really want to get stuck at a regional for 5 plus years. I think i'd much rather progress into a lear position and spend some time there before looking at other career options.

Any advice appreciated.

I think it is safe to say that it's about a 3 year upgrade to captain right now... figure year in the props, year and a half to two years as SIC, then capt....

Still sounds more fun than spending life at a regional

yup, and you'll be twice the pilot when its all said and done.

TigerDriver said:
Still sounds more fun than spending life at a regional

yup, and you'll be twice the pilot when its all said and done.

Are you saying that freight pilots are better that regional pilots? Last time I checked, most light freighters aren't equipped with EFIS, FMS, Autopilot. You know, the things in demand by the majors.

Ready2Fly said:
Are you saying that freight pilots are better that regional pilots? Last time I checked, most light freighters aren't equipped with EFIS, FMS, Autopilot. You know, the things in demand by the majors.

How do EFIS, FMS, and Autopilot make you a better pilot? It's just the opposite. Flying the first and last 5 minutes of each flight in an RJ doesn't do much for me. And yes, single-pilot IFR guys are better pilots than regional pilots...myself included. Pressing buttons on an FMS doesn't impress me.

I made the move from AirNet to the regionals...and my worst day in an RJ is way easier than any night at AirNet.

And don't worry about what the majors want...you have years before that's something you need to worry about.

I've seen some of your clapped out planes. None of them have anything in them like the regionals or the majors have in theirs. I'd rather fly something that's like what I'm going to use at my goal airline. PS, is it true that your dispatch makes you fly thru storms and known icing? I know the regionals don't do that.

Ready2Fly said:
I've seen some of your clapped out planes. None of them have anything in them like the regionals or the majors have in theirs. I'd rather fly something that's like what I'm going to use at my goal airline. PS, is it true that your dispatch makes you fly thru storms and known icing? I know the regionals don't do that.

I tried...:rolleyes:

Ready2Fly said:

flame...

No flame here. I've talked to guys that have flown night freight and have quit or been fired because they have refused to fly broken airplanes of fly thru storms or ice. Are you saying that airnet is different?

Latest resources

Back