• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Tran Bid: Is it closed? Results?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's also interesting that although mid-level SWA 737 F/O's will make more if they "work the system", and our pilots are aware of that, almost every pilot that COULD remain a 717 Captain did so, even though they could have been a mid-level or even senior F/O.

Indicates the CA seat was more important than the extra money as a F/O working the system.

I counted about 180 of the top 500 pilots took the voluntary downgrade. Thats roughly 36 percent. Not sure if you looked at the whole list. Also noted that the junior 717 Captain will be 07/2004 DOH.

Last edited:
Humvee, I saw the same thing. I'm a mid-junior 73 Capt who bid 73FO and there are at least 170 guys senior to me who did the same as me.

No shortage of captains (myself included) who thought it would be better to be a SWA FO than a FL capt.

Sorry if I can't deduce the answer to this question from the above thread, but what seniority level pilots will come to the SWA list with the transition of the first few AirTran 737 aircraft?

Where do these folks slot in the integrated list?

It's also interesting that although mid-level SWA 737 F/O's will make more if they "work the system", and our pilots are aware of that, almost every pilot that COULD remain a 717 Captain did so, even though they could have been a mid-level or even senior F/O.

Indicates the CA seat was more important than the extra money as a F/O working the system.

Why do you put out this mis information? I can only think you can't move on and try and be a part of one team SWA. Your a snake in the grass.

Humvee, I saw the same thing. I'm a mid-junior 73 Capt who bid 73FO and there are at least 170 guys senior to me who did the same as me.

No shortage of captains (myself included) who thought it would be better to be a SWA FO than a FL capt.

Where do you think the bulk will try to go for a base? MCO? BWI?

Staying on the 717 makes sense for some as it appears to guarantee an east coast base and no commuting to OAK. Losing money might be worth it in the short term to many...probably would for me.

Staying on the 717 makes sense for some as it appears to guarantee an east coast base and no commuting to OAK. Losing money might be worth it in the short term to many...probably would for me.

Not to mention that seniority within the 717 is better, for most, than if they went over to the 737 side. Even if some of the 717 guys can't hold ATL, once the entire fleet is on the SWA side there will (hopefully) be the ability for some trip trades. Motivations for each choice is, obviously, personal .. but universally (except for the 'haters') everyone seems happy.

Sorry if I can't deduce the answer to this question from the above thread, but what seniority level pilots will come to the SWA list with the transition of the first few AirTran 737 aircraft?

Where do these folks slot in the integrated list?

Good question. We dont know yet. SWA planning will look at the bid and come up with their plan. Will it be all ATL? All Captains? A mix? We are waiting to see as well.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back