Air Wiskey or Xjet,, serious responses would be great

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
B777 said:
I don't think you necessarly have to work at XJT to know what is going on with their contract. Their contract with CAL will be expiring sometimes in the next year or so, don't hold me up on the date. And CAL is asking them to lower the rate. I believe they are currently in negotiations.
Hub exclusivitey ends in '07, contract for feed is up in '10.
Negotiations have commenced with no word about rates or the lowering of them. Hate to spoil the party with facts.

Last edited:
DirkkDiggler said:
Can all the XJT pilots say, "M-E-S-A, MESA!" Good luck once you lose exclusivity!
Yes we can but it leaves a nasty taste in our mouths. I would prefer not utter that word ever.

Last edited:
Britpilot said:
Negotiations have commenced with no word about rates or the lowering of them. Hate to spoil the party with facts.

Could you be specific as to what this implies? :)

ATRCA said:
I have corrected you before and I'll do so again. The XJT contract with CAL (know as the CPA) does not as you say "expire in the next year or so." The only thing that is expiring is the exclusivity in the hubs. There is a big difference. Adios.

I suppose I should have been specific on the use of the word "contract". They are currently in renogation on the block hour rate they charge CAL. CAL wants them to lower them to a ridiculous price. XJT is willing to lower them, but not to what CAL wants. The negotionation deadline was Nov 1 and now has been extended to NOV 15, and they are still no where near close to have an agreement. Block rates are block rates, does not matter whether the flight is out of a hub or not. If negotiations fail, XJT will continue to fly at current rates until end of 2006.

All the above are facts. The following is just my opinion. CAL wants them to drop the rates to Mesa and XJT is saying no way jose. First United puts up AWAC contract for bid, then Delta wants Comair to fly at Mesa's rates, or the connection flying will go to Mesa, like it did in MCO (30 planes), and I am sure CAL is leaning to that. I seen an industry trend and my hats off to AWAC for telling UA to buzz off.

Britpilot said:

I think what I meant was could you elaborate?

AWAC currently has 715 active pilots on the seniority list for 70 aircraft. That falls way short of the proper staffing needed for that many aircraft. They can't keep up with attrition right now so heavy hiring will continue well into next year.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go with Air Wiskey. I'm from the mid-atlantic area and would do it for the domiciles (ORF, PHL, DCA). Aside from that, I guess they're about even as far a airlines go. Travel bennies are a huge perk for USAirways Express guys. Good luck with your decision!

Snaab

Boondock Saint said:
I think what I meant was could you elaborate?
Certainly.
First a little history. Continental Express was formed from three companies, Britt Air, Rocky Mountain Air and Bar Harbour Airlines. The joined companies became Continental Express, Lorenzo's "Super Commuter"
Continental became sole owner of Continental Express.
In the summer of 2001 Continental decided to sell Contineal Express in an IPO and named the new company Express Jet Holdings which owned Express Jet Airlines DBA Continental Express. With me so far? The IPO was cancelled after 9/11 and then re-instated in 2002. Continental needed to raise cash to pay for it's pension obligations because of a cash shortfall after it purchased all the shares owned by North West Airlines for an inflated price thus leaving the company low on cash.
A contract was drawn up for the IPO. It gave XJT the sole provider of JET feed into Continental's three hubs, EWR, IAH, CLE. This contract is a "fee per departure" type contract whereas XJT is paid a fixed sum per departure. The contract also provides for a profit margin of 10% for the term.
After the IPO XJT owed Continental a large sum of money for it's existance. XJT has paid this amount off early thus allowing it to stockpile cash.
The contract runs until 2010 (10 years) and is ammendable.
Continental has been in talks with XJT on the structure of the fees and the reduction of said fees as the deadline for hub exclusitivity approaches. As of today no announcement has been made as to the progress of these talks excepect that XJT has countered the proposal from Continental.
XJT is a paper company. It does not own the airplanes, it sub-leases them from Continental who leased them from a financial institution.
XJT does own or part own a paint shot in Mexico and a charter company in Texas. It also sells maintaniance services to all comers.
Continental continues to own a few shares of XJT and many of Continentals large investors also own XJT shares. The two companies are tied at the waist and are dependant.
What exactly will happen before 2007 and 2010 is any one's guess, but XJT's current future depends on the health of Continental until such time as XJT can obtain feed from another company or aquires another regional carrier which it is in a position to do with the large amount of cash on hand.
Clear as mud now is'nt it?

Last edited:
What a lot of outsiders do not understand is how connected the two companies are. CAL has a vested interest to see XJT succeed. I'm not saying that we will definitely keep our exclusivity but I do believe it's likelyhood is pretty good. Time will tell but it's funny to see how many guys around here are just begging for the chance to tell us "I told you so."

Latest resources

Back