Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran or CAL? haven't we been here before?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SkiFishFly said:
Airtran is hardly a "glorified regional" as you put it.

Some pay numbers from Airline pilot central

AirTran
Yr FO CAPT
1 43 102
2 56 102
3 61 106 (most likely upgrade to captain by end of yr 3)
4 66 112
5 72 120
6 74 124
12 79 153

CO (737)
Yr FO Capt
1 30 30 (boy that looks a lot like regional pay)
2 55 132
3 64 133
4 73 134
5 80 135
6 88 137
12 98 144 Upgrade prob around year 8

Airtran insurance is rather expensive but at least you are covered within one month of being hired.

AT upgrade is probably going longer than 3 years......

CAL upgrade will be less than 5 years in the next two years.....

You are also looking at the "lowest" rates for CAL. You can go to the 757/767 in year two for more money......

To each his own I guess. I live in the A T L, don't have to commute and the crews have been a pleasure to fly with (mostly). I like AirTran and don't plan on leaving.

GreatView said:
AT upgrade is probably going longer than 3 years......

I always love it when some idiot posts something with absolutely no knowlege of the real situation :smash: .

The upgrade at AirTran is actually going shorter, not longer, and the current Vacancy Bid, which closes on 8/20 shows 737 CA slots going to seven pilots hired on 4/29/04, which would be two years and four months from newhire to CA award.

Nice try, thanks for playing.

Last edited:
ACWild said:
Hey Ty, I thought you went to Alaska Airlines.:confused:

No . . . . don't know where you would have gotten that from. Must be some other schwinging Czech Airman ;) .

With that next award, I will be in the middle of the list of 737 Captains . . . with a short, on-line commute. Nope, I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Ty Webb said:
No . . . . don't know where you would have gotten that from. Must be some other schwinging Czech Airman ;) .

With that next award, I will be in the middle of the list of 737 Captains . . . with a short, on-line commute. Nope, I don't plan on leaving anytime soon.

Sorry, must have been someone else. Congratulations on the upcoming upgrade.:beer:

180ToTheMarker said:
To each his own I guess.

That's all that matters. It couldn't have been said better.

SkiFishFly said:
Airtran is hardly a "glorified regional" as you put it.

Some pay numbers from Airline pilot central

AirTran
Yr FO CAPT
1 43 102
2 56 102
3 61 106 (most likely upgrade to captain by end of yr 3)
4 66 112
5 72 120
6 74 124
12 79 153

CO (737)
Yr FO Capt
1 30 30 (boy that looks a lot like regional pay)
2 55 132
3 64 133
4 73 134
5 80 135
6 88 137
12 98 144 Upgrade prob around year 8

Airtran insurance is rather expensive but at least you are covered within one month of being hired.

Pick whoever hires you first and then whoever works best for your family. While the above information is technically correct, its does not paint the entire picture. I was hired in April at CAL and have just picked up the 777. The pay for that is over $71/hour. I can not speak to the upgrade time at Air Tran, if 3 years is the standard thats awesome. I can tell you that looking at the last snap shot at CAL I SHOULD move to the left seat in 4 years as a conversion Captain. I picked CAL because I live close to Newark and would not have to commute. The average 777 reserve pilot gets called just over once per month, meaning that I should expect to be home around 23 days per month. Take care of your family (if you have one) and let the cards play out. You will never know who is the better choice until about 15 years from now.

Latest resources

Back