• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran Bid: Is it closed? Results?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I imagine most people bid for QOL/base. It's all a personal preference and as stated above, it's water under the bridge. Let's roll..

A lot AirTran guys/gals bid 717 CA because they knew at the very latest Jan 1, 2015 they will get SWA Captain cash. If they bid SWA 737 FO they would have gotten a slight overall bump in pay / and large QOL enhancement much sooner but would have risked not being able to get back into the left seat as quickly when Jan 1, 2015 came if we weren't upgrading at that time (I think we will be, but it was a risk.) These dynamics have nothing to do with the implications by Lear70 that he was right all those months ago when he said being a Captain was more important than the SWA money, in fact I think the way this bid shakes out is going to be very much about the money (with a little desire to control QOL mixed in.)

I am looking forward to a point in the future when all our badges say "XXXXXX... is the Spirt of Southwest."

This is true. Lots of angry people on our internal forum, and Lear is trying to calm everyone down and get them to move forward. Attacking him makes no sense.

I think you're embellishing a little. The SAME people who have been bitching since day one on that forum are still bitching. Lear made a very appropriate comment on one thread (which I gave him props for). Basically, what he said was, let people vent once and for all on their own schedule, and then we can finally put it to rest. If anything it's a putting the negativity to rest period.

I bid 717CA because it gave me the best guarantee to keep a short, one-leg commute for the longest amount of time.

It looked to me like most guys who bid 717 CA already live in ATL or the Tampa area. Many of the senior guys who bid 737 FO live near MCO or other SWA domiciles.

Regards,
TW

Lear70 that he was right all those months ago when he said being a Captain was more important than the SWA money, in fact I think the way this bid shakes out is going to be very much about the money (with a little desire to control QOL mixed in.)
The problem with that statement is with the 717 CA now, comes the SWA CA money. So Lear70 didn't know anything about keeping seats then. As many of us where saying. Do you honestly think they would have bid 717 CA if they would have never received SWA CA pay? It's always been about the money and QOL. You kind of contradict yourself. It has never been about once a CA always a CA and they deserve that seat. This result shows it is more about money. Some are more risk tolerant then others. Very lucky to have the option I would say.

Last edited:
The problem with that statement is with the 717 CA now, comes the SWA CA money.
Since 717CA will stay on AirTran pay until January 1, 2015 I'm guessing it's more about the shorter-term . . . guys wanting to stay in ATL or TPA domiciles.

Of course, our Pilots with multiple ex-wives (or multiple current wives) may be looking towards that future raise. :D

Last edited:
Thread creep.....

Does anyone know how to get to that great interactive SWA/AT seniority projector? I believe it was done by an A/T guy, and it was far superior to anything our union gave us...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back