• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airnet Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought the non-us citizen rule applied only to training in aircraft that are more than 12,500 lbs, which certainly doesn't apply to any of the props that Airnet flies, except perhaps the Caravan (can someone clarify this?) and most definitely the Lears (I know, it's a jet). I am a little surprised that Airnet would turn someone down for this reason, since he/she is not going to see a Lear for some time to come. And if Riddle Momma is right, by his own admission the recruiter said this non-citizen issue will be settled soon.

The freight company I fly for has a number of non-citizens on the payroll and continues to hire such pilots, as long as they have the legal means to work here. In our case, the largest plane we fly is a Cessna 402 and all training is done inhouse.

caravan max takeoff weight = 8750#

...maybe they dont want anyone not eligible to fly all the aircraft on their ticket???

Nice post Boiler. You are using your head, considering all factors, and getting the job done while being safe and legal. I'm sure your company must appreciate your level of thinking.

Some pilots have these religious convictions when it comes to regulations and safety issues. They draw these arbritrary boundaries to what they can do, and fail to take an objective look at all the information available. A conscientious decision should be made considering the circumstances with each indiviual situation. There are so many variables, a good pilot looks at all the factors, and makes sure they also have an out for any potential hazardous situation they may encounter.

Some may refuse to fly if freezing rain is on the ATIS, but it never occurs to them to look at the icing themselves, and make a decision as the Captain on what the conditions actually are. I know freight dogs who have doing this kind of work for 20 - 30 years with no incidents, accidents or violations, and they consistently find a way to get the job done. They use their head and keep management, customers, and the FAA all happy.

At the regional where I flew, the vast majority of pilots came directly from CFI jobs and never flew in any type of sognificant weather prior to being hired. Many of them had the perspective that 135 freight pilots were bunch of unprofessional clowns that were lucky to have lived through the job. I think that they were trying to justify their own lower level of experience by putting our profession down.

I have seen a few 121 pilots get antsy over weather that would not have even registered on the fear scale for someone with a lot of experience. Am I dissin' 121 pilots? Nope. I are one.

I had to laugh when pilots who never flew 135 would take a parental tone with me about how unsafe freight flying was.

Screw them, they were'nt there. Some people are more comfortable in a turboprop or RJ with two pilots and lots of support. Fine. But don't talk of whence you know not.

Doin' it freight-doggy style was the best! :D

Judging from the bravado, I doubt that any of you heroic pilots have ever actually flown in freezing rain. It might have been forecast or reported, but it probably was very, very light or didn't exist. You wouldn't be here making light of it if you had. A light twin in moderate freezing rain is minutes away from being a smoking hole. I followed a similar thread about flying in thunderstorms a few months ago. Same debate, a few aces purporting to speak for all freight pilots poo-pooed the danger. I've got a few years flying night freight, and its's not a very forgiving environment. I'd hate to see some inexperienced freight pilot taking any of this BS to heart and going out and killing himself. You can do it and maybe get away with it a few times. But, it'll bite you in the butt if it becomes a habit. Problem is, it might bite you in the butt the first time.

Hello,
I thought I'd post this for those interestd in reading it:

http://www.avweb.com/news/airman/181878-1.html

http://www.avweb.com/news/airman/181877-1.html

I have an opinion about icing that is based on the result of a Navy SH-60 that crashed in the mountains of Southern California after an encounter with icing, all aboard were killed.
Logically, I think that any flight/mission should be evaluated prior to launch. Careful consideration should be given to the limitations of self and machine. This is a moving target when viewed from one pilot to another, one machine to another. However, from a person that has "been there and done that" as a flight crewmember under some pretty hairy conditions. Demanding missions that require the maximum of both man and machine can be accomplished professionally and safely. The mark of a professional is knowing when that limit is reached and then having the fortitude to "raise the BS flag".

Regards and Fly Safely out there,

ex-Navy rotorhead

An exerpt from one of the Avweb articles:

"Icing from above (freezing rain) is a component of the natural selection process. Out west, those conditions occur perhaps a couple times a year. The pilots who fly in those conditions are eliminated from the aviator gene pool and you no longer have to avoid them while they are taking off from taxiways at uncontrolled airports."

Funny, but morbid and accurate.

"Suburban sold off its CE-402Bs and purchased known-icing certified Cessna Caravans to replace them. The Caravans lack some of the systems redundancy of the turbo-twins and are not as popular with the pilots (who are looking to build multi-engine time — not single-engine turboprop time). But Suburban can now launch when the conditions are safe, even if there is a blanket forecast for isolated severe icing covering 2-1/2 states."

I think some C208 drivers may have something to say about this(the last paragraph from "An Icing Encounter). I don't fly the C208, but I know a lot of guys who do. I think I'd rather be in a 402 even if it wasn't certified for "known icing."

Comments anyone?

First of all, the C208 can be a scary airplane in the ice. Ensure the airplane is "clean" prior to takeoff and have an out in icing conditions. Some people say it is a flying truck, well, in the winter it is a flying ice cube.

As far as freezing rain. I wasnt there so I suspect that there wasnt freezing rain, just a report on the ATIS of freezing rain. I will say that if you were to encounter MODERATE Freezing Rain on takeoff/climb to altitude in a beat up BE-58 then you would be screwed like a *hore in Thailand. I dont think any aircraft at Airnet are certified to fly in moderate freezing rain. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure management wouldn't be willing to take that risk. If it was just "light drizzle" then you should have said that.
In addition, someone mentioned holdover times. Being de-iced on the ground provides ZERO protection in the air. Holdover times are just a guide that dont even give you a time for moderate freezing rain(at least none that I have ever seen). I understand flying between thunderstorms and in all kinds of **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ty weather but freezing rain bites pilots in the ass every now and then. Just Be careful because it is your a** on the line along with your career and certificates.

Yes tdvalve, I have never flown in freezing rain. I was bluffing all along. Thanks for being the all-knowing.

I didn't hear much bravado. Some pilots are more skittish than others. What else is new?

Latest resources

Back