Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran or CAL? haven't we been here before?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well I wound up at CAL (got hired before Air Tran called for an interview), so I'm a little biased, but I do want to clarify a couple things that I've noticed in my experience here so far regarding first year pay.

Newhires on the 737 sit reserve in EWR for less than two months. On the 757, it might be a little bit longer (for me it was two months, though). Once off reserve, you will definately make more than the 2300/mo that's shown on all the pay scales. I've been averaging probably 95-100hrs/mo or more in pay, bringing home usually 3100-3300/mo. That isn't really that great still, but it is much better than 2300/month!

No health insurance sucks. Supplimental can be found for relatively cheap if you look around for it.

Assuming (big word there) nothin changes, with retirements alone newhires today are looking at a 4yr upgrade if they want to slum it in EWR. Any growth (6-7%) is just gravy on top of the retirements. That puts them at about $143/hr on the blended rate. While you make somewhat more money at airtran first year (and have to factor in the cost of supplimental insurance), I don't think it would take 10 years to make up the difference.

Oh, and about sitting there for 7+ hrs making the day go by slowly, I've grown to like the idea of doing a 2 leg, 15-18hr 3day trip that shows late afternoon and finishes around noon with a 24hr layover in a pretty cool place.... It ain't a bad gig.

Good input, thanks alot.

It's interesting to see other peoples opinion on what to do. As I said, if it were me, I'd go to CAL (assuming he gets offered the job.)

Having been furloughed from CAL and recalled, I have seen the good and bad at CAL. Obviously right now is a good time, a little over 1 and 1/2 years back from recall, and i can already hold captain, but I chose to move to the 756 and bump patriot328 back a number:D

I am leary of offering any career advice to anyone, but he would be commuting from the west coast to ATL for Air Tran, at least with CAL he could shorten the commute to IAH. I would think it would be open and shut, but he doesn't even know if he is going to take the interview, which I think is a big mistake.

FlyAuburn said:
CAL !!!!!!!!!!! I know a dude that is thinking about leaving FL for CAL and he lives in ATL. Ouch...
Good culture at CAL.[/quote}

He will more than likely commute anyway so he will probably still stay in Atlanta. It shouldn’t be that hard of a transition, wish him the best of luck. Adios, Primo

Patriot is correct. Been at CAL 10 months and according to the last system bid I was 500 spots from the most junior 737 CA in EWR 600 in IAH. At that rate it is about 2.5-3 years. On top of that hiring is about to get crazy again (rumor of 1400) for the next two years. Of course that is if we don't merge or another tragic event happens.

Ten years is a stretch.

Go with the CAL! More options for aircraft, good upgrade time, better domiciles, plus you won't have to be called Critter Boy by family and friends.:laugh:

Uppercrust said:
Go with the CAL! More options for aircraft, good upgrade time, better domiciles, plus you won't have to be called Critter Boy by family and friends.:laugh:

I'll bet your family and friends have a lot of pet names for you, too Crusty, and "Critter Boy" would probably be a pleasant change from "Basement-dwelling, unemployed closet-case" and "Weirdly-fixated on being turned down by AirTran homosexual thread-stalker".

Ty Webb said:
I'll bet your family and friends have a lot of pet names for you, too Crusty, and "Critter Boy" would probably be a pleasant change from "Basement-dwelling, unemployed closet-case" and "Weirdly-fixated on being turned down by AirTran homosexual thread-stalker".

That's Employed Basement Dweller to you Mr. Critter Cakes!:laugh:

Uppercrust, can we have one Airtran related thread without you guys going back and forth flinging poo at each other?

More like 65 retirements over the next 5 years. Here ya go.. This is the latest list I think. Its not very many.

2006 - 12
2007 - 12
2008 - 15
2009 - 14
2010 - 12
2011 - 20
2012 - 14
2013 - 18
2014 - 18
2015 - 18
2016 - 37
2017 - 29
2018 - 34
2019 - 41
2020 - 35
2021 - 59
2022 - 62
2023 - 52
2024 - 51
2025 - 55
2026 - 71
2027 - 65
2028 - 71
2029 - 76
2030 - 66
2031 - 62
2032 - 68
2033 - 44
2034 - 40
2035 - 31
2036 - 21
2037 - 10
2038 - 2
2039 - 1

of course this could all change if the retirement age is raised to 65.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back