Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran or CAL? haven't we been here before?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Talk about thread creep . . . . . . Does this mean AirTran is going to be announcing Amsterdam soon?

Just think of all the extra half hours we'll be paid for the "whiz quiz" upon arrival back in ATL.

Ty Webb said:
Talk about thread creep . . . . . . Does this mean AirTran is going to be announcing Amsterdam soon?

Yea, but with the 717 and two fuel stops. Sorry Ty...you shouldn't have gone to the mainline. :)

FlyAuburn said:
CAL !!!!!!!!!!! I know a dude that is thinking about leaving FL for CAL and he lives in ATL. Ouch...
Good culture at CAL.

Yeah, everyone loves a senority list that is 30% scab.

Everyone also loves PBS, 50 pay for dead-heads, and pour trip construction.

ALSO - If you went to Airtran and CAL at the same time and flew the 73 at both places you would make more before retirement at Airtran than you would at CAL. I know people will say "but at CAL you can fly widebodys and the 75" and a bunch of other stuff that pays more but alot of people don't more to the 75 because the trips are ********************ty and alot of people don't fly international because they want to live past 63 so take a real look at these facts before you make a decision.

Last edited:
ERJFO said:
Yeah, everyone loves a senority list that is 30% scab.

Is it that high? I honestly didn't check.

Everyone also loves PBS, 50 pay for dead-heads, and pour trip construction.

PBS mock bids haven't been stellar, but we'll see. I can't say that I'm optimistic on this one
DH pay is currently at 75 percent, then going to 100 percent next year.
"Poor" trip construction is really a relative deal. Looking at my bid packet, the majority of trips look pretty good. There are crappy trips at the very bottom of the scale, but what airline doesn't have some of those?

ALSO - If you went to Airtran and CAL at the same time and flew the 73 at both places you would make more before retirement at Airtran than you would at CAL.

No one's crystal ball is that clear.

I know people will say "but at CAL you can fly widebodys and the 75" and a bunch of other stuff that pays more but alot of people don't more to the 75 because the trips are ********************ty and alot of people don't fly international because they want to live past 63 so take a real look at these facts before you make a decision.

The international trips that I'm looking at are pretty good. Three days with late sign-ins, early ends. A lot of the guys saying that international flying sucks here are the people who don't want senior pilots bidding into their planes and bumping them back. I was just awarded the 777 and was told to expect to go to IAH for landing currency since reserves are rarely used. How this will kill me off before 63 is a mystery.

I wouldn't recommend one airline over the other because each person looks for different things. A good friend of mine flies for AirTran and loves it. I'm having a good time at CAL. If your friend has a choice, it looks like a win/win situation either way.

ERJFO,

Did CAL call you the day of your interview or the day after to tell you that they turned you down?

SuperKooter said:
CAL, thats a nobrainer. Airtran is a glorified regional and that's all it is.

Airtran is hardly a "glorified regional" as you put it.

Some pay numbers from Airline pilot central

AirTran
Yr FO CAPT
1 43 102
2 56 102
3 61 106 (most likely upgrade to captain by end of yr 3)
4 66 112
5 72 120
6 74 124
12 79 153

CO (737)
Yr FO Capt
1 30 30 (boy that looks a lot like regional pay)
2 55 132
3 64 133
4 73 134
5 80 135
6 88 137
12 98 144 Upgrade prob around year 8

Airtran insurance is rather expensive but at least you are covered within one month of being hired.

They need to update the upgrade times at CAL. It's changing in a big way. There's talk of two and a half years to the left seat.

SuperKooter said:
CAL, thats a nobrainer. Airtran is a glorified regional and that's all it is.

Just keep telling yourself that . . . I'm sure it takes the sting out of the rejection letter.

I was hired after September 11th, and I am making more than any other Legacy pilot with the same seniority.

.******************************bag!

Latest resources

Back