"Airline types need not apply"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

seen on a few online corporate openings. What gives? I don't think I've ever seen "corporate pilots need not apply" on airline apps.

Seems like airline types have a bad rap at corporate flight depts. Is it really that bad?

seen on a few online corporate openings. What gives? I don't think I've ever seen "corporate pilots need not apply" on airline apps.

Seems like airline types have a bad rap at corporate flight depts. Is it really that bad?

With some pilots, yes it's that bad.

On the other hand, some corporate departments thrive with a large number of former airline (regional, major, cargo) pilots in the ranks.

With some pilots, yes it's that bad.

agree 100%.

Then again - any outfit that even puts an online ad out there these days is likely pretty rock bottom.

99.99% of the real corporate ads you will see are HR fluff after the position has been filled, and they wont say dumb crap like that in them.

Sounds like their way of saying -- 2 pilots, low pay, 24/7 avail, and quick turnover.

Dont put much thought into it, its an ongoing, neverending argument in this business and does not have much bearing at all on how good jobs are landed.....(friends)

Good Luck.

Last edited:
What do they do that is so bad?

Get a $50k type on the company's dime then take their first recall to United, Continental, etc. Complain about how overworked they are, how they always get the crappy trips, got passed over for upgrade, etc. Refuse to stow the boss' luggage, get his car, spend xmas on the road, etc.

I flew for numerous airlines for 15 years and had to get a big break from a friend and make my bones for my company before I was able to scrape the "airline stink" off of me. Unfortunately, the small minority of ex-airline corporate pilots give the rest of us a bad name. Not fair, but that's the way it goes. I make damn sure that any of my airline relations I recommend for a position with my outfit will NOT screw the company (and me) over.

Get a $50k type on the company's dime then take their first recall to United, Continental, etc. Complain about how overworked they are, how they always get the crappy trips, got passed over for upgrade, etc. Refuse to stow the boss' luggage, get his car, spend xmas on the road, etc.

I flew for numerous airlines for 15 years and had to get a big break from a friend and make my bones for my company before I was able to scrape the "airline stink" off of me. Unfortunately, the small minority of ex-airline corporate pilots give the rest of us a bad name. Not fair, but that's the way it goes. I make damn sure that any of my airline relations I recommend for a position with my outfit will NOT screw the company (and me) over.

Regarding getting a type and then bailing - How is that different, from, say, a new hire at DAL that bails after a couple months and then goes to SWA or Fedex? Isn't that the cost of doing business? Yes it may be expensive but are you really going to stay at some employer just because you feel bad about the employer eating the cost? What if you're miserable and don't feel you got the right job?

Regarding the other complaints - I hear those same complaints every day at the airlines. Overworked - check. Xmas and holidays on the road - check. I guess I don't quite see how and why being a corporate pilot would be any different than a comparably paying airline job. Seems we complain about the same stuff.

Honestly, I'm just curious, not trying to start anything here. I appreciate the honest responses. I'm trying to think of any corporate pilots that came to the airlines and whether they had different attitudes than a straight 121 guy, and I can't seem to differentiate - in fact, the ones I know came to 121 simply because their 91/135 job was really THAT bad and the airlines where a much better deal. But I guess, if you land that REALLY GOOD 91/135 job, it beats the airlines any day. Thanks again for a good debate, I am very happy for those of you who bailed from 121 and scored a really good deal in the corporate world.

Last edited:
Regarding getting a type and then bailing - How is that different, from, say, a new hire at DAL that bails after a couple months and then goes to SWA or Fedex? Isn't that the cost of doing business? Yes it may be expensive but are you really going to stay at some employer just because you feel bad about the employer eating the cost? What if you're miserable and don't feel you got the right job?

Two different business models. The airlines are in business to transport people, cargo etc and try to make a profit doing it. A corporate department is just a unit of the business which I assure you is not in the passenger transportation arena. We are a cost center plain and simple. We cost the the company money. So many managers try to minimize their risk by hiring the right individual, whatever that may be.

Does that make sense what I just wrote? I just finished recurrent :)

I would beg to differ. A requirement for 121 PIC time or Military equivalent is the same thing.

For those who feel the cost of training issue is no different than changing airlines, I also disagree. We do not have thousands of pilots and in house training. A 100% increase in the training budget will almost guarantee the Chief Pilot a trip to corporate headquarters.

Latest resources

Back