Air Wiskey or Xjet,, serious responses would be great

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

justenjoyflyin

I like both airlines always have,, I have to make a decision between going to air wisconsin or expressjet. Pay is about the same even though I hear air wiskey pilots might be getting more, quality of life seems to be close, xjet as much more routes, I have heard moral may be a little low at air wiskey b/c of the move to the east coast.( I know I know moral is low everywhere b/c we work for a regional airlines, but I enjoy myself so we can leave the bitter people out of this thread). Obviously the airline I choose I will be at for a long time especially with the increase in pilots from comair,mesaba furloughs, and independence when they finally tank. I know xjet has a 3 to 4 year upgrade. Air wiskey they probably dont know considering all the people that left and they are hiring. I dont know if I like the fact that air wiskey is with usair even though I think usair will be fine for awhile,,,, continental at least is doing better then most and xjet made 25mil last quater... If anyone has serious pros and cons of these airlines I would appreciate it since its a big decision,,, I also know its my decision and what I want,,, but a little help in company info wouldnt hurt?

thanks everyone

Not sure about their contract but we (XJET) have some things in ours that no one else has. Vacation clause comes to mind. Our trip trading system is very good (when there's coverage). Otherwise go where your living situation and quality of life will be the best. That's my advice. Flying is flying, doesn't matter what equipment you're in or who you are flying for. You can be flying for a great airline, great equipment, great overnights, making great money. But if you don't have any time off in between all those great flights you'll learn to hate it very quickly. And on your time off you want to be able to recoupe, relax and recharge and that's not easy to do if you aren't happy about where you live or your quality of life.

Just my two cents.

Air Wisco is a big risk with the real possibility of an even bigger payoff!!!
You could easily be in the left seat of an E190 within 5 years, but if everyone knew this then everyone would be applying there.
It just comes down to how solid you are in your beliefs.
Good Luck.

Both are great companies. If I had to choose, i'd go off of which domiciles I like best, which for me would be XJET.

Your upgrade at AWAC will be faster, plus you will be higher (relatively) on the seniority list as many are quitting AWAC because they do not want to move. As far as AWAC being a more risky move, I don't buy that. There is no certainty anywhere in this industry. I have 2 buddies that work for XJET, one is a close friend. He is a general manager and has been with them for over 10 years. Xpressjet is I think currently at 260 airplanes and he said at this moment there are no plans for more airplanes. They do want to go above 270 so that they can start flying for airlines other than Continental. I would not be surprised if CO files for bankruptcy in 2006 just so they can dump their pensions like all the majors are doing now. Again, that is all speculation and it is just my opinon, but I think it is sound to say that no airline is safe these days. I heard good things about both airlines. But AWAC has I think around 700 pilots? And XJET over 1500 I think? I would be inclined to think that you are more like a # at XJET. If you are looking for quality of life and more days off I think you will get there faster with AWAC.

by the way, consider yourself very lucky if you get a job with either one, they are both among the best if not the best regionals.

by the way, consider yourself very lucky if you get a job with either one, they are both among the best if not the best regionals.

I remember when I was originally searching for a regional job. The "hot" carriers were ACA, AWAC, XJT, Eagle and Skywest....not to mention ASA, and Comair.

Look what has happened to a majority of those. And don't think it can't happen as just as quickly to XJT.

B777 gives good advice. Consider yourself lucky if you get a job with either one.

I would tend to lean towards Air Wiskey.
Co Ex sounds good with the whole dedicated feed for Continental, but ask yourself this question.
When the contract is up in 2 yrs (?) do you really think that MESA and Chataqua will not be bidding on it and I will bet that their prices are alot lower than Co Ex rates are these days.
So its really a gamble, but I would think that Air Wiskey and US Air/ America West would be a better bet in the long run.

just my $0.02

The most Junior Capt at XJET is a 2004 hire in EWR...6 months senior to me....

Mooser

B777 said:
Your upgrade at AWAC will be faster, plus you will be higher (relatively) on the seniority list as many are quitting AWAC because they do not want to move. As far as AWAC being a more risky move, I don't buy that. There is no certainty anywhere in this industry. I have 2 buddies that work for XJET, one is a close friend. He is a general manager and has been with them for over 10 years. Xpressjet is I think currently at 260 airplanes and he said at this moment there are no plans for more airplanes. They do want to go above 270 so that they can start flying for airlines other than Continental. I would not be surprised if CO files for bankruptcy in 2006 just so they can dump their pensions like all the majors are doing now. Again, that is all speculation and it is just my opinon, but I think it is sound to say that no airline is safe these days. I heard good things about both airlines. But AWAC has I think around 700 pilots? And XJET over 1500 I think? I would be inclined to think that you are more like a # at XJET. If you are looking for quality of life and more days off I think you will get there faster with AWAC.

Agree with most but to correct XJT has almost 2800 pilots. We had 1500 quite some time ago.

Latest resources

Back