Airman closed until further notice..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MFRskyknight said:
Hmm... how does the "endorsement" fit into all this? As in, what changes with respect to logging/acting PIC after receiving the signoff?

MFR
After the endorsement you can act as PIC of a complex aircraft (definition omitted). Meaning, you can go solo...you can carry non-pilot(CFI) passengers, etc.

Say you know someone who owns a Malibu. But you don't have a high altitude, high performance, or complex endorsement. You go up under the hood and shoot 5 approaches.

1. Can you log the time as PIC? Yep. Now, he had to be PIC since he was the only one in the plane that could act as the PIC (proper endorsements). However, check out 61.51. You can log PIC any time you are sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft which you are rated or have privileges in. You're rated in a single engine land airplane (which a Malibu is). So it's good to go.

Look weird? Yeah...but 100% legal.

Difference between acting and logging my friend...kinda cool 'eh?

-mini

minitour said:
After the endorsement you can act as PIC of a complex aircraft (definition omitted). Meaning, you can go solo...you can carry non-pilot(CFI) passengers, etc.

Say you know someone who owns a Malibu. But you don't have a high altitude, high performance, or complex endorsement. You go up under the hood and shoot 5 approaches.

1. Can you log the time as PIC? Yep. Now, he had to be PIC since he was the only one in the plane that could act as the PIC (proper endorsements). However, check out 61.51. You can log PIC any time you are sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft which you are rated or have privileges in. You're rated in a single engine land airplane (which a Malibu is). So it's good to go.

Look weird? Yeah...but 100% legal.

Difference between acting and logging my friend...kinda cool 'eh?

-mini

Cool indeed...glad I caught this early on (only 4.5 hours in the RG) before I totaled up my logbook again. Thanks for clarifying. :)

MFR

MFRskyknight said:
Cool indeed...glad I caught this early on (only 4.5 hours in the RG) before I totaled up my logbook again. Thanks for clarifying. :)

MFR

You will run into a few people who are ignorant of this fact and will still disbute it, even when confronted with facts. No matter how hard i tried and no matter who we called, i couldn't convince this one CFI. For a legal reference, look at John Lynch's Part 61 FAQ, found on the FAA's website.

MFRskyknight said:
It's going... got a complex endorsement knocked out in the RG, which is something I wouldn't have done at Airman during the instrument course, so I can log PIC in that now. Thinking about heading to Addison or somewhere down near Dallas for the IFR cross-country. Unfortunately, this ain't coming cheap, so I'm on the bench for now while I drag in some more cash (working 14 hour days, stealing Cadillacs, etc). By next week their 152 should be up with a Garmin 430, so I'll stick around and learn some GPS approach stuff while I'm at it for a bit cheaper. Lucky for me I've only got about 5 hours or so till checkride, thought I could have aced it so many hours ago.

I hate Airman with all my guts.

MFR
good luck.

mattpilot said:
You will run into a few people who are ignorant of this fact and will still disbute it, even when confronted with facts. No matter how hard i tried and no matter who we called, i couldn't convince this one CFI. For a legal reference, look at John Lynch's Part 61 FAQ, found on the FAA's website.

Good to know. Thanks for pointing this out.

MFR

phantomdriver said:
Hello MFR. Where do you work at?

I got me a part-time gig delivery driving at a place called the Pita Pit in Norman. Guy who owns it is an airline pilot. Nice place to work, tips are okay.

MFR

Latest resources

Back