Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirNet: Do they still hire into the piston SIC program?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Safety at Airnet

Just a question about the safety at Airnet and how the record is for you guys the last 10 years? All the people I have spoken with say "watch out" for those light freighters because it can be horrible out and they say keep going. Just wondering what thoughts on that would be. Also someone on another thread quoted Airnet as getting ready for UPS, would anyone agree with a comment like that? A job such as airnet as a stepping stone to getting a good look from UPS in the future? Just wondering

Safety record, considering what we do and how much we do it, is pretty much impeccable. I don't have any numbers for you off the top of my head unfortunately, but I think we've had a total of 18 (I think) accidents in a 31 year history and 4 fatalities.

As for the notion of the Airnet powers that be shoving you out the door in horrible weather without a care, that's baloney. Granted, you are going to fly in cruddy weather with us, but you'll be very well trained in how to deal with it safely and smartly before you go out the door. And when those times do come up when it's just too nasty out there to fly safely, nobody will give you any guff for saying "no"

Seems like AirNet is a nice place to work, a schedule, a town I'm assigned to for more than a month, basically the stuff I'm missing from the aerial photography flying, plus I'm a bit of a night owl anyways. Money isn't a problem as long as I can pay the bills and have some fun now and then. Once I build a few more hours and I'm ready to leave LAI, AirNet is probably my next stop.

Couple more questions

Just curious about a few more things about Airnet. First of all would be any of your stories about the worse weather you have flown in and how comfortable you felt doing so? More so just a curiosity thing than anything.

Secondly I was wondering what a typical week is for you guys. Realizing the pay isnt great how many hours do you put in per week, what are your runs like, do you start and finsih the same place. Any input on your personal runs would be great, example of a schedule etc.

And lastly what is an upgrade like right now with AirNet? If one is to start with lower times in the SIC what are the TT needed to become the PIC and then to move up aircraft and eventually landing into a jet. And then how long does it "typically" take or has taken you (of course knowing this all changes all the time)? Also IND it sounds is a Junior base so what would the chances of getting a base such as IND? Of course again i know it might be impossible to answer that.

my head hurts.

as an sic, you would probably be in mem, teb, bdl, cps, or bhm. once you had 1200 you would get one of the runs that was available. IND isn't really a junior base since there is only 1 run.

every run is different. average if would say is 4 or 5 nights, with around 11 hours of duty and 5 hours of flying, say around 6 legs. averaging around 90-100 hrs a month. some runs are more, some are less. most runs at night, most have at least one quick turn a night, some legs heavy, other not. like i said, ever run is different.

upgrade time is hovering around a year, depends on what you are willing to take. in the last 30 days i've seen someone get a bid after 9months though, so strange things can happen. you'll need 1200TT for prop pic, 2000 for jet sic.

anyone like to add something?

After a about a year and half of instructing my career goals changed. I liked intructing, had a lot of fun, but it made me realize I didn't want to go right to a crew environment. I wanted to go out and fly on my own, have some fun and learn from having to make my own desicions. You do all of your own flight planing and weight and balance. You get training (pretty good training for 135 outfit), indoc and somebody will show you the ropes (IOE) and before you know it you are humming a long at night in a baron, all alone!

Boy did I get what I wanted!

When I came for my interview the one thing that sold me, is the way our company approaches maintanence. If it's broke it get's fixed! Simple, yes, but they stick too it!

Yes you will see a lot of weather and you probably will get your share of it, if you come here. I've had moments that made me nervous (In flight ice, T-storms, 1800 RVR 001 VV, more snow than I care for), but a fairly good portion of your training will attempt to prepare you for that. In the end, it's all on you buddy! Keep your head cool and make good desicions. It's been said above, but I'll repeat it: Our company WILL NOT force or pressure you to fly when you think it's not safe! They are going to want to talk to you about it when you make that call, but if you choose airnet, you'll see that it's more than reasonable.

I"ve been here a while now and I still get a little "giddy" after having been away for a few days. Off course there are always "issues", but AirNet is a good place to get exeperience and bulid time.

As far as getting hired by UPS (or most other companies), I firmly belive it doesn't matter that much what you have on your resume as long as it meets the minimus. It's all about who know!

NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK

meyers9163 said:
Just a question about the safety at Airnet and how the record is for you guys the last 10 years? All the people I have spoken with say "watch out" for those light freighters because it can be horrible out and they say keep going. Just wondering what thoughts on that would be. Also someone on another thread quoted Airnet as getting ready for UPS, would anyone agree with a comment like that? A job such as airnet as a stepping stone to getting a good look from UPS in the future? Just wondering

Worked for me!

The last guy that was hired into a airline, was going to Airtran. As far as I heard it wasn't easy for him getting there either.

The reason he had a hard time getting into Airtran was because of their all important 121 time requirement. Now i know they say they do not require it anymore to "apply", but from what i have heard, if you don't have their old requirements, or in his case a very hard pull from inside people, you have no shot at all. There are still others taking our peeps though, Jet Blue looks like it might have just picked up 2 of our guys.

You know what Purvis, I was just thinking about it after reading this thread again...you know how much crap you will take if you get furloughed from Skywest!!!!!! And to think, you probably would have been next to get a jet (whoops, meant to put PIC in there) spot by now...hmmmmmmmm........:D

Last edited:
Ya, I know. However, I've been enjoying my vacation here. I will have worked 7 days this month and payed the same as a prop pic first year at base salary. Next year, well that's a different story. It looks like our attrition is about 10 a month right now. I've moved up over 40 spots since hired. Just waiting to see what Delta does with the pilots and all. Most guys are optomistic that we will get some, if not all that flying back. So, we'll just have to wait and see. Anyways, if furloughed, looks like Netjets wouldn't be such a bad option.

USC328

Latest resources

Back