Aircraft has slid off runway at MDW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ultrarunner said:
No, what I'm saying is that it's "likely" the previous two flight crews that landed immediately prior were given the same information the accident crew received.

Given that, would a reasonable person conclude the accident crew disregarded "substantial and unjustifiable risk" at the time they began the approach?

That could be the question. Or, it could be as simple as touching down halfway down the runway and they just ran out of room...in which case the 737 is exactly where it should be.

time will tell.
In any case, a homicide is defined by most state statutes as a death that was from unatural causes. From the moment of the childs death, this case became a homicide investigation.

You're right, maybe there won't be any charges...I'm just telling you about criminal process and the state law of illinois. To say what a prosecutor will or wont do is not for me. They may have a law in Illinois that says all homicides must at least go to a grand jury before they will "no bill".

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. However, criminal prosecution for negligent crimes, even those without obvious "intent" is all the rage.

I have done papers in college on "overcriminalization". Seems that people were asleep at the wheel when these negligence laws got passed...now there are no such things as "accidents" just "unsafe acts".

Good luck to the crew, passengers, the injred and others that were there today.

FN FAL said:
In any case, a homicide is defined by most state statutes as a death that was from unatural causes. From the moment of the childs death, this case became a homicide investigation.

You're right, maybe there won't be any charges...I'm just telling you about criminal process and the state law of illinois. To say what a prosecutor will or wont do is not for me. They may have a law in Illinois that says all homicides must at least go to a grand jury before they will "no bill".

Keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer. However, criminal prosecution for negligent crimes, even those without obvious "intent" is all the rage.

I have done papers in college on "overcriminalization". Seems that people were asleep at the wheel when these negligence laws got passed...now there are no such things as "accidents" just "unsafe acts".

Good luck to the crew, passengers, the injred and others that were there today.

Excellent points and insight FN FAL. I appreciate the response. Given IL law, this could be very interesting.

It's not often pilots face criminal prosecution.

FN FAL said:

So if I go jump off a bridge onto rocks, since that is most certainly a death from "unnatural causes", it would become a homicide investigation? And what about a 1 car accident where someone ran into a bridge abutment? The police and the prosecutors decide whether a death of any kind is going to be investigated as a homicide. If the pilots are shown by the NTSB to have acted in a reasonable and prudent manner a prosecutor would be an idiot to try to prosecute them for anything, let alone any type of murder.

To the best of my knowledge, no air line pilot has ever been prosecuted in any state in the country as a result of a death in an accident or incident. In fact, I don't believe there have been any succesful civil cases against air line pilots after accidents either.

lots of FI lawyers

I didn't realize how many FI-ers had law degrees, and specialized in criminal defense....

:rolleyes:

To prosecute for a criminal violation, two things must exist

MENS REA - the mental state of the violator and his intention

ACTUS REAS - the actual action itself

BOTH must exist for a prosecution (or should I say a successful prosecution)

Example

Joe, aware that his car has an exhaust leak, asks his ex-girlfriend to go with him to the store. He enters the store and tells her to stay inside, knowing she will be dead in 15 minutes. She dies and Joe gets prosecuted, because he has intent (he wanted to kill her) and he completed the action (he physically got her into the car and told her to remain in the car). Joe would not have been prosecuted if one of these elements did not exist.

Larry, is headed to the store in his beat up jalopy, his only car available, and his baby needs formula, so he has no choice. His neighbor, Cindy, would like to go the store and she joins him. Upon arrival, Cindy asks him to buy some milk and she will stay in the car and listen to her song on the radio. Unfortunately, an exhaust leak kills Cindy. Larry is not prosecuted since no intent exists nor criminal action to carry out the intent.

I am 105% sure the flight crew did not intend to kill anybody, and the "action" itself was an accident and not of an intended proactive effort to carry out criminal action.

end of story

Civil lawsuits are an entire different animal as is FAA penalties and fines

But there is nothing criminal here

IL homicide definition

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=072000050HArt%2E+9&ActID=1876&ChapAct=720%26nbsp%3BILCS%26nbsp%3B5%2F&ChapterID=53&ChapterName=CRIMINAL+OFFENSES&SectionID=29493&SeqStart=10800&SeqEnd=11700&ActName=Criminal+Code+of+1961%2E

Last edited:
It is surprising to me the "General" forum has almost no flames, jokes, or inapropriate posts. Oh the other hand if you look at the post of the same subject in the "Majors" board there are tons of inapropriate posts.

Here is a copy of my post there - hopefully we can help out the family that lost thier child in this horible accident!
=========================================================
My family's hearts and prayers go out to the families of the injured and dead. It amazes me that some here make light of this situation. Most, if not all here give up many holidays and special events to work and provide for our wives/husbands and especially our little ones. Yesterday someone lost their child in a tragedy that NONE of us know the cause. Stop and think for a second if you were that child’s family, or even the family of one of the SWA pilots. There lives have changed forever in a split second. The holiday season/spirit may be gone forever for these individuals. And here some of you sit and make light. For any of you (E120ASA, Hoke) I hope for your sake you don't have kids and that you guys are Sky Gods, because the Karma train is headed your way and that is one bullet you just can't get out of the way of!

To Admin or moderators: Another board (non-aviation) I belong to from time to time, when the situation warrants, takes a collection and delivers it to special people in need. If the family of the child can be determined and you are willing to, I'd like to donate to a Christmas fund for this family. After all funds are collected a check in the name of Flightinfo.com could be sent to this family. We have two weeks to get this together if you would so choose.

Prayers to all those involved.

Baja

Latest resources

Back